Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 12:45 PM

13 posts, read 21,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
brazilians aren't hispanic. they are latino. hispanic = spanish speaking. they speak portuguese.

latino has to do with being in or from latin america.
hispanic has to do with the spanish language.

this is why spanish ppl are hispanic but not latino, why brazilians are latino but not hispanic, why haitians are not hispanic but could be considered latino (they share the island with the dominican republic which is in latin america) and why certain countries' citizens (such as cuba, dr, pr, etc.) are hispanic and latino.

being Latino is not a race, herencia, tribe, color, religion but a Culture. Culture of the Romans. the former people of Rome.
though these doesn't anymore exist but their culture still lives on.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Wow, that's pretty narrowminded AND ignorant. (Not all asians or southeast asians are buddhists) Christianity was forced upon most of the ancestors of Christians in the world today, either by force or economic factors, or deceit. Filipinos today who are CATHOLIC or CHRISTIAN were born well after the fact that the Spanish had coercively proselytized the islands. They are willing christians who reject most animist or east asian beliefs.

That being said, I think the Phillippines does fall into a somewhat Hispanic category. They watch Mexican novelas (I was floored to learn that!). Their names are Spanish. Many of their words are Spanish (days of the week, numbers, etc). And they also have many unfortunate similarities with LatinAmerican countries rather than Asian countries (legacy of our wonderful motherland Spain): totalitarian dictators, coups, massive corruption within the government, slow economic growth, massive emigration to wealthier nations, kidnappings, etc.

If a filipino doesn't want to be considered Hispanic, cool. But if a filipino says, "I am hispanic" I'll say, "wassup hermano!"

Gloria Macapagal Arroyo has reinstated Spanish as one of the official languages of the Philippines, btw.

reinstated! that's great!;-)

Spanish still the unifying Language among Filipino People and never it'll be Tagalog.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:59 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer_Cyle View Post

Spanish still the unifying Language among Filipino People and never it'll be Tagalog.
Even Manuel Quezon who implemented the Tagalog Language don't want the spanish language to remove and he kept it as one of the official language during his term. I guess to be fair to other ethnic languages - all dialects should consider national language. Use English and Spanish as official language.

He only use 2 official languages - English and Spanish
then people voted for tagalog to all the dialects in the Philippines to considered as national

Declare all the dialects as national
bring back spanish as one of the official aside from english
like before.

The father of National Language (Tagalog) of the Philippines
Manuel Luis Molina Quezon
Quote:
"My loyalty to my party ends where my loyalty to my country begins."[13]

"Social Justice is far more beneficial when applied as a matter of sentiment, and not of law."[14]

"I would rather have a country run like hell by Filipinos than a country run like heaven by the Americans, because however bad a Filipino government might be, we can always change it."[15]

"Pray for me so that I can return to the Philippines. I feel so weak that I'm afraid I cannot make it"

"I'd rather be called "Quezón the Letranite" than "Quezón the President"."

"The Latin American people believed and feel that we Filipinos form past of that vast family, the children of Spain. Thus, although Spain ceased to govern those countries many years ago and although another nation is sovereign in the Philippines, those Latin-American peoples feel themselves as brothers to the people of the Philippines. It is the Spanish language that still binds us to those peoples, and the Spanish language will bind us to those peoples eternally if we have the wisdom and patriotism of preserving it."

Civics and Ethics Code
As promulgated by the Manuel L. Quezón The First President of the Philippine Commonwealth
1. Have faith in Divine Providence that guides the destinies of men and nations.
2. Love your country for it is the home of your people, the seat of your affections, and the sources of your happiness and well-being. It's defense is your primary duty. Be ready at all times to sacrifice and die for it if necessary.
3. Respect the Constitution which is the expression of your sovereign will. The government is your government. It has been established for your safety and welfare. Obey the laws and see that they are observed by all and that public officials comply with their duties.
4. Pay your taxes willingly and promptly. Citizenship implies not only rights but also obligations.
5. Safeguard the purity of suffrage and abide by the decisions of the majority.
6. Love and respect your parents. It is your duty to serve them gratefully and well.
7. Value your honor as you value your life. Poverty with honor is preferable to wealth with dishonor.
8. Be truthful and be honest in thought and in action. Be just and charitable, courteous but dignified in your dealings with your fellowmen.
9. Lead a clean and frugal life. Do not indulge in frivolity or pretense. Be simple in your dress and modest in your behavior.
10. Live up to the noble traditions of our people. Venerate the memory of our heroes. Their lives point the way to duty and honor.
11. Be industrious. Be not afraid or ashamed to do manual labor. Productive toil is conductive to economic security and adds to the wealth of the nation.
12. Rely on your own efforts for your progress and happiness. Be not easily discouraged. Persevere in the pursuit of your legitimate ambitions.
13. Do your work cheerfully, thoroughly, and well. Work badly done is worse than work undone. Do not leave for tomorrow what you can do today.
14. Contribute to the welfare of your community and promote social justice. You do not live for yourselves and family alone. You are part of society to which you owe definite responsibilities.
15. Cultivate the habit of using goods made in the Philippines. Patronize the products and trades of your countrymen.
16. Use and develop our natural resources and conserve them for posterity. They are the inalienable heritage of our people. Do not traffic with your citizenship.
The vital lesson we must learn from our past is that we can triumph if we only persevere. The Filipino people, by grit, hard work, and faith in God, will march forward to fulfill their destiny.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_L._Quezon

Last edited by pinai; 07-22-2012 at 01:16 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by españolamexicana View Post
NO they don't fit. although chavacano has many spanish words, it is not spanish. i met one who speaks that & honestly i don't understand it clearly & to think that i speak spanish. brazilians & portuguese also their language is more closer to spanish than this one but they're not hispanics. another thing their cultures is very very asian & too far from hispanic. and their still look malays.

our Zamboangueño Chavacano Language is not only all about our language but rather its all about our culture as Hispano o Latino.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I agree, there's a lot of English words in there, but there's still more Spanish. A lot of the words that sound like English aren't derived from English, they're derived from Spanish, but they're related to English.

Words that I could find:

Spanish
pito, estudiante, efectivo, armas, para, alerto, autoridad, crimen, problema, seguridad, clase, mas, seguro, simple, criminal, mismo, una, cada, horas, fuerza.

English
police, patrol, target, zero, crime, incidence, whistle, symbolize, authority, connotation, chief, school, teacher, heightened, alert
(The majority of these words weren't mixed in with the Tagalog, the person speaking simply just switched to English, which is very common among Filipinos)

Soon Tagalog is going to be 50% native words, 25% English-derived, 25% Spanish-derived.

This Filipino language would be easier for a Spanish-speaker to understand, but harder for an English-speaker.

Chavacano de Zamboanga - YouTube

of all FiLIPINO LAnguages, Zamboangueño Chavacano Language is the most language being understood by Spanish People of Spain and around the world. not 100% but atleast 60 80% they can.

i'm a native Zamboangueño Speaker, who can't speak or converse in Spanish with Spanish people so i used Zamboangueño to communicate with my several Spanish Speaking Friends in my created group in fb called Los Filipinos Son hispanos y Latinos. aND GUESS WHAT? we understand each other well.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:47 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,888 times
Quote:
being Latino is not a race, herencia, tribe, color, religion but a Culture. Culture of the Romans. the former people of Rome.
This is very true and the evidence is that all of my children were born in Spain but none have Spanish blood never-the-less they all have a strong allegiance to Spain. Spanish is their native language. After leaving Spain and coming to the US two of them did not adapt well and went back to Spain. So it is a fact that the word "latino" has nothing to do with race or ethnicity.

The word "hispano" is an adjective having to do with "things Spanish". It could be used for the language except there is already a term for the linguistic approach and that is "hispano-parlante". English has given it its own definition which does not work well in the Spanish language but is slowly being accepted in Spanish speaking countries. One common error by many non-Spanish or Portuguese speakers is applying the word "hispano" or "hispanic" to Brazil. That word should be "lusitano" or Lusitanian in English which relates to "things Portuguese". The Romanians and their language may also be described by the word "latino" but obviously not hispanic.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
This is actually an argument on some other sites. Some says Latino or Hispanic is not a race & it's broadly used to refer to the culture, people, or nations with historically link to Spain. I read there are some who are not actually a Spanish descent but their culture is Hispanic because they speak Spanish & follow the Hispanic culture and tradition. Same with those Indigenous people of Latin America. They don't look Spaniards physically but culturally speak Spanish, practice the Hispanic Culture & tradition including their indigenous side.
Not all Hispanic countries are Spanish descent. Some are Chinese descent, other European descent, etc.

What we have in the Philippines. there are some that we really practice as part of Hispanic Culture. But we cannot generally say that the whole Philippines is Hispanic that is why I voted Semi-Hispanic. I'm not blind not to see that as we do practice it too. Mestizo descendants represent racially side of Hispanic, There are some Hispanic Culture in the Philippines who adapted & accepted the Hispanic Culture & Tradition but added their Indigenous side or their native ethnic side that is why it is unique. Same with other Latin American countries. I don't think they just focus on Hispanic side only.

Tinikling for example we do used the "Banduria & Rondalla" for the background music but then we used the bamboo stick & the dance from our Malay side. "Banduria and Rondalla" is the music instrument brought by the Spaniards in the Philippines which we adapted and even invented a 14 String Bandurria as our own music instruments.

Quote:
Philippine Bandurria
The Philippine harp bandurria is a 14-string bandurria used in many Philippine folkloric songs, with 16 frets and shorter neck than the 18 string bandurria. This instrument probably evolved in the Philippines during the Spanish period, from 1521 to 1898. The Filipino bandurria is used in an orchestra of plucked string instruments called rondalla.

Left side : Philippine Bandurria / Right Side: Spanish Bandurria

If people say it's just an influence. Check our other neighbor countries too, India influence a lot of cultures in Southeast Asia, Chinese influence some of the mainland Southeast Asia. It's just Philippines was influence by the western more than Indonesia from their Dutch Colonizer. So Philippines is not just the country that has influenced by other nations. Because if we based it in language only, Because if a person speak English like Americans are they considered as "British?" because they speak the language originated from the Anglo-Frisian dialects brought to Britain by Germanic invaders not all Americans are British descent nor the Hispanic/Latin American countries as Spanish descent it's their colonizer language.

Last edited by pinai; 07-22-2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 04:24 PM

98 posts, read 276,344 times
Thank you for posting this lovely song sung by these wonderful Filipina or Hispanics ,
Porque - Maldita (Chavacano Version).flv - YouTube . Bought some good memories when I was at that magical place.

As I remember, some prayers and hymns within catholic churches in the Philippines are spoken/sung in classical Spanish. I am glad the former President Macapagal Arroyo reinstated Spanish as a third official language of the Philippine Islands or Las Islas Filipinas - the islands, rightfully, named after King Philip II of Spain.

Filipinos and Filipinas, like it or not, you will always be Hispanics! My God, you can't take that away from you! Never!!!
Stop listening to these ignorant fools who think you are not! You can't take away what's been taken away and destroyed.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:30 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,838 times
Quote:

From how I understand things are going, it looks like English is becoming the unifying language, not Spanish or Tagalog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia