U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,793,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
I gotta ask, is tokyo as futuristic as people think it is and does it have like 10 time squares?
In many ways, no, and yes. It is a HUUUUGE city and easy to get lost in. So take your time. It has many wards and there's tall buildings everywhere. So it doesn't have 10 time squares but has the feeling of Manhattan proper times 10.

With regards to high tech, it will seem like Japanese people are "weird" in terms of adoption. For certain things, they will adopt the latest and greatest in technology. But for certain things, like cellphones, they will seem antiquated (they only really started picking up iPhones last year).

But if you want to see high tech, go to Akihabara. It's also the center of geek culture if you want to see maid cafes, anime and manga stores, etc. The fringe also likes to hang out there.

Tokyo itself is the cultural and technological "hub" of Japan, so you're bound to see the latest in fashion and tech there. Just don't expect to be granted access to everything (e.g. Soaplands and things like that ... but for those things ... meh, be glad you don't want to go in there).

But for all the glamor, it is still a "big dirty city." Dirty being relative ... it's still cleaner than most USA cities and many European cities too (ugh, don't even mention Paris, or London, or Rome, all are filthy holes comparatively speaking to Tokyo). I dunno, growing up in a big city myself, I didn't find the "bigness" all that exciting, but I did find the cultural and historical access and the ginza ward exciting. My wife hates it ... too many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 03:54 PM

35 posts, read 112,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
In many ways, no, and yes. It is a HUUUUGE city and easy to get lost in. So take your time. It has many wards and there's tall buildings everywhere. So it doesn't have 10 time squares but has the feeling of Manhattan proper times 10.

With regards to high tech, it will seem like Japanese people are "weird" in terms of adoption. For certain things, they will adopt the latest and greatest in technology. But for certain things, like cellphones, they will seem antiquated (they only really started picking up iPhones last year).

But if you want to see high tech, go to Akihabara. It's also the center of geek culture if you want to see maid cafes, anime and manga stores, etc. The fringe also likes to hang out there.

Tokyo itself is the cultural and technological "hub" of Japan, so you're bound to see the latest in fashion and tech there. Just don't expect to be granted access to everything (e.g. Soaplands and things like that ... but for those things ... meh, be glad you don't want to go in there).

But for all the glamor, it is still a "big dirty city." Dirty being relative ... it's still cleaner than most USA cities and many European cities too (ugh, don't even mention Paris, or London, or Rome, all are filthy holes comparatively speaking to Tokyo). I dunno, growing up in a big city myself, I didn't find the "bigness" all that exciting, but I did find the cultural and historical access and the ginza ward exciting. My wife hates it ... too many people.
Thats weird considering nyc has more highrises and skyscrapers than toyo

Old 10-20-2015, 11:58 PM

76 posts, read 54,043 times
I have been to both cities and I quite enjoy the both of them. There are pros and cons that I can tell about Hong Kong and Tokyo as following:

Hong Kong pros:
Good food
Nice looking skyscrapers
Nice gardens
Nice seaside scenery
Vibrant nightlife
Relatively cheaper than Tokyo
Vibrant culture

Hong Kong cons:
Air pollution
Not as clean as Singapore or Tokyo
Unsightly old buildings at some parts of the city
Crowded (especially during working hours)

Tokyo's pros:
Good food
Nice people
Good public services
Good public facilities
Good technology
Interesting culture
Clean and safe

Tokyo's cons:
Crowded (especially during working hours)
Small and narrow buildings (because land in Tokyo can be expensive)
Expensive (although it is not so expensive now ever since the Yen being devalued)
Complicated railway and subway systems

Old 04-14-2016, 05:16 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,326,006 times
You can easily see the nodes in Greater Tokyo, image provided by culturelifestyle.com:

It is the most beast city there is on Earth. That much is for sure.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:00 PM

448 posts, read 499,543 times
The largest sources of tourists for both HK and Tokyo are Mainland China, Taiwan, South Korea and the US.

People with anti-Japanese view, people who can speak English and or Chinese, they will choose Hong Kong.The Taiwanese and South Koreans generally know HK well and choose to visit HK as it is easy with just speaking Chinese and or English.

HK's shopping is completely tax free for both locals and tourists, tourists in Japan need to go through procedures to get back tax refunds.

In HK, foreigners are not special at all, people don't care if you are a white or black, and speak foreign languages. Hongkongers see different people all the time in HK. In Japan, foreigners including other East Asians easily stand out by not able to speak Japanese.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:12 PM

276 posts, read 204,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
The largest sources of tourists for both HK and Tokyo are Mainland China, Taiwan, South Korea and the US.

People with anti-Japanese view, people who can speak English and or Chinese, they will choose Hong Kong.The Taiwanese and South Koreans generally know HK well and choose to visit HK as it is easy with just speaking Chinese and or English.

HK's shopping is completely tax free for both locals and tourists, tourists in Japan need to go through procedures to get back tax refunds.

In HK, foreigners are not special at all, people don't care if you are a white or black, and speak foreign languages. Hongkongers see different people all the time in HK. In Japan, foreigners including other East Asians easily stand out by not able to speak Japanese.
If anything South Koreans have more of an affinity with Japan than Hong Kong. Many of the older elite generation studied in Japan.

Hong Kong shopping these days is imported Chinese rubbish, so is Japan to some extent but not as bad. Sometimes quality is better than saving a few measly dollars.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:02 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,453,155 times
Default Journey to Japan!! FINALLY!! But some questions

Danggit.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:53 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,192,982 times
I would take HK over Tokyo....a wider variety of choices for everyday living, and many more affordable options, while the very high end, is still higher end than Tokyo. Great night life in HK, some of the best horse racing on the planet. Almost everything good about China, is actually about HK.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:04 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I would take HK over Tokyo....a wider variety of choices for everyday living, and many more affordable options, while the very high end, is still higher end than Tokyo. Great night life in HK, some of the best horse racing on the planet. Almost everything good about China, is actually about HK.
why don't you say you just prefer (or can only handle) highly westernized Asian cities...do you know how big China is and what qualifies you to make such an arsine conclusion like this.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:36 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,192,982 times
I live a one hour flight from Kunming, and have for years, but if sanitation, manners, and proper construction standards mean "westernized;" I am all for it. The modern Japanese economy evolved by them becoming good at copying western inventions/ideas, in fact they do some of it better than the West, but don't think for a second that new Toshiba TV is still made in Japan...they also learned to outsource to cheap labor countries, like they once were. Most mainland Chines cities are more toxic than a car battery. Air Quality, contract honesty, intellectual property.....all extremely problematic in China. Their latest offense (of many) as tourist to Thailand, is clearing the grocery store shelves of any milk products they can find...because they don't trust their own food supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or