Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 06:51 AM

7 posts, read 10,164 times

Advertisements

Pinai, that's cool!
I know you have some Hispanic culture & similarities.

Smtchll, you know how people use to joke about all the Asians looking the same? I know that's stereotyping, but there's some truth to it. Hispanics in the other way, can look from African black to European white to Asian (but just a minority. Mostly the indigenous people). Hispanics are very diverse when it comes to looks.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:43 PM

199 posts, read 336,495 times
Though language plays a huge component of culture, it is not the sole component of culture. Thus, it is possible for Philippines to have a semi-Hispanic culture even though the majority of its people do not speak Spanish. It's difficult for the rest of the world to accept this because the Amerindian/mestizo peoples of Central and South America are usually the first that come to mind when one thinks about "Hispanics."

Old 04-10-2014, 07:58 PM

318 posts, read 638,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorex View Post
Hispanics is about looking a certain way?! First time I've heard something like that. Makes no sense.
Hispanics means people that SPEAK Spanish.

Hispanics can look any way! indigenous/white/euro/mixed/brown/black/etc. etc. they can look like almost any other country in the world. Hispanics don't have a specific look.
I have seen police reports before where a suspect is described as looking like a Hispanic female or looking like a Hispanic male.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:08 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,010 times
Please show us how Hispanic people look to you

Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Please show us how Hispanic people look to you
Why are many criminals in the U.S described as having a Hispanic appearance by law enforcement ?

Old 04-10-2014, 10:15 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Why are many criminals in the U.S described as having a Hispanic appearance by law enforcement ?
Because of generalizations that all Hispanics are brown And look a certain way. I know White Latin Americans who crossed the US-Mexico border just by saying they were American. They weren't questioned because of how they looked.

At my work there are 5 White Mexicans- 3 with red hair and freckles, 1 lady has white blonde hair with blue eyes, she can pass for Swedish. I wonder if one of them were to be arrested, would they call them Hispanic or White?

Food for thought....

Last edited by rosa surf; 04-10-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Old 04-10-2014, 10:25 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
they mean "mestizo" when they say Hispanic, but since most Hispanics in the US are mestizos, they just say Hispanic when they mean someone is mestizo-looking

Old 04-10-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Because of generalizations that all Hispanics are brown And look a certain way. I know White Latin Americans who crossed the US-Mexico border just by saying they were American. They weren't questioned because of how they looked.

At my work there are 5 White Mexicans- 3 with red hair and freckles, 1 lady has white blonde hair with blue eyes, she can pass for Swedish. I wonder if one of them were to be arrested, would they call them Hispanic or White?

Food for thought....
If someone who looked like George Lopez for example robbed a gas station and you were a witness to it, how would you racially describe the man's appearance to the police ?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,842 times
The only place where Hispanic is used is in the US. Other countries don't use the label. Not sure what Europe does but I don't think Hispanic is used to describe populations only in the historical context of coming from Iberia. In Australia someone from Mexico would be described as Mexican and someone from Argentina would be described as Argentinian. So as to who is Hispanic or not is only relevant to the US. Filipinos don't really fit the label as it is used in the US to describe Spanish speaking populations from Latin America.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:51 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
The only place where Hispanic is used is in the US. Other countries don't use the label. Not sure what Europe does but I don't think Hispanic is used to describe populations only in the historical context of coming from Iberia. In Australia someone from Mexico would be described as Mexican and someone from Argentina would be described as Argentinian. So as to who is Hispanic or not is only relevant to the US. Filipinos don't really fit the label as it is used in the US to describe Spanish speaking populations from Latin America.
Well the only Filipinos that considered Hispanics in that sense were those Filipinos that live during the time when Mexico and Philippines was still connected or one as Philippines was a former province of Mexico. Specially Spanish was still official language in the Philippines and that ended Sept 27, 1821 when Mexico break it's relationship from Spain for their Independence. Hispanics of today refer to Spanish Speaking countries in Latin America but this doesn't mean that everyone should be a Spanish descendant because it's obvious that being Hispanic is not because of race. There are variety of Spanish Speaking from Latin America that doesn't even have Spanish blood or ancestors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfvvGaxRGzA
These are the Filipinos that will be considered 'Hispanic' means of today

Although, Culturally you cannot also say Philippines doesn't have Hispanic in culture. We're same status as the Equatorial Guinea that we have cultures that is Hispanic. Although, Equatorial Guinea retain Spanish Language as official language but it still not considered 'Hispanic' as it is only referred to people of South America / Latin America that speak Spanish and culturally came from Spain which is now called Hispanic. So Hispanic is more related in culture and not about race or background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk0AjyiE4tU
Equatorial Guinea

The only confusing is that Hispanic is used referring to a person that came to Spanish Speaking country in Latin America and Hispanic is also used to refer to a culture that is part of Spain. Because we cannot call Asian or Malay/ Austranesian Culture, a culture that was a Spanish origin right? They said Hispanic is a combination of both indigenous and Spanish in origin culture from former Spanish Colonies that's why people of Spain do not call themselves Hispanic like those from South America/Latin America and they identify themselves as Spaniards or some even identify themselves as Basque, Catalan etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9O0KGipQ6Y

Last edited by pinai; 04-11-2014 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia