U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 07:49 PM

610 posts, read 2,758,709 times

Advertisements

Has anyone on this forum ever been there.

I was there for four months over the summer and I hated every minute I was there. The country is trying to compete with Dubai yet there is nothing to do there except go to the one of the three or four malls they have recently built.

The nightclubs in Qatar charge you a $30 (US) cover charge just to enter and half the time the club is empty, even on Friday nights. Also, most of the nightclubs are filled with Chinese hookers asking you if want any "services".

Human slavery is also evident in that country. I remember talking to some of the Filipina ladies that work at a Ponderosa Steakhouse and they told me they make 1,000 riyals ($250 US dollars) a month. How the heck can you live off those types of wages in a country where is cost of living is like living in Beverly Hills, CA.

Last edited by heeha; 12-06-2009 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 PM

5,457 posts, read 12,692,541 times
Default Hot!

You don't know how hot it can get in a car until you've lived there in the summer! I feel for you; I've had to go a few times for weeks at a time, the longest one month. I've also been in the winter, it was very nice.

But you are right about Doha; they treat the expats from Indonesia and India like garbage, they confescate their passports while they work all night on the buildings (they really can't work during the day, it's too damn hot). The employers take the passports, not the country.

However, I don't know if you noticed when you left, but before you leave, you must announce to the ministry that you are leaving, your name then gets published in the paper asking anyone that has a claim against you to come forward. In other words, you are not allowed to leave if you have unfinished business. If you are an expat and have an accident, it's your fault automatically.

The local women are relegated to the back seat, though that is changing. 'Just a different way of life than that of the West. Also, this thing about Muslim's not drinking alcohol... well, that is not what I witnessed at the Marriott where I sayed, tons of local Muslim men who drank in the shadows... and I know for a fact they were Muslim.

I have a posting somewhere in this forum about the legalized slavery if you will. I witnessed it as well.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:01 PM

218 posts, read 509,393 times
Yes, went there on business. Where we stayed was elegant but we couldn't wait to leave. Interesting how all the human rights groups/marches NEVER address the human slavery issues in this country and the Middle East. Above poster right. Our host told us that slaves are quite common... I was amazed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or