Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I live in SoCal so I see lots of different cultures. No one considers Flippinos hispanic. There is some type of weird bond I see sometimes like "well, this guy isn't what I am but hes kinda close...?"
because in the US they used a different definition of Hispanic, They used it as a race and now they wanted to removed it in the census as race so some of them they get confused lol what is a race and to a culture. Hispanic is not definitely a race cause there are Hispanics who looks Asian, Black, White, Mestizo and Indigenous. Same as Asian, we are not an ethnic or a race to group as one. We called ourselves Asian because we are in the continent of Asia, So funny that even a Spaniards knows that there are Hispanic in Philippines Culture. I guess people are misinformed on how the Hispanic really means. Hispanic is a definition that they used for all the former Spanish colonies who got influences from Espana or Hispania/Spain. Not all Hispanics are with Spanish bloodlines some are from other European bloodlines like Italy, German, Portugal etc. that migrated there and speak the Spanish language and practice Hispanic culture. Some Latinos or Hispanics know the real meaning of Hispanics or Latinos and definitely not a race I guess some do not know exactly what it means. They think it's a race.

Guam got Hispanic culture too

Chamorro dances of GUAM. Danzas chamorras de la isla de GUAM. - YouTube

You can also see the Hispanic influences in Indonesia those are former Spanish East Indies.

Last edited by pinai; 06-20-2013 at 10:03 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
because in the US they used a different definition of Hispanic, They used it as a race and now they wanted to removed it in the census as race so some of them they get confused lol what is a race and to a culture. Hispanic is not definitely a race cause there are Hispanics who looks Asian, Black, White, Mestizo and Indigenous. Same as Asian, we are not an ethnic or a race to group as one. We called ourselves Asian because we are in the continent of Asia, So funny that even a Spaniards knows that there are Hispanic in Philippines Culture. I guess people are misinformed on how the Hispanic really means. Hispanic is a definition that they used for all the former Spanish colonies who got influences from Espana or Hispania/Spain. Not all Hispanics are with Spanish bloodlines some are from other European bloodlines like Italy, German, Portugal etc. that migrated there and speak the Spanish language and practice Hispanic culture. Some Latinos or Hispanics know the real meaning of Hispanics or Latinos and definitely not a race I guess some do not know exactly what it means. They think it's a race.

Guam got Hispanic culture too

Chamorro dances of GUAM. Danzas chamorras de la isla de GUAM. - YouTube

You can also see the Hispanic influences in Indonesia those are former Spanish East Indies.
Most people don't really have any clue. That's why I think the US Census shouldn't have categorized Filipinos as just Asians but Asian Hispanics, it's more specific. It groups us as Asians being in Asia and it recognizes our hispanic culture. If it will be like this, there won't be confusions any more.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 AM

318 posts, read 625,749 times
There's a Spanish influence sure... but overall, they're Asian to me.

I know in the USA, they're considered Pacific Islanders though.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:02 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
There's a Spanish influence sure... but overall, they're Asian to me.

I know in the USA, they're considered Pacific Islanders though.
They're not considered Pacific Islanders in the US. Pacific Islanders are defined as Polynesians, Micronesians, and Melanesians. Filipinos are related to those groups but aren't part of any of them. The only place in the US where Filipinos aren't defined as Asians is in California schools. Filipinos have a separate category for some reason...

So maybe Filipinos in California grew up thinking they weren't Asian because of this. But how can you blame them; people define themselves by these categories

Old 06-22-2013, 09:36 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
All of my Filipino friends could care less about learning Spanish much less being fluent....they only speak English/Tagalog.They prefer Vietnamese and Thai food with no interest in Spanish/Latin food or culture. There might be a history with Spain and Mexico, but they're pretty much Asian in my eyes. One of my friends has the last name "Martinez"...whenever i jokingly speak some broken Spanish to him repeating his last name, he kinda gives me the dirty look...not too happy about people thinking he is Spanish or Mexican.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
All of my Filipino friends could care less about learning Spanish much less being fluent....they only speak English/Tagalog.They prefer Vietnamese and Thai food with no interest in Spanish/Latin food or culture. There might be a history with Spain and Mexico, but they're pretty much Asian in my eyes. One of my friends has the last name "Martinez"...whenever i jokingly speak some broken Spanish to him repeating his last name, he kinda gives me the dirty look...not too happy about people thinking he is Spanish or Mexican.
Those Filipino friends of yours grew up where ? In the States ? Because if they grew up there, it's normal, they don't know much about the culture in the Philippines ( fiestas and different religious festivities, foods that were influenced by Spain ). The culture that they know is the culture they are exposed to Filipino - American culture.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:37 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Those Filipino friends of yours grew up where ? In the States ? Because if they grew up there, it's normal, they don't know much about the culture in the Philippines ( fiestas and different religious festivities, foods that were influenced by Spain ). The culture that they know is the culture they are exposed to Filipino - American culture.
Most of them grew up in the Philippines and came to the U.S when they were around 14-15yrs old.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Most of them grew up in the Philippines and came to the U.S when they were around 14-15yrs old.
Most younger generation do not really appreciate the Spanish contribution in the Philippine culture. Most of them do not even know, do not have any clue about the things Spain contributed in our culture ( language, dance, festivities and food ). most of them think those things that Spain contributed are really Filipino. It's normal because it's been 100 years since Spanish left and been like 25 years since Spanish subject was abolished in the curriculum. Younger generation are more into American culture and just appreciate everything American.
Filipinos are like most Brits, Americans and Australians.They do not aspire to be Multilinguals or even just to be Bilingual or Trilingual. For most Filipinos, ever since Spanish was abolished in 1987, there's only one foreign language that exist, only English. Most Filipinos especially the younger generation, think the only language that is important in this world is English and since they already speak English, they think there is no more need to learn another language.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:06 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Most younger generation do not really appreciate the Spanish contribution in the Philippine culture. Most of them do not even know, do not have any clue about the things Spain contributed in our culture ( language, dance, festivities and food ). most of them think those things that Spain contributed are really Filipino. It's normal because it's been 100 years since Spanish left and been like 25 years since Spanish subject was abolished in the curriculum. Younger generation are more into American culture and just appreciate everything American.
Filipinos are like most Brits, Americans and Australians.They do not aspire to be Multilinguals or even just to be Bilingual or Trilingual. For most Filipinos, ever since Spanish was abolished in 1987, there's only one foreign language that exist, only English. Most Filipinos especially the younger generation, think the only language that is important in this world is English and since they already speak English, they think there is no more need to learn another language.
Yes, true most of the younger generation are more exposed on American culture, just look at how many younger generation are exposed in American Pop culture and other Filipino-American even wanted to mixed Tinikling with Hip-Hop.

PCN 2007: Hip Hop Tinikling (extended) - YouTube

^ and when did Tinikling become part of American dance to add Hip-Hop
just because they are already Filipino-American & even other younger Filipinos in the Philippines.
adding Hip-Hop to one of our National Folk Dance. Folk dance should be considered as National Flag and
Anthem. They should not change the way it is, if the dance is for Filipinos just keep it that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYU6ECxfdTw

Last edited by pinai; 06-22-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 04:30 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
I haven't been to another Southeast Asian country, so I can't compare it, but when I was in Spain, I noticed that the people were very similar to Filipinos. Not how the people physically looked, but their mannerisms and attitude reminded me of people in the Philippines. Maybe that's why I felt so at home there. The main difference is people are a lot more liberal in Spain.

I have a relative who lives in Korea and she says it feels very foreign, which is why she stays at home most of the time now. I'm sure she'd feel more comfortable in a place like Spain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia