U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:46 AM

433 posts, read 1,715,078 times

Advertisements

It seems like the expat package is slowly becoming extinct. We would *love* to live abroad- we love Singapore and Hong Kong and China. Which US companies still offer expat packages to these countries? We are looking for finance/controller/CFO type positions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 12:13 PM

422 posts, read 1,248,584 times
ya...the expats usually get very attractive remuneration packages in singapore i.e. relocation costs, paid housing, paid children's education, paid vehicle/chauffeur/domestic helper, fat income/bonuses...on top of all that, the tax situation is extremely favorable for foreigners i.e. no taxes on capital gains, low property/income tax etc.

unfortunately, the same doesn't apply to singaporeans going to the states for work. hell, my spouse's employer didn't even offer to pay for our relocation cost upfront (we had to ask for it)......

maybe when we were to obtain our US citizenship...we too can return to singapore to enjoy the "expat pay package". kinda funny....when i think of it.

the economy is picking up again in singapore/hong kong....so it shldn't be that difficult to find a cushy job over there now. good luck!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:35 PM

433 posts, read 1,715,078 times
We don't need all the cushy stuff- we don't need anything you listed (relocation costs, paid housing, paid children's education, paid vehicle/chauffeur/domestic helper, fat income/bonuses) except of course it would be nice to get relo costs... What we really need is the work visa. We've lived abroad before NOT on US passports and the only thing the company paid for was our tickets there. Lucky for us we just brought our suitcases with us!

My husband just became a US citizen so I know how difficult it is to get work visas to the US (been there done that). Every time we apply for jobs in Singapore they ask about work permit- that is why I was asking about an expat package, since the company get the work permit for you.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:51 PM

for singapore....when you apply for the jobs that you qualify for and get accepted...they'd do all the necessary work VISA/spousal VISA documentation for you so that you could go over.

the thing is to suss out such jobs and start applying. if you've the necessary qualifications & if your field is highly desired...it shldn't be too difficult 'cos many firms in singapore prefer top positions to be filled by "expats/foreign talants". some companies would even offer to pay for your airfare to go to singapore for the final interview.

try sending your resumes to some of the headhunting/recruitment firms in singapore....or just send directly to the firms that may be hiring now or in future.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:58 AM

not sure if you've checked out this website?
Contact Singapore - Overview

Old 01-15-2010, 04:30 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,416,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
Every time we apply for jobs in Singapore they ask about work permit- that is why I was asking about an expat package, since the company get the work permit for you.
I reckon what your husband needs is an Employment Pass.
Work permits are for unskilled or semi-skilled foreign workers, and applicants have to go through ridiculous medical tests.
url address: mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en/communities/work_pass.html

You post states that you are looking for employment with "large US companies". There are employment opportunities with the Singapore Government and state-owned companies, and public & private companies. Try googling Temasek Holdings, Sembawang Shipyard, DBS, SIA, MAS, etc.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:55 PM

dougie is right. for foreign professionals/executives, you are referring to an EMPLOYMENT PASS.

there are also the S-Pass for middle-level skilled workers and work permits are more for low-skill workers (i.e. labourers, domestic helpers etc.).

employment pass is tied to a specific employer. so once you get accepted by an employer (be it MNC/US firm/local firm) based in Singapore...they'd assist to apply for an employment pass for you. it's not unlike the H1B visa that the US immigration issues to foreigners.

you shldn't limit your scope of job search to just US companies based in Singapore....any big firm in Singapore who are looking to fill key CFO positions are likely to consider any qualified candidates from anywhere in the world.

all the best!

Old 01-15-2010, 05:59 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,936,219 times
But there is a Good News/Bad News dynamic to getting a job in Singapore.

Good News: You got a job in Singapore!
Bad News: You live in Singapore.......

Teak (in Malaysia)

Old 01-15-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
But there is a Good News/Bad News dynamic to getting a job in Singapore.

Good News: You got a job in Singapore!
Bad News: You live in Singapore.......

Teak (in Malaysia)
and would M'sia be a better place to work and live?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,936,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
and would M'sia be a better place to work and live?
It depends upon what you want. The times that I have visited Singapore, it felt too much like a giant mall. Yeah, the buses run on time; yes the people dress up all of the time; yes there is little trash to be seen. But, parking is restricted downtown, fuel is expensive (and you cannot leave for Malaysia with less than 1/2 a tank). Restrictions, restrictions, restrictions. My son had a T-shirt that said: Singapore is a Fine City. And then it had the various fines posted, for littering, failing to flush a toilet, chewing gum, etc. Housing is also very expensive; most people live in high-rise apartment blocks.

It is quite telling that many Singaporeans own vacation homes up and down the east coast of Malaysia (where I live), and use Malaysia for their vacation time. Why travel to a vacation spot when you can live there (and find good work also)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or