Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:16 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
No doubt that Filipinos learn Arabic eventually when they are in the Middle East, but it takes much longer than learning Spanish. You can meet Filipinos who are fluent in Spanish after only two years.
Actually, some of their language is like tagalog like "Kalas" , "Sabon" which is also an spanish. "futa" lol is towel but different sounds in tagalog

Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,995,779 times
Quote:
No doubt that Filipinos learn Arabic eventually when they are in the Middle East, but it takes much longer than learning Spanish. You can meet Filipinos who are fluent in Spanish after only two years.
and there are filipinas who can speak korean in only 1-2 years...

9months baby knows how to brush her two lil' teeth - YouTube

it has to do with filipinos being to adapt to any environment

Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
and there are filipinas who can speak korean in only 1-2 years...

9months baby knows how to brush her two lil' teeth - YouTube

it has to do with filipinos being to adapt to any environment
What is she married to a Korean? I'd hope that she would know at least some Korean. But you don't know if she's fluent until you talk to her. But I do agree, Filipinos can adapt to a new environment easily, but I think it's much easier for them to adapt to a Hispanic country or the US better than Asian or Middle Eastern countries.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,995,779 times
Quote:
What is she married to a Korean? I'd hope that she would know at least some Korean. But you don't know if she's fluent until you talk to her. But I do agree, Filipinos can adapt to a new environment easily, but I think it's much easier for them to adapt to a Hispanic country or the US better than Asian or Middle Eastern countries.
yea I believe so...she is pretty darn fluent, most people there only speak korean ...you see filipinos adapt to new environments

unlike mexicans who come to the US expecting you to speak spanish to them..

Old 07-19-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
okay and there are plenty of filipino-americans who only speak english and not tagalog..your point is??

majority of filipinos dont speak spanish and only speak one of the filipino languages and english

there are filipinos who can speak filipino languages, english, japanese

there are filipinos who can speak filipino languages, danish, english
I guess it's all in the heart if you are willing to learn the language you will learn it.
Just like this american kid who loves the Philippines.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times
Quote:
majority of the people in the Philippines does not know what a hispanic is let alone claim they are one

before I came to America I did not know Latin America even existed....

this is hilarious identifying a nation to a group that they know nothing about

Philippine culture is actually more "SEAsian" then Latin if you ever been there

Even the mostly spanish blooded elite in the Philippines dont speak spanish anymore...its english and mandarin

many filipino may claim they have spanish blood(which isnt true most of the time)
but in a nutshell its just a facade...filipinos culturally truly are SEAsian
genetically they are in between SEAsian and East asian
On the contrary, I suspect that most Filipino Americans don't know what ASEAN even is. Heck, off the top of my head, I can only name like five ASEAN countries, though I do know there's at least that many more.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Honestly I have no idea. My family had some associations with Marcos back in the day, and from what I understand, his harshness as a dictator was somewhat exaggerated by the media, and he did bring a lot of good things to the country, which people tend to forget in hindsight. But that's all I know. We had to get out of dodge after Aquino got whacked.

More to the point of the discussion at hand, the reason we have such a strong colonial mentality is because colonialism is literally all that the country has ever known. It's going to take a long time for us to establish our own identity, especially from behind the shadow of the U.S.
Philippines is still paying trillion of dollars debt, I don't know how we can pay that debt. We have a lot of resources, but I don't know why they don't use it. I guess they should start digging at Benham Rise for natural gas. so we will just pay few amount of money in electricity.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:30 AM

831 posts, read 680,087 times
Quote:
oh crap...and majority of the Philippines is oblivious to this?? or they choose to ignore it??

Lack of knowledge and using religion to blindly forgive our shortcomings??

I'd say it's a good mix of both, though it's a little more complex than that.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:26 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
Problem with Filipinos and their belief of what religion is what its for, is that they interpret it as "How to serve" - be "subjects" if you will.

Others use the it for a different term, its the "how do i use religion to get ahead", they are not using the "subject" mentality, instead. Empowerment.

Thats where Filipinos get lost, christianity was a white mans religion, that why i hate it, though i do believe in a superior being, a superior being that represents ALL shades under the sun, not just for the supposed chosen few and for all inferiors to blindly follow.

God is not surrounded with lavish churches with bling looking cups or kinglike looking preists.

If humans were made in the image of god, then WE are both masters and servants of our own destiny's. He cant possibly be in many places all at once to solve peoples problems thats why he blessed man with brains, so he can help himself.
That's not true. The concept of the "chosen people" is associated most closely with Judaism, not Christianity. And there is no such thing as an "inferior" in Christian teachings.

But I do agree that God blessed us with intelligence so that we can be masters of our own destiny, and that we should use it to govern ourselves without relying on biblical interpretations.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:23 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
There was Good reason why we were "Pearl of Asia" - ONCE!! and that all happened durring Marcos rule.

He was doing pretty good in elivating people from colonial mentality, imagine Ronald reagan looking at Marcos as some mentor he can call a friend? i mean seriously?
He was against the idea of toppling his long time friend, yes you heard me right. Did the us play a hand in this, you betcha!. It was played out by Reagans vice president and his cronies and the IMF organisation.

Imagine, the us harboring a bonafied commie like aquino only to send him to his death when they needed to serve his purpose.

If your really interested, read up on this. I have many other examples but need to find them.

Shultz and the 'Hit Men' Destroyed the Philippines
Marcos was also pretty good at clamping down on opposition and in amasing wealth. I don't think Aquino was a communist. Corazon's family were large land owners, they'd have to give all that up if the country became communist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia