U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Tokyo 68 66.67%
Seoul 34 33.33%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 16,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
But really, I'm surprised you think the English level of Seoulites is low. From what I've heard anecdotally, it's higher than in Tokyo and the Korean frenzy for English education supports this. Then again, the last Asian city I lived in was Shanghai so Seoul feels vastly more English-literate. Hmmm...except for when you go into a Family Mart in Hongdae asking for directions

On a side note: you can find real ale in Tokyo?! By any chance, have you found anywhere in Seoul that has this? I've been craving it for some time and Google's not helping me at all.
I think the reason Korea appears to be in a "frenzy" over English education is because the 'hermit kingdom', as it was once known, has only really awakened to English/globalisation in the last couple of generations, and is consciously fighting to counteract it.

My Korean friends said that the Japanese are really bad at English, a statement I definitely found to be untrue. Maybe it's one of those myths the two nations perpetuate about each other the same way the British and the French like to.

Really though, it was more the references to British things in Tokyo that surprised me. Seoul's perception of English language culture seems totally American, Korea is enamoured with the US. Perhaps Japan feels an affinity with Britain, being an ancient little island.

Anyway that's not a reason to prefer Tokyo per se, I just thought it was interesting to mention.

Regarding good ale: I don't know anywhere specific in Seoul, but in Tokyo there's a little Scottish bar in Shinjuku called Hazelburn which I thought was fantastic!!

Last edited by thom.h; 12-22-2010 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: P.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 AM

486 posts, read 915,515 times
I chose Tokyo however I feel that Seoul is a little more unknown to people and therefore under-appreciated. I've been to both, and Seoul was quite impressive (not like Tokyo though), and its metro population is right up around or a little over 20 million. Not a lot of people realize that.

I don't know, but I'd imagine that this is because of South Korea's relatively recent economic development (the last 30 years or so) and Seoul's relatively recent population explosion???

Old 12-23-2010, 11:12 AM

759 posts, read 1,671,872 times
Both Japan and Korea have declining populations, so it will be interesting to see if Tokyo and Seoul start declining in population.

It would be almost impossible to maintain long-term population growth, especially in Seoul, since most of the country already lives in metropolitan Seoul.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 PM

22,149 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Both Japan and Korea have declining populations, so it will be interesting to see if Tokyo and Seoul start declining in population.

It would be almost impossible to maintain long-term population growth, especially in Seoul, since most of the country already lives in metropolitan Seoul.
Well, it's generally been depopulation of the countryside and then smaller cities while the megacities maintain growth. I reckon that'll continue to happen.

I guess for Seoul in particular, there's always the possibility of unification with North Korea and the boom of migrants from the north that would result.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 16,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
You can feel like Seoul is your oyster without breaking the bank. Seoul is almost as large and trendy but I'd probably have the lifestyle of a broke college student if I lived in Tokyo. Plus, cabs are affordable especially if you have a couple more people with you.

Just wanted to add that Tokyo probably ranks higher than Seoul in many areas. I'd put it on the level of NYC and London. But, in this stage of my life I prefer Seoul and I chose to live here over Tokyo.
I totally agree with this. Although Tokyo is superior, as an English teacher in particular you can live like a king in Seoul, whereas you'd probably struggle to finance an active social life in Tokyo.

I'd also say that NYC/London/Tokyo are probably the big three global cities, slightly ahead of everywhere else in most categories (except, perhaps, viable livability).

Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,722,213 times
Tokyo!!!

Old 12-08-2012, 04:27 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,898,109 times
Tokyo is one of the most vibrant, bustling cities in the world. Seoul is vibrant too but not quite on the same level.

Tokyo: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=resta...46.84,,0,10.32

Old 12-08-2012, 05:25 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,810,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, it's generally been depopulation of the countryside and then smaller cities while the megacities maintain growth. I reckon that'll continue to happen.

I guess for Seoul in particular, there's always the possibility of unification with North Korea and the boom of migrants from the north that would result.
Should that happen Seoul would turn into a slum filled with poor people.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM

614 posts, read 1,251,439 times
Been to both. Seoul edges out tokyo in vibrancy and nightlife in my opinion. They're both incredibly vibrant and dynamic, but I find Seoul to be a more 24 hour city than tokyo. The people also tend to be a little more outgoing and open compared to the somewhat reserved and polite culture of the Japanese.
It's one of a few cities where you can literally go full out shopping for anything you want at 3-4 am and the districts are full of life and people.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:18 PM

369 posts, read 800,556 times
No contest between them. Tokyo is clearly the winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or