U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 01:57 PM

291 posts, read 192,231 times

Advertisements

I lived in Tokyo for a year and have only visited Hong Kong. Tokyo has a lot more 'hip' stuff to do than Hong Kong, if that floats your boat. I'd say Tokyo is a cooler place to hang out for a while than Hong Kong. Hong Kong is more interesting than Tokyo for a tourist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 02:38 PM

448 posts, read 499,025 times
Japanese culture is widely frown upon by the older generation of Koreans, Mainland Chinese and Hongkongers.

Many South Koreans prefer Hong Kong Disneyland than Tokyo's and Shanghai's Disneyland. Note that Tokyo and Shanghai are closer in distance to South Korea. Reasons are easy to think of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
If anything South Koreans have more of an affinity with Japan than Hong Kong. Many of the older elite generation studied in Japan.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:55 PM

276 posts, read 204,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I live a one hour flight from Kunming, and have for years, but if sanitation, manners, and proper construction standards mean "westernized;" I am all for it. The modern Japanese economy evolved by them becoming good at copying western inventions/ideas, in fact they do some of it better than the West, but don't think for a second that new Toshiba TV is still made in Japan...they also learned to outsource to cheap labor countries, like they once were. Most mainland Chines cities are more toxic than a car battery. Air Quality, contract honesty, intellectual property.....all extremely problematic in China. Their latest offense (of many) as tourist to Thailand, is clearing the grocery store shelves of any milk products they can find...because they don't trust their own food supply.
The Japanese were a peripheral state before becoming the first group in Asia to modernise even before that they were mere followers, never leaders. What I do admire about Japan during their heyday was the fact that they embraced the best of the world standards in whatever field they wanted to improve in. Unfortunately that spirit is no longer existent now in Japan, businesses are virtually living their fast dimishing brand name and value and have failed to move quickly enough either into niche markets or the higher value added chain.

China fell backwards because of being closed up and rejecting any idea that was not Chinese. Having said that their companies are heading towards the right path, but need some serious quality control.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:10 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,185,359 times
Here is some Mainlanders showing their terrible manners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YE3irZMtO8

Old 05-08-2016, 12:48 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,837,768 times
Hong Kong is actually more relaxing and less competitive than the everyday reality of Tokyo. If for the first occurrence ever visiting, I vote Hong Kong without a doubt before Tokyo. Much more affordable, easier accessibility, and instantaneous wow feeling compared to the other city, even though the sensation is already there at Tokyo. Even more cozy, easygoing nightlife around Hong Kong compared to the occasionally pretentious allure vibes of optical illusions at Tokyo. Each is Top Of The World, and undeniably tourist friendly.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:46 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,185,359 times
You could ask a stranger in either place, where to find nice ladies and cheap drinks; I think you would only get a non-judgmental, positive response in one. Between the Indonesians, Filipinoes, mainlainders, Thais, and even the white girls....there are lots of reasons why they work on their looks, and don't act too HiSo. I don't think you would have that many choices in Tokyo.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 493 times
I like Tokyo much better, but Japanese speak awful English

Old 05-19-2016, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 479 times
Tokyo is so awesome. Everything is clean, where is the window into the future where people respect their surroundings. the Japanese are polite, welcoming, and unlike most cities where people become a little, uptight, Tokyo hasn't lost its civility. The rest of the world’s food cultures could disappear, and as long as Tokyo remains, everything will be okay. Everything that is good in the world is there.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:46 PM

55 posts, read 32,889 times
Tokyo is a lot less influenced by other countries.

HK, and Taiwan, on the other hand, are heavily influenced by other countries. For example, K pop, J pop, Taiwanese pop and US pop music are extremely popular in HK. Most Japanese can hardly sing a song in English or other languages.

And you cannot easily find cheap international cuisines in Tokyo. Foreign cuisines are expensive in Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or