Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:32 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Without a doubt: Tokyo.

I was born and raised in Tokyo, so I'm biased. I was just telling my husband how much I miss it. I left Japan when I was 18, and at that age, I didn't truly appreciate it. Now that I'm older, I wish I would've spent more time exploring and learning.

I can't speak for Hong Kong, but Nyc reminds me a lot of Tokyo, and for that reason, I love Nyc, as well.
Hong Kong reminds me even more of New York City. Mostly because of the many skyscrapers.

That being said, Tokyo is a massive massive city as well. Both are large dense cities. But HK seems to have a greater concentration of large skyscrapers more like you'd see in NYC.

Tokyo has them too, but I tend to think of Tokyo more from its Shibuya, Shinjuku types of areas, which have a completely different feel - which I also quite like - as everyone does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hong Kong reminds me even more of New York City. Mostly because of the many skyscrapers.

That being said, Tokyo is a massive massive city as well. Both are large dense cities. But HK seems to have a greater concentration of large skyscrapers more like you'd see in NYC.

Tokyo has them too, but I tend to think of Tokyo more from its Shibuya, Shinjuku types of areas, which have a completely different feel - which I also quite like - as everyone does.
I've never been to Hong Kong, so I can't make the comparison. I was more or less referring to the billboards in Tokyo - mainly the Ginza area. They remind me a lot of Times Square. As a matter of fact, I believe Ricoh has erected a billboard in Times Square that looks like the billboard in Ginza. Hong Kong may very well have the same types of billboards.

I love Shibuya and Shinjuku, but as I've gotten older, I've become more of a Ginza type girl....joined my mother's crowd. LOL

Old 06-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I've never been to Hong Kong, so I can't make the comparison. I was more or less referring to the billboards in Tokyo - mainly the Ginza area. They remind me a lot of Times Square. As a matter of fact, I believe Ricoh has erected a billboard in Times Square that looks like the billboard in Ginza. Hong Kong may very well have the same types of billboards.

I love Shibuya and Shinjuku, but as I've gotten older, I've become more of a Ginza type girl....joined my mother's crowd. LOL
Yeah, true about those billboards.. There is a Times Square feel there.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah, true about those billboards.. There is a Times Square feel there.
The bright lights still excite me to this day.

How do you like Osaka thus far?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
The bright lights still excite me to this day.

How do you like Osaka thus far?
Osaka has that same 'Times Square feel' at Namba. Surrounded by lights, billboards, tall bulidings and a small river running underneath it as you stand on a small little bridge taking it all in.

One of my favorite parts of Japan, by far.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Osaka has that same 'Times Square feel' at Namba. Surrounded by lights, billboards, tall bulidings and a small river running underneath it as you stand on a small little bridge taking it all in.

Sounds nice. In my 16 years of living in Japan, I never visited Osaka. What a shame. I was a kid, and I didn't appreciate the country as much as I should have. As an adult, I find myself trying to play "catch up,' and my trips to Japan have become less frequent.

I hope to get a chance to visit Osaka one day.

Enjoy your stay!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
Quote:

I was reading a rather somber article several months ago about Japan's unfortunate and bleak economic situation and how most of its cities (aside from Tokyo) have suffered and have lost much of their luster since the economic boom of the '80s. I don't know if you've been there long enough to make a comparison but does Osaka seem kind of...dilapidated? I don't know a better word to use.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,752 times
Hong Kong

Old 06-08-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I was reading a rather somber article several months ago about Japan's unfortunate and bleak economic situation and how most of its cities (aside from Tokyo) have suffered and have lost much of their luster since the economic boom of the '80s. I don't know if you've been there long enough to make a comparison but does Osaka seem kind of...dilapidated? I don't know a better word to use.
Osaka feels 'lived in'...not shiney and new like Tokyo.

I have a feeling that Osaka looked 'lived in' during the height of the bubble as well though.

(I visited Osaka several times in the 1990s, and more or less looks the same).

Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 PM

34 posts, read 129,940 times
I gotta ask, is tokyo as futuristic as people think it is and does it have like 10 time squares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia