Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 03:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

I'm leaving for a holiday in Thailand tomorrow.
Any tips on liveaboard diving in the Andaman Sea?

Experiences and/or company names would be a big help.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
I took a 10-day surf trip aboard an Indonesian boat. Living on the boat is great if all you care about is doing the activity you're there to do (surf or dive). The boat I was on was not for those picky about cleanliness or privacy. Still, we passengers lived like kings compared to the crew, 8 of whom shared the wheelhouse and open deck as their sleeping quarters.

I swam over to another boat to use their satellite radio during the trip, and that vessel was like a floating hotel. **** and span with lots of glass and plastic. But I had seen their price tag and those passengers were paying triple or quadruple what I had to cough up.

So there's probably all levels of comfort out there. If you're a hardcore diver, you'll love it. I was in heaven, waking up in the pre-dawn, jumping off the boat to hit the break literally a few minutes after waking up, surfing 10 hours a day, chowing on huge high-calorie meals between sessions, and then passing out as soon as it got dark.

I think even if you don't want to be diving 10 hours a day, you can probably get your boat's dinghy driver to drop you off on nearby islands to hang out with locals or wander around. Orange Juice runs out first, so drink it while you can. Mango is last to go. Don't jump off the boat on the same side as the head just in case it's just an overboard dump.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia