Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 PM

571 posts, read 943,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Not every American who goes to Dubai is a screaming gay athiest who dresses improperly. There are plenty of non-gay, non-athiest Americans as well.

So maybe you can take that one over to the athiest and gay boards and advise them against Dubai, or tell this miniscule segment of loud improperly dressed gay athiests of the U.S. population to tone it down a bit if they do
This was basically what I was saying minus the hyperbole because there are actually significant amounts of atheists, and gay people, and improperly dressed people or any combination of the three.

So we're in agreement then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
This was basically what I was saying minus the hyperbole because there are actually significant amounts of atheists, and gay people, and improperly dressed people or any combination of the three.

So we're in agreement then.
Well, I think as a general rule...people who are really loud and opinionated....regardless if they are christian fundamentalist or the open active gay activist or openly preaching athiest...will probably have 'issues' and 'problems' and 'encounters' wherever they go where everyone doesn't think exactly like them.

So, yeah, IF an American is that THAT kind of an American, they might have problems.

Well, let's ask the OP....OP who started the thread. Are you an obnoxiously loud opinionated gay athiest who routinely dresses improperly in places you shouldn't?

If YES, you might not want to go to Dubai. If NO, then you'll be fine

Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 PM

430 posts, read 1,256,561 times
I lived in Dubai for just over 10 years and really enjoyed it, but you do have to remember that you're in a country ruled by Sharia Law. Calieuropean gave you good information, especially his/her comment "Showing any disrespect towards Islam is treated as a serious punishable offense in Dubai." Know the laws before you go, adhere to them while you're there, and you should have no problem. Break the law (especially when it comes to drugs or sex) and you will pay the piper...big time.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:34 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Wow. Most uninformed thing I've ever read. You'd have a little more credibility if you actually went to the Middle East, but then you might not be raped and thrown in jail, so then I guess you wouldn't be able to post as much misinformation as you just had.

Looking at the stats above...with far more non-muslims working in Dubai than muslims, how do you come to the conclusion that all non-muslims and raped and jailed? How do those people get out of jail to go to work everyday and make money there?

Tiger Beer,
I think the comment was in reference to the possibility of "women" (female of any age whether she's a child or adult and regardless of her religion) being raped and then thrown in jail for being raped. From what I read not only in news articles but even books written by Middle Eastern authors, that is the reality of living in Islamic countries if you're "female". Accuations of either adultery or sexually loose are used primarily against females, whether it's true or not, to arrest them. This doesn't happen to every female that lives there that but it does happen to some. There are many problems living in the USA but even in the ghettos it is unheard of to be raped and then get thrown in jail for being raped. Even male police and religious leaders in the ghetto have a higher standard of morality and more common sense than that.

Isn't it only fair to warn posters that if you are female and move to Dubai, that is a very real possibility of what can happen?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:38 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCatherine View Post
I lived in Dubai for just over 10 years and really enjoyed it, but you do have to remember that you're in a country ruled by Sharia Law. Calieuropean gave you good information, especially his/her comment "Showing any disrespect towards Islam is treated as a serious punishable offense in Dubai." Know the laws before you go, adhere to them while you're there, and you should have no problem. Break the law (especially when it comes to drugs or sex) and you will pay the piper...big time.
TexasCatherine,

did you noticed while you lived in Dubai if breaking the law when it comes to sex primarily only enforced with females? But for men not a problem unless they were involved with drugs?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:00 PM

12 posts, read 15,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Tiger Beer,
I think the comment was in reference to the possibility of "women" (female of any age whether she's a child or adult and regardless of her religion) being raped and then thrown in jail for being raped. From what I read not only in news articles but even books written by Middle Eastern authors, that is the reality of living in Islamic countries if you're "female". Accuations of either adultery or sexually loose are used primarily against females, whether it's true or not, to arrest them. This doesn't happen to every female that lives there that but it does happen to some. There are many problems living in the USA but even in the ghettos it is unheard of to be raped and then get thrown in jail for being raped. Even male police and religious leaders in the ghetto have a higher standard of morality and more common sense than that.

Isn't it only fair to warn posters that if you are female and move to Dubai, that is a very real possibility of what can happen?
No offense, but i had to register just to reply to your dumb post, have you ever even been to the UAE before? I didn't think so, I have lived here for 6 years and its the best country i have lived in, men/women get the same exact punishments here, there is no descrimination.

You also have been constantly talking about rape..rape..rape, it's very unlikely for anyone to be raped here, crime rate is so low, and we rarely ever hear of rape since it's an Islamic nation and most people are religious.

To reply to the original poster, the official language is Arabic, we have all kinds of ethnic groups, very diverse, and it's very very safe here.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,379 times
oh my word - is untamed ohion being serious ha ha ha ha

Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 18,458 times
Untamed Ohioan

You are one of the most ignorant (and arrogantly ignorant) people I have ever encountered online. Get your butt to the Middle East and learn about us before you judge us. A) I am A SCREAMING Ex-Muslim, Atheist, Arab girl who dresses as she would in the US as in Dubai, and no one has ever bothered me. No we don't get raped, and we don't get thrown out in jail for getting raped. I am not from Dubai, (from another Arab country) and I lived my whole life in America and when I am in Dubai i feel absolutely no difference. In fact people who work in Dubai enjoy a better lifestyle and standard of living than in the best cities of America (let alone a state like Ohio). That is why I am giving up my position in Manhattan and moving to Dubai as soon as I get a job there. I will be enjoying a year long summer, beach 15 min away from work, and tax free income. Oh, and by the way take this REAL LIFE STORY. One time I was in Dubai for vaca in 2006, I forgot one of my luggages on the street. 2 DAYS LATER later I am looking for that luggage and I finally found it, untouched, exactly where I left it (the street). Another true story, in Dubai, kids (meaning 8-9 yrs old ) hangout ALONE at 4 IN THE MORNING safely. Try and do that with your kids in Ohio and let me know

Effin ignorance u_u

Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
This might give you more information..

The dark side of Dubai - Johann Hari - Commentators - The Independent

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguix View Post
Untamed Ohioan

You are one of the most ignorant (and arrogantly ignorant) people I have ever encountered online. Get your butt to the Middle East and learn about us before you judge us. A) I am A SCREAMING Ex-Muslim, Atheist, Arab girl who dresses as she would in the US as in Dubai, and no one has ever bothered me. No we don't get raped, and we don't get thrown out in jail for getting raped. I am not from Dubai, (from another Arab country) and I lived my whole life in America and when I am in Dubai i feel absolutely no difference. In fact people who work in Dubai enjoy a better lifestyle and standard of living than in the best cities of America (let alone a state like Ohio). That is why I am giving up my position in Manhattan and moving to Dubai as soon as I get a job there. I will be enjoying a year long summer, beach 15 min away from work, and tax free income. Oh, and by the way take this REAL LIFE STORY. One time I was in Dubai for vaca in 2006, I forgot one of my luggages on the street. 2 DAYS LATER later I am looking for that luggage and I finally found it, untouched, exactly where I left it (the street). Another true story, in Dubai, kids (meaning 8-9 yrs old ) hangout ALONE at 4 IN THE MORNING safely. Try and do that with your kids in Ohio and let me know

Effin ignorance u_u
Sounds like a great place for kids. There are few places I've seen kids being able to hangout alone anywhere. Japan & Korea, might be the only other two places I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia