U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:34 PM

90 posts, read 274,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by painful View Post
100% of Chinese exporters want to raise the prices with better quality, but not acceptable to the overseas importers, they just want it cheap and continue to make big margins.

China made is not always of bad quality, all depends on what the market need and how much the consumers would pay. However the milk powder accident in China last year was a big shame of all Chinese people, which ruined the confidence in the industry, both abroad and home.
I agree...... it's all up to the importer. When Chinese factories sell to foreign importers who want to make big margins, of course they are going to try to make it with the lowest quality possible. However if you see the products they make to sell in Asia/ their own country, there are a lot of fantastic products with fantastic quality.

My cousin was in China and bought a knock-off iPhone and it's much better than the original iPhone!!!
The battery lasts five times as long, there are so many more fancy functions, you can use it in North America and Europe, and it takes TWO sim cards at once (it's got 2 sim card slots and 2 phone books), which I thought was just super cool. It doesn't break down and it's the fanciest chic phone I've ever seen. Much, MUCH cheaper than the real iPhone but superior quality.

So it really depends on who the target market is. China makes a lot of high-quality products but they just don't think it's worth it to sell to North America. To a lot of Chinese exporters who sell to North America, they just think that Americans are willing to use poorly-made shxt (which is true. supply & demand, there are lots of ppl in North America who wanna save $ and are willing to buy cheap shxt), so that's what they make & ship out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:42 AM

253 posts, read 514,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
The Chinese focus is currently on replication of designs sent to them by foreign firms. They are improving their higher education system so they can innovate, but they are not there yet. The Chinese still buy aircraft, nuclear reactors, gas turbines, and designs for a lot of machinery from US companies.

But if you have any doubt that Chinese are not yet technological innovators, just look to their high technology. Their spacecraft are practically carbon copies of Russian Soyez vehicles. Their aircraft are MiG knoffs. The list goes on...
the 'great leap forward' eliminated a generation of scientists, educators, etc. it stunted china's growth (intellectual) enormously. before communism, i think china was known for many innovations.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:10 PM

5,054 posts, read 5,718,547 times
Pretty much everything is made in china here. Even big name brands such as Adidas are made in china now

Chinese made products are absolute s***, cheap crap that doesn't last a year

For example, my dad has a pair of Jeans he bought in Germany 20 years ago, and he's still wearing them, without a single hole or popped thread.

Some of my shirts, which are made in china (impossible to find anything else), get holes and tears in them after 1 year and if they get wet or don't dry out properly once because the weather is bad or whatever, they develop that gross damp smell which is impossible to remove

I try to boycott chinese products whenever possible, but 99% of the time it is not

Old 12-24-2009, 06:56 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,302,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painful View Post
China made is not always of bad quality, all depends on what the market need and how much the consumers would pay. However the milk powder accident in China last year was a big shame of all Chinese people, which ruined the confidence in the industry, both abroad and home.
The Chinese have the right idea, though, executing those responsible. A lot of our own CEOs would start earning their pay if the price of a major environmental disaster was going to entail the death penalty for the head guy.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:22 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,938,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
The Chinese have the right idea, though, executing those responsible.
You really think those poor jerks they execute are the people who are "responsible?"

No, those are mid-level middlemen scapegoats. The wealthy Party members who are responsible are never brought to justice. After all, they're members of The Party and above the law.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:48 AM

21,367 posts, read 19,297,224 times
Here there are so called 'lojas chinesas', i.e. Chinese shops in almost every town and city. The authorities don't like them as they pay no taxes due to several tricks. Comedians make fun of them.
Yet they offer a very wide range of products, mostly cheap stuff, but their better stuff is actually quite good. I have bought several tools there, which would have cost me 3 to 5 times as much in a Portuguese shop without being any better. And the Chinese are rather friendly, one does not feel like interrupting employees' chatter And I like the bazaar feeling, discovering the good stuff among all the trash

I used those typical Chinese red blue white mash bags when moving house recently. They are very cheap and at the same time very tough. I even put my tower computer in such a bag as I had no box for it

Regarding electric and electronic stuff, well, I guess much of it is made by the same companies which also produce for known Western brands. One cannot know if it is any good or not until it fails

Old 12-25-2009, 10:58 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,302,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
You really think those poor jerks they execute are the people who are "responsible?"

No, those are mid-level middlemen scapegoats. The wealthy Party members who are responsible are never brought to justice. After all, they're members of The Party and above the law.
And you know this how?

Old 12-25-2009, 02:46 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,110,144 times
If they raised their quality, they'd have to raise their prices, if they raised their prices, people who shop at wal-mart wouldn't buy their items, if people didn't buy their items they'd have to lower their prices, if they lowered their prices they'd have lower the quality.....

We in America are getting exactly what we pay for, and then some b*tch about the quality.

Americans and the rest of 'em want cheap light bulbs and cheap shampoo and so the the Chinese are smart enough to give us what we want.

If China raised their quality/prices we'd start buying low quality/priced items from India or some other country...why would China step on their own toes and raise quality?????

Old 12-25-2009, 02:53 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,899,738 times
I recently went shopping for a mailbox that mounts on an outside door. I went to several places looking for one that was made in the U.S.A. I did find one and it was not only cheaper than all the other ones I saw that were made in china but it was an absolute P.O.S. Sloppy construction and chintzy overall.
Next one I buy will be made in China and will be a much better mailbox.
U.S. products are getting worse as Chinese products are improving.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:18 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,415,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Pretty much everything is made in china here. Even big name brands such as Adidas are made in china now

Chinese made products are absolute s***, cheap crap that doesn't last a year

For example, my dad has a pair of Jeans he bought in Germany 20 years ago, and he's still wearing them, without a single hole or popped thread.

Some of my shirts, which are made in china (impossible to find anything else), get holes and tears in them after 1 year and if they get wet or don't dry out properly once because the weather is bad or whatever, they develop that gross damp smell which is impossible to remove

I try to boycott chinese products whenever possible, but 99% of the time it is not
Your location is close to Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, India and Pakistan. You have plenty of choices to shop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
If they raised their quality, they'd have to raise their prices, if they raised their prices, people who shop at wal-mart wouldn't buy their items, if people didn't buy their items they'd have to lower their prices, if they lowered their prices they'd have lower the quality.....

We in America are getting exactly what we pay for, and then some b*tch about the quality.

Americans and the rest of 'em want cheap light bulbs and cheap shampoo and so the the Chinese are smart enough to give us what we want.

If China raised their quality/prices we'd start buying low quality/priced items from India or some other country...why would China step on their own toes and raise quality?????
I've yet to find any made-in-China hair shampoo on sale here. But for soap bar, liquid soap, shampoo & conditioner, many are labeled "product of Mexico".
My grannie told us that Camay soaps used to be made-in-England, then made-in-USA.

I bought a desk lamp (Light of America) from Costco and I can't find the replacement bulb on sale here in Canada. BTW I've thrown out 2 solid desk lamps for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I recently went shopping for a mailbox that mounts on an outside door. I went to several places looking for one that was made in the U.S.A. I did find one and it was not only cheaper than all the other ones I saw that were made in china but it was an absolute P.O.S. Sloppy construction and chintzy overall.
Next one I buy will be made in China and will be a much better mailbox.
U.S. products are getting worse as Chinese products are improving.
Yeah, the next time we want a Volvo and a Hummer, think China. And for a Jaguar, it is India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or