U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Tokyo 68 66.67%
Seoul 34 33.33%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:16 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,021,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Seoul, South Korea FTW! That place is amazing!!
Damn wtf?
You've been everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 04:23 AM

3 posts, read 16,227 times
Korea is hugely underrated as a tourist destination and Seoul is a cool city. However, in overall terms of culture, history, architecture, food, excitement.... Tokyo is slightly ahead in every category. It is hellishly expensive, though; a capsule hotel (cupboard) and one drink in Tokyo will cost the same as a pleasant budget hotel and 5 pints in Seoul.

One thing I noticed about Tokyo is that they have a much stronger grasp of the English language: you can expect shopkeepers to break out in fluent English, often in an English accent. In fact I was impressed by how generally aware of British music and fashion they are. You'll see union jack handbags everywhere and plenty of Irish/English/Scottish themed pubs (sorry Wales) serving real ale. I live in Seoul and they're hardly aware a place called London exists!

I reiterate though: the superiority of Tokyo is levelled-out by the costs.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:59 AM

7,909 posts, read 12,170,743 times
Tokyo for me, but I am biased. Seoul is no joke though.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:18 AM

4,811 posts, read 8,814,941 times
I haven't been to either

Old 12-18-2010, 10:33 AM

23,096 posts, read 35,044,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
You haven't karaoke'd until you've karaoke'd in Japan. They know how it's done!

I've never been to Seoul but I loved Tokyo. Between the off the wall kids in Harajuku and the endless sea of people walking to work, it's a culture shock but it's amazing.

乾杯!!
Believe me, in the world of Karaoke, Seoul holds its' own. My DH goes to meet clients there, and when you go out, it is considered unacceptable not to participate. His last foray into Karaoke was I Will Survive; his business partner called and let me listen while he was singing it, and it was beyond terrible.
I heard they were getting rid of those adorable uniformed girls that direct traffic out of Incheon Airport...I hate that. They were so wonderfully choreographed, and I think they were one of my favorite things about the city.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:36 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,437,513 times

WTF ?? This thread should be moved

Old 12-19-2010, 10:43 AM

2,880 posts, read 6,168,830 times
You can feel like Seoul is your oyster without breaking the bank. Seoul is almost as large and trendy but I'd probably have the lifestyle of a broke college student if I lived in Tokyo. Plus, cabs are affordable especially if you have a couple more people with you.

Just wanted to add that Tokyo probably ranks higher than Seoul in many areas. I'd put it on the level of NYC and London. But, in this stage of my life I prefer Seoul and I chose to live here over Tokyo.

Last edited by destinedtodave; 12-19-2010 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 AM

23 posts, read 23,336 times
Both too crowded, so neither.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:51 AM

2,880 posts, read 6,168,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom.h View Post
Korea is hugely underrated as a tourist destination and Seoul is a cool city. However, in overall terms of culture, history, architecture, food, excitement.... Tokyo is slightly ahead in every category. It is hellishly expensive, though; a capsule hotel (cupboard) and one drink in Tokyo will cost the same as a pleasant budget hotel and 5 pints in Seoul.

One thing I noticed about Tokyo is that they have a much stronger grasp of the English language: you can expect shopkeepers to break out in fluent English, often in an English accent. In fact I was impressed by how generally aware of British music and fashion they are. You'll see union jack handbags everywhere and plenty of Irish/English/Scottish themed pubs (sorry Wales) serving real ale. I live in Seoul and they're hardly aware a place called London exists!

I reiterate though: the superiority of Tokyo is levelled-out by the costs.
I agree that Seoul and Korea as a whole just isn't on the radar in the West compared to Japan/China. I also agree that Tokyo probably is a tad more exciting and perhaps Japanese culture/history is a tad more interesting to the average Westerner. I feel bad sometimes when my students ask me what the most famous part of Korean culture is back home...

But really, I'm surprised you think the English level of Seoulites is low. From what I've heard anecdotally, it's higher than in Tokyo and the Korean frenzy for English education supports this. Then again, the last Asian city I lived in was Shanghai so Seoul feels vastly more English-literate. Hmmm...except for when you go into a Family Mart in Hongdae asking for directions

On a side note: you can find real ale in Tokyo?! By any chance, have you found anywhere in Seoul that has this? I've been craving it for some time and Google's not helping me at all.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:19 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,289,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I agree that Seoul and Korea as a whole just isn't on the radar in the West compared to Japan/China. I also agree that Tokyo probably is a tad more exciting and perhaps Japanese culture/history is a tad more interesting to the average Westerner. I feel bad sometimes when my students ask me what the most famous part of Korean culture is back home...

But really, I'm surprised you think the English level of Seoulites is low. From what I've heard anecdotally, it's higher than in Tokyo and the Korean frenzy for English education supports this. Then again, the last Asian city I lived in was Shanghai so Seoul feels vastly more English-literate. Hmmm...except for when you go into a Family Mart in Hongdae asking for directions

On a side note: you can find real ale in Tokyo?! By any chance, have you found anywhere in Seoul that has this? I've been craving it for some time and Google's not helping me at all.
Japanese culture is simply sexier than Korean culture. Karaoke, sushi, anime, samurai, Japanese cinema...all of these things resonate with Westerners. I don't think most Americans even associate anything in particular with Korea.

I'm sure Korea has awesome things (and I'm sure Seoul is fantastic), but I think you are right that Japan is just more familiar to the West in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or