U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:44 PM

28,208 posts, read 47,606,329 times

Advertisements

If you are holidaying in India, and miss the taste of home, don't fret. Along with KFC, Pizza Hut, Mc Donald's, TGI Friday's and Ruby Tuesdays there will now be Taco Bell to make you feel at home.

Yum! Brands, Inc. the parent company of Pizza Hut, KFC etc., recently announced the unveiling of the first Taco Bell in India

Taco Bell goes to India
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 03:15 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,333,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
If you are holidaying in India, and miss the taste of home, don't fret. Along with KFC, Pizza Hut, Mc Donald's, TGI Friday's and Ruby Tuesdays there will now be Taco Bell to make you feel at home.

Yum! Brands, Inc. the parent company of Pizza Hut, KFC etc., recently announced the unveiling of the first Taco Bell in India

Taco Bell goes to India
I hope it's advertised as Tex-Mex food rather than authentic Mexican; I dread to think that Indians will believe that's all there is to Mexican food (when it happens to be one of the most varied in the world).

Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,519,208 times
They change the menu completely according to indian taste. out goes beef and meaty itmes and lot of vegetarian (paneer) and spicy stuff. Yum brands target is indians not foreigners visiting there. In mcdonalds india, only thing similar in taste to american mcdonalds was fish0fillet sandwich otherwise every item is indianised in taste and flavor. In subway india, you get chicken tikka and chicken tandoori subs which americans will never eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I hope it's advertised as Tex-Mex food rather than authentic Mexican; I dread to think that Indians will believe that's all there is to Mexican food (when it happens to be one of the most varied in the world).

Old 06-22-2012, 07:09 PM

331 posts, read 617,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
They change the menu completely according to indian taste. out goes beef and meaty itmes and lot of vegetarian (paneer) and spicy stuff. Yum brands target is indians not foreigners visiting there. In mcdonalds india, only thing similar in taste to american mcdonalds was fish0fillet sandwich otherwise every item is indianised in taste and flavor. In subway india, you get chicken tikka and chicken tandoori subs which americans will never eat.
You can get chicken tikka subs in British subways too

Old 06-23-2012, 04:14 PM

1,609 posts, read 3,151,073 times
Quote:
Unfortunately whatever they serve is going to get branded as 'Mexican' in India since there are no 'authentic' Mexican restaurants there!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,333,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Unfortunately whatever they serve is going to get branded as 'Mexican' in India since there are no 'authentic' Mexican restaurants there!
Mexican Food Now Big in India! - Orange County Restaurants and Dining - Stick a Fork In It

Mexican and (North) Indian food have a lot in common.

There aren't very many Indian restaurants in Mexico. There's a few in Cancun and Mexico City, and probably some other places. However, even a city as large as Merida has no Indian restaurants.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Mexican Food Now Big in India! - Orange County Restaurants and Dining - Stick a Fork In It

Mexican and (North) Indian food have a lot in common.

There aren't very many Indian restaurants in Mexico. There's a few in Cancun and Mexico City, and probably some other places. However, even a city as large as Merida has no Indian restaurants.
Thanks for the info, I actually have that book (Taco USA) downloaded onto my Nook, though I don't think I have reached that excerpt yet?

Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 AM

3,469 posts, read 7,148,073 times
Quote:
Er, Taco Bell isn't authentic Tex-Mex either though....since when is any fast food authentic anything?
I'm sure most see people that, whatever country they're in....

Old 06-26-2012, 04:06 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,133,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Er, Taco Bell isn't authentic Tex-Mex either though....since when is any fast food authentic anything?
I'm sure most see people that, whatever country they're in....
You've sure got that right! I'm from Texas and remember how hard we laughed at what they called "Mexican food" when the Taco Bell franchise first arrived. I really miss all the great family Mexican restaurants that got driven out of business by franchises.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You've sure got that right! I'm from Texas and remember how hard we laughed at what they called "Mexican food" when the Taco Bell franchise first arrived. I really miss all the great family Mexican restaurants that got driven out of business by franchises.
It's questionable if those restaurants were authentic as well. The ones I've been too in Houston always serve enchiladas drenched with melted cheese which is Tex-Mex style; Mexicans don't use melted cheese nor do they use sour cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or