Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,178 times

Advertisements

Let me clear a few things up since some of these people who are posting have no idea what they are even talking about. First of all the Philippines ARE CONSIDERED HISPANIC. yes that's right they are. Now first we must establish what it is to be hispanic.

Being hispanic simply means "of or relating to spain", the Philipines are named after king Phillip of spain and they were a spanish colony for at least 300 years. THE US IS NOT EVEN 300 years old. so just let that sink in for a moment. Ok now spanish was also the main language there from the 16th century until 1973......they still have many spanish traditions and customs and most of them are catholic, why? because SPAIN.

Now for those of you who said "na they are asian" you are correct, but Asian is a race not an ethnicity. Being hispanic refers to your ethnicity, You can in fact be both Asian and hispanic. learn something today kids and stop being so damn stupid.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:04 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learnsomething View Post
Let me clear a few things up since some of these people who are posting have no idea what they are even talking about. First of all the Philippines ARE CONSIDERED HISPANIC. yes that's right they are. Now first we must establish what it is to be hispanic.

Being hispanic simply means "of or relating to spain", the Philipines are named after king Phillip of spain and they were a spanish colony for at least 300 years. THE US IS NOT EVEN 300 years old. so just let that sink in for a moment. Ok now spanish was also the main language there from the 16th century until 1973......they still have many spanish traditions and customs and most of them are catholic, why? because SPAIN.

Now for those of you who said "na they are asian" you are correct, but Asian is a race not an ethnicity. Being hispanic refers to your ethnicity, You can in fact be both Asian and hispanic. learn something today kids and stop being so damn stupid.
Stop being so damn stupid and actually try to understand the dialogue that's been going here. There's discussion about what it being used to establish what is hispanic and what is not, and what group deems so one way or another and what that or those groups deem to be authoritative and how all of those measure up against each other.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:02 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,261 times
This comes up a lot on the Internet. I haven't read through all this thread. I have added a couple of posts somewhere in it but it's a too big to read through all of it.

Anyway people should define what they mean by Hispanic?

As I live in a country that gets a lot of information from America; Hispanic to me means a Latin American population that speak Spanish as their first language. Most Latin Americans also have a significant amount of Spanish ancestry. The Phillipines is not a Hispanic country. They did have a period of Spanish and / or Mexican influence but this is in the past. Most Filippinos do not speak Spanish and most do not have significant Spanish ancestry. If you call the Phillipines Hispanic then Indonesia is Dutch or Hong Kong and India are British.

I don't know of many populations that would want to be labelled after an invading colonial population. Filipinos are unique in this respect. Latin Americans got the label Hispanic by the Nixon Government. Indian people acknowled that India was part of the British Empire but they don't call themselves Anglo. I know there was a group called Anglo-Indians who were a mixture of British and Indian but most of these left for countries like Australia in the years after India became independent. They were a separate group from the rest of Indians.

I don't know if this cultural cringe is common in the Philippines or only in the diaspora. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that there is Spanish influence in the Philippines but they are not Hispanic by any measure.

I just don't understand the mentality. Filipinos are a lovely people and they should be proud in their own right. I don't mean any disrespect but honestly don't understand why Filipinos want to be labelled Hispanic.

Read this article to find out why the Hispanic term is used today.

The Origin of the Term ‘Hispanic’*|*The Hartford Guardian

Last edited by Bernie20; 09-22-2014 at 01:13 AM..

Old 09-22-2014, 01:11 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learnsomething View Post

Hispanic is not an ethnicity. Hispanic is more relating to language and culture. If you look at Latin America there are white, black and Indian people that are called Hispanic. They are all from different ethnicities. The main thing about being Hispanic is speaking Spanish.

Historically it does mean from Spain but in modern times it was coined to represent Mexicans and Latin Americans in the US. See the article I've linked above.

Spanish people from Spain usually don't call themselves Hispanic anymore but just call themselves Spanish even though it still technically means people from Spain. Most people will think of Hispanics as Latin Americans.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
This comes up a lot on the Internet. I haven't read through all this thread. I have added a couple of posts somewhere in it but it's a too big to read through all of it.

Anyway people should define what they mean by Hispanic?

As I live in a country that gets a lot of information from America; Hispanic to me means a Latin American population that speak Spanish as their first language. Most Latin Americans also have a significant amount of Spanish ancestry. The Phillipines is not a Hispanic country. They did have a period of Spanish and / or Mexican influence but this is in the past. Most Filippinos do not speak Spanish and most do not have significant Spanish ancestry. If you call the Phillipines Hispanic then Indonesia is Dutch or Hong Kong and India are British.

I don't know of many populations that would want to be labelled after an invading colonial population. Filipinos are unique in this respect. Latin Americans got the label Hispanic by the Nixon Government. Indian people acknowled that India was part of the British Empire but they don't call themselves Anglo. I know there was a group called Anglo-Indians who were a mixture of British and Indian but most of these left for countries like Australia in the years after India became independent. They were a separate group from the rest of Indians.

I don't know if this cultural cringe is common in the Philippines or only in the diaspora. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that there is Spanish influence in the Philippines but they are not Hispanic by any measure.

I just don't understand the mentality. Filipinos are a lovely people and they should be proud in their own right. I don't mean any disrespect but honestly don't understand why Filipinos want to be labelled Hispanic.

Read this article to find out why the Hispanic term is used today.

The Origin of the Term ‘Hispanic’*|*The Hartford Guardian

I don't think it is right to compare the Philippines to Indinesia or India.
First of all, the influence the Philippines got from Spain/Mexico is definitely not the same as what Indonesia got from the Netherlands or what India got from The United Kingdom.
From Food, traditions, language, art, literature, dance and of course Religion = Hispanic, very much not the same with Indonesia or India or even Vietnam or Macau.
Yes, the Philippines may not be speaking Spanish anymore but there is still one part of the country that speaks Chavacano ( Spanish creolle ) and the Visayan language in the Philippines has absorbed more than 6,000 Spanish words.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LH2B2SCuPAg

Old 09-22-2014, 03:29 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
If you call the Phillipines Hispanic then Indonesia is Dutch or Hong Kong and India are British.
No, this is not the same at all. Calling Indonesians Dutch, or Indians British would be like calling Filipinos Spanish But nobody here is suggesting that Filipinos are Spanish. Filipinos are Filipinos, Spanish are Spanish. Two different nationalities. The thread is about whether Filipinos are Hispanic .

Old 09-23-2014, 12:56 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
No, this is not the same at all. Calling Indonesians Dutch, or Indians British would be like calling Filipinos Spanish But nobody here is suggesting that Filipinos are Spanish. Filipinos are Filipinos, Spanish are Spanish. Two different nationalities. The thread is about whether Filipinos are Hispanic .
Seeing as 72% of the forum thinks Filipinos are partly Hispanic or not at all, the debate is pretty much settled. I, as a born and raised Latin American, do not, and never have, thought of the Philippines as a Hispanic nation. Semi-Hispanic at most, but not Hispanic. The biggest disqualifier is the majority of the population not being able to speak Spanish. Spanish was never adopted as the official, de facto, AND cultural language of the majority of the population like it has in Latin America. It is uncommon to find a Latin American south of the US border that can't speak Spanish. Filipinos today are about as Hispanic as the indigenous peoples of Latin America that only know how to speak their indigenous language. To me, they are not Hispanic. If an Aztec Mexican only speaks Nahuatl (there are such people still alive), how are they different from Filipinos who speak their own indigenous language and nothing else? They aren't Hispanic either, in that case. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, cause I don't deny the Philippines was a part of the Spanish Empire, just very odd some on here crave colonialism again....even though Puerto Rico is a lot more Spanish than the Philippines is today, you'd be hard pressed to find any Puerto Rican who wants to be identified as Spanish. We are ALL Boricuas on the island, not Spanish.

Edit: This is more of a rant here, but to the Filipinos on here who droll over the Mexican connection. Who was with you until the very end? Mexico ceased being part of your territory in the 1800s. Who stuck alongside you until 1946? Who were you united with for the longest time in Spanish history? Yeah.....it wasn't Mexico. It was.....PUERTO RICO. We were, along with Cuba, the last Spanish possessions until 1898, long after Mexico became independent. Puerto Rico and the Philippines were all under one flag from the time the Spanish settled Manila, until 1946.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 09-23-2014 at 01:40 AM..

Old 09-23-2014, 08:23 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
In this topic: colonized people wax poetic about how much they wish they were colonized a bit harder, more thoroughly. Pretty awesome.

I think one interesting question would be: are the Philippines the only country with a strong contingent of people with this sentiment? Whereas do you see formerly colonized people desperately desire to have had a more thorough go at it?

Old 09-23-2014, 10:49 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In this topic: colonized people wax poetic about how much they wish they were colonized a bit harder, more thoroughly. Pretty awesome.

I think one interesting question would be: are the Philippines the only country with a strong contingent of people with this sentiment? Whereas do you see formerly colonized people desperately desire to have had a more thorough go at it?
I don't think colonized people do, just Filipinos and Fil-Ams. They're the only people I have seen that crave more Spanish colonial influence it seems. Seems like there's a romanticized version of history taking place in the Philippines over Spanish rule. Probably the only close contenders in the world are HKers and Taiwanese, I can't think of any other places that wants to be ruled by "betters". In Hong Kong's and Taiwan's case, they are a distant second and third to the Philippines.

Somehow, I also have the feeling that this isn't a serious topic of discussion in the Philippines anyway, just some internet chatter amongst people who have nothing better to talk about, maybe. Or, these kinds of things are usually talked about with Filipinos of heavy white or 50/50 mixed ancestry. The whiter you are, the more sympathetic you are towards embracing your Spanish past.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:26 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Most people in the Philippines dont care. I think they're far more obsessed with Korean and American culture. America was a former colonizer of the Philippines though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia