U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 08:24 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,515,762 times

Advertisements

I recently returned from Tokyo and I have some obviously fraudulent charges on my atm/debit card and credit card and have filed charges on them totalling around $1500 between each card.

Is this commonplace in Tokyo? I went out in the Roppongi section on Tokyo and I'm highly dissapointed that this would happen to me.

Any suggestions of how I can go about getting my money back? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:19 AM

5,327 posts, read 11,049,522 times
May not be the best advice, but any time I have had questionable charges on my card(s),
I have always been able to *dispute* the charges.
They will *balk*, but when push comes to shove, keep your ground !!!

My advice to *secure* your credit cards:
--- Never sign the back of your credit card.
Add a line that reads *Ask for Identification*

--- If it is the old style of credit card bill slip,
always ask for the carbon, although I have not seen one for a long time.

--- If extra services are offered, *Never* say the word *YES*,
because even if the answer does not pertain to the pertinent subject,
they may consider *yes* as your approval for whatever they were offering.
Happened to my wife. She asked *why*, and after they explained,
she said *oh yeah*, but never intended to get the extra stuff.
Unless of course, you really want the extra service or whatever.

- Have a separate credit card, with a rather low limit on it,
for internet purchases only.
This advice was given to us by the credit company who we used for the Internet purchase.
They called once and wanted to know if we bought this and that for that amount of money.
I asked why they were asking (it was not us who bought that stuff) and they said,
*because the delivery address was different then our home address*.
So kudos to that credit card company.
They then offered the advice as to putting a lower limit on the card.
The credit company then searched our records,
and told us what the highest charge was we ever had for one purchase at one time,
and we used that plus 50 dollars, as the limit.

Anybody know some more stuff, please add.

Last edited by irman; 10-15-2009 at 10:29 AM..

Old 10-15-2009, 03:24 PM

895 posts, read 2,145,669 times
This always happens in roppongi to foreigners/tourists it seems.. Did you happen to go to bars/clubs? Roppongi is famous for this stuff especially since the recent upsurge in nigerian club owners. From what I've read it's really hard to fix these credit card frauds..my only advice is to avoid roppongi in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia