U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: China or Japan?
China 26 28.26%
Japan 66 71.74%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,983,766 times

Advertisements

Tough question, but I will go with Japan, since I'm a huge fan of the language, history, and culture. But China isn't that bad, either. In fact, I think it is one of the most amazing place in the world. Because of it's history, size, and population, China is so unique. I would love to visit the city of Harbin - a city with a strong Russian influence. Quite a sight to see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 11:32 PM

3,699 posts, read 8,866,765 times
Since I'm already living in Japan, visiting China would be something new and exciting to me. In fact, I would like to take a trip there within the next few years and visit Shanghai, Xi'an, Beijing, and Guilin.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:39 PM

202 posts, read 505,146 times
Considering I wouldn't have to deal with secret police or any other commie bullsh*t, definitely Japan.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:50 AM

2,449 posts, read 4,821,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
Considering I wouldn't have to deal with secret police or any other commie bullsh*t, definitely Japan.
You might want to actually learn about a place before you deride it.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
You might want to actually learn about a place before you deride it.
Oh, so they DON'T have secret police, political prisoners, and a commuinist regime that censors its peoples' access to the outside world? I must have missed the newsflash. Not to mention them having a fit over our President meeting with the Dalai Lama. That some of my countrymen have chosen to get in bed with them disgusts me to no end.

BTW, I'm NOT referring to all Chinese people, I'm talking about their government and those citizens who are happy to trade their freedom for some perceived safety.

Don't dismiss my point of view as ignorant just because it doesn't agree with yours. I've lived in Japan, and have spent time in Korea and The Phillipines. Where have you been?

Old 02-19-2010, 02:10 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,983,766 times
^^

What does China's government has to do with a hypothetical visit?

Old 02-19-2010, 02:35 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,422,705 times
I've been to China, mostly big cities, on leisure, business and official capacities. Yes I was warned by well meaning locals. There are subtle messages for those who want to see. Read "Rio Tinto".

Harbin is indeed fascinating. All the 9 figure skaters of the Chinese Olympics Team are from Harbin & Heilongjiang, with some of them holding Canadian Permanent Resident status. Now with all that M$ cash rewards for winning gold, more Vancouver real estate is in the shopping list.

Harbin also has a Japanese past. Not too long ago, I read that while bulldozing down some old buildings, diary, letters, photos and personal effects of a Japanese mother and daughter were found. They never returned to Japan, so were many other Japanese it seemed.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
^^

What does China's government has to do with a hypothetical visit?
My personal opinion is that the policy of acceptance we've taken toward communist China is a mistake, so whenever possible I choose not to spend any money that would go into their pockets (increasingly difficult nowadays).

That said, I don't want to hijack Trimac20's thread by starting a debate, so I'm going to stop posting about this issue.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:19 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,814,544 times
Japan, for two reasons:

1) I've been, twice, but I still haven't explored nearly enough to be happy. My wife is from there, so it's a natural fit for exploring (and she really misses her family so we try to visit every year).

2) I don't want to feed the Chinese coffers any more than my tax dollars already do (taxes used to repay public debt, mostly) so long as they artificially deflate their currency to give their workers a pay advantage. But that's just my personal view ... no need to stir the sh*t that belongs in another forum.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 AM

2,449 posts, read 4,821,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
Don't dismiss my point of view as ignorant just because it doesn't agree with yours. I've lived in Japan, and have spent time in Korea and The Phillipines. Where have you been?
I'm sorry, you are right my great traveled missionary. Please save us from ourselves. It must be hard. Carrying that heavy self-righteous burden behind you, correcting those of us who obviously have no idea of anything about the world except or uncultured and ungodly practices.
name a country that does not have "political prisoners".
next, name the country with the highest per capita incarceration rate.
McCarthyist propaganda and accusations are made, but then the subject is proposed to be dropped due to irrelevance. if it was irrelevant, then don't bring it up. If it is relevant, then a chance should be given to defend.

Last edited by bluebeard; 02-22-2010 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or