Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,861,941 times

Advertisements

Here's something interesting that was on TV here in the state today (the Oprah show). It was a series of short interviews and videos from people who live in Copenhagen, Dubai, Rio, etc and their homes and lives compared to the "typical" life in the U.S. (if there really is such a thing).

For those who live at least in Copenhagen as I've always found that city to be interesting, how accurate is this video if it's meant to represent the "average" home life there? Oprah Tours a Typical Home in Copenhagen, Denmark - Video - Oprah.com

Here is the other page with other videos as well... Oprah on Location: The Happiest People on Earth - Oprah.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,290,214 times
My GF is Danish and we've spent a bit of time in Denmark.

That apartment that they showed is obviously very new and modern while many apartments in København are much (100's of years) older.

The word "typical" may be a bit misleading. Most people typically can't afford a brand new custom built apartment like that. It is typical in that it follows Danish design. The apartment may be bigger than that that many families live in.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:37 PM

506 posts, read 1,401,448 times
Typical Danish Home :-)
I am Swedish and I would say that this is might be a typical home for some one in the higher income bracket. I bet the woman and her husband work in media or advertising. The home is way, way WAY to sterile. Looks too much like soem kind of Star Trek take on interior design. Remends me of those annual the homes of the future competitions that architects & builders do in Scandinavia. I would not be surprised if this condo/apartment had been part of such a competition.

Look at this link for more accurate images.
Boligsiden.dk - Resultater (http://www.boligsiden.dk/resultat/591d6b6e9494477095945cddb78ff9e6/ - broken link)

If you use Google translate you can get around tis site quite well.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:02 PM

221 posts, read 535,145 times
her apartment is obviously very new and modern, and not very cosy IMO.

i guess the main differences it that danish people (or europeans in general) prefer to live in small, compact places in the city while americans prefer to live in a big house with a garden in a suburban area.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:45 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,290,214 times
My Danish GF just told me that the news reported that that apartment has been up for sale for close to a year.

The woman interviewed owns the apartment and is trying to sell it.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:48 PM

506 posts, read 1,401,448 times
He, he, he...............so it was a sales ad in some ways.
Funny!

Old 10-22-2009, 03:03 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,379,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Here's something interesting that was on TV here in the state today (the Oprah show). It was a series of short interviews and videos from people who live in Copenhagen, Dubai, Rio, etc and their homes and lives compared to the "typical" life in the U.S. (if there really is such a thing).
And of course Oprah goes straight for the refrigerator! oooooooooooooooooooooooo lol

Old 10-22-2009, 03:22 PM

23 posts, read 75,098 times
lol- that is everything but typical. they live like aliens. i live in europe and i have lots of friends in different countries in europe and that is not typical. i would say for my opinion- life in europe is pretty much like life for example in ny. real estates are way to expensive- in lots of cities (especially capitals prices are up to 7000-8000 euros per m2) and of courese europeans prefer living in city rather than suburbs. But i think that interriors in any european app are same as us.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,802,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsy35 View Post
lol- that is everything but typical. they live like aliens. i live in europe and i have lots of friends in different countries in europe and that is not typical. i would say for my opinion- life in europe is pretty much like life for example in ny. real estates are way to expensive- in lots of cities (especially capitals prices are up to 7000-8000 euros per m2) and of courese europeans prefer living in city rather than suburbs. But i think that interriors in any european app are same as us.
Really? Costs me about the same to live in Berlin as Milwaukee.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:16 PM

23 posts, read 75,098 times
well i wrote that real estates are more expensive in europe. but when u talk about interriors it is pretty much the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia