Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
culturally they seem to have heavy Spanish influence in their culture , religion, music, traditions, holidays, etc

if you have ever been to filipino parties, you can see , hear and feel the Spanish culture

culturally they are very similiar to Hispanic

but ethnically they are different people, racially closer to Malay people
Very well said.. Why can't Filipinos see and accept this ?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I don't understand why its proper for Filipinos to learn Spanish. A language of a country that colonized them and treated them as second class citizens. That was over 100 years ago, move on....
What is the difference between Spanish and Americans ? They both ruled our country. It even makes more sense having Spanish language because it really was the official language before the Americans replaced it with English. We were occupied by America for only 50 years yet we embraced their language while Spain ruled us for almost 4 centuries.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
No. They have a culture tied to the Asian Rim, but instead of being Muslim like Indonesia, or Buddist like SE Asia, they are Catholic (Spanish property for centuries).

There is an island off China called Macau. It was in Portuguese hands for centuries and recently returned to Chinese rule. Its Asian with some weird Portuguese influences.

Then there's Hong Kong. It has a British influence. IMO that influence is fading fast now that its Chinese.

You know thats a weird part of the world now that I think of it....
Macau was a former Portuguese colony but It was more recent and you don't see any Portuguese culture in them except for some churches and architecture as well as their main square which is a replica of Lisbon. Yes the names of the streets are still in Portuguese but many of them do not even understand., the names are just there for heritage and for touristic purposes because it makes Macau different from the other Asian places. The Portuguese didn't really share their culture with the Macanese people that is why they don't really have aPortuguese culture and traditions.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
They technically are Asian, but they have more of a Hispanic look to them, they have some Hispanic names, and theyre religions are like the religions in Hispanic countries.
Our religion is CATHOLIC.. It is the same as Spain, South and Central America, Portugal, France, Italy... Our family names are Hispanic only few have native names.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Also, while it is true that Tagalog/Filipino has many Spanish loanwords (mostly for nouns and objects that didn't exist before modern times), they are very different languages.

Here; try reading the first paragraph of Jose Rizal's novel "Noli Me Tangere," from 1887:

There are some Spanish loanwords in there, but it is very, very far from the Spanish language as a whole.
Tagalog has less Spanish words compare to other Dialects in the Philippines like Cebuano and Ilonggo. And of course Chavacano is a Spanish Creolle.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
°Many of the Philippines have Spanish surnames

°Philippine languages are replete with Spanish words

°Philippine cultures in general seem to be more "Latin" compared to other Asian nations.
I agree.. Though we eat rice like most Asians do, our culture is more different.. It is more Latin

Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
hispanic isn't a race tho. you can be white and be hispanic. i think that you're also confusing latino with hispanic.

ppl from spain are spanish and are hispanic. they are not latino.
ppl from cuba, pr, dr, mexico, etc. are hispanic and latino.
there are white, black, native american, asian, etc. ppl that are latino and or hispanic in a lot of spanish speaking countries.

argentina has a large white population, for example. cuba has a large black population. yadda yadda, etc.
You are saying Italians, French, Portuguese , Romanians are not Latinos ? How did the South and Central Anerica become Latinos ? It is because of the Spanish, Portuguese and Italians who went to their continent , taught them the Spanish and Portuguese language, made them Catholics and shared with them their culture.Latino is another word for Latin. Spanish, Portuguese, French, Romanian and if course Italian are all Latin based languages.. That's why they all can understand each other.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
What is the difference between Spanish and Americans ? They both ruled our country. It even makes more sense having Spanish language because it really was the official language before the Americans replaced it with English. We were occupied by America for only 50 years yet we embraced their language while Spain ruled us for almost 4 centuries.
BUT IT WAS OVER 100 years ago! So why bother (re)learning it. There is benefit to English as its more a global language than Spanish (for business). The Philippines has all these languages and dialects.. why not focus on learning one of these?

Spain was not in the Philippines out of the goodness of its heart... so again, it doesn't make sense to me.. Just because historically over 100 years ago you were COLONIZED, doesn't mean you should relearn a language thats pretty much dead in the country. Learn Cebuano, Ilokano.. heck even learn Bahasa.. pero Espanol? no. My grandmother was Spanish and in Manila we spoke Spanish at home, the minute she died.. we switched to English. We did not suffer greatly not speaking Spanish in Manila. There was no point as nobody else really spoke Spanish. Only 2% speak it (including those that speak Chabacano)... so its.. muerte.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:59 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
BUT IT WAS OVER 100 years ago! So why bother (re)learning it. There is benefit to English as its more a global language than Spanish (for business). The Philippines has all these languages and dialects.. why not focus on learning one of these?

Spain was not in the Philippines out of the goodness of its heart... so again, it doesn't make sense to me.. Just because historically over 100 years ago you were COLONIZED, doesn't mean you should relearn a language thats pretty much dead in the country. Learn Cebuano, Ilokano.. heck even learn Bahasa.. pero Espanol? no. My grandmother was Spanish and in Manila we spoke Spanish at home, the minute she died.. we switched to English. We did not suffer greatly not speaking Spanish in Manila. There was no point as nobody else really spoke Spanish. Only 2% speak it (including those that speak Chabacano)... so its.. muerte.
Why bother re-learning it? Because of heritage, We are Filipinos. That's the problem that over 100yrs. History was not properly written correctly regarding the foundation of being a FILIPINO. We are not just talking about Pre-Hispanic. We are talking about the foundation of FILIPINO Nation and People. We, Filipinos will not be a nation or people without that 400yrs too. It's either you like it or not. Our roots as Filipino people is written more on those years. Everything is easy to some Filipinos, because you embrace english, a language spoken by one of our colonizer too who created more damages. Personally, I don't care if you're grandmother is Spanish. I care more of my roots of being a Filipino. Filipinos during the early 1900's only speak their respective dialects and Spanish only as the international language or a language which all of us communicates each other. I read history translated and written by Americans. This is the problem when they declared the 'FILIPINO' as a National Language too so people thought Filipino culture are just composed of Malay because all of us speak our Ethnic Languages & they forgot that It was originally a Nationality that also has connection to Spanish Occupation. They criticize all the cultures that has Spanish origin that Filipino Christians practice from religion, food, dance, songs, architecture, dress, surnames etc. without learning why it was all part of Filipino Culture. Why don't we dig the reason why? Some Filipinos are hating themselves for being a Filipino instead of educating them regarding it's origin to fully understand themselves as a Filipino specially the year of our 1st Philippine Republic (12 June 1898)

How can we learn to know our own history from that 400yrs if we will not learn Spanish. It's all written in Spanish, We have documents yet we rely on translator? There are thousands of documents in our archives that was not translated because of english promotion. former Pres. Cory Aquino shouldn't remove it but now her son Noynoy Aquino supported the re-introducing of the Spanish Language.

Last edited by pinai; 03-29-2013 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Why bother re-learning it? Because of heritage, We are Filipinos. That's the problem that over 100yrs. History was not properly written correctly regarding the foundation of being a FILIPINO. We are not just talking about Pre-Hispanic. We are talking about the foundation of FILIPINO Nation and People. We, Filipinos will not be a nation or people without that 400yrs too. It's either you like it or not. Our roots as Filipino people is written more on those years. Everything is easy to some Filipinos, because you embrace english, a language spoken by one of our colonizer too who created more damages. Personally, I don't care if you're grandmother is Spanish. I care more of my roots of being a Filipino. Filipinos during the early 1900's only speak their respective dialects and Spanish only as the international language or a language which all of us communicates each other. I read history translated and written by Americans. This is the problem when they declared the 'FILIPINO' as a National Language too so people thought Filipino culture are just composed of Malay because all of us speak our Ethnic Languages & they forgot that It was originally a Nationality that also has connection to Spanish Occupation. They criticize all the cultures that has Spanish origin that Filipino Christians practice from religion, food, dance, songs, architecture, dress, surnames etc. without learning why it was all part of Filipino Culture. Why don't we dig the reason why? Some Filipinos are hating themselves for being a Filipino instead of educating them regarding it's origin to fully understand themselves as a Filipino specially the year of our 1st Philippine Republic (12 June 1898)

How can we learn to know our own history from that 400yrs if we will not learn Spanish. It's all written in Spanish, We have documents yet we rely on translator? There are thousands of documents in our archives that was not translated because of english promotion. former Pres. Cory Aquino shouldn't remove it but now her son Noynoy Aquino supported the re-introducing of the Spanish Language.
I agree with you Pnai.. It's so sad that the modern Filipinos do not care at all about the Philippine history. My gosh it's 4oo years of history , all went down the drain just because of 40 year American occupation. I don't really know why Filipinos do not ever care about preserving things from our history. Even with old buildings and Plazas built from the Spanish occupation to the language and all. That is why we as Filipinos do not have anything really to show to our tourists because they come to the Philippines and there is nothing so unique about our culture because it is so modernized.. Too americanized... And I agree with you, the writings of Rizal we can only understand it if they're already translated. Quite sad that for us to understand his writings, they will all still have to be translated because we cannot understand Spanish. Most of the time, they do not have the exact meaning as how it was originally written. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to understand those very old documents and even our original national anthem ? The modern Filipinos just think that Philippine history only begun when the Americans came..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia