Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:46 PM

337 posts, read 663,623 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling to Thailand in the next month or so, yet to really set a date or time frame I plan to be over there.

I'd like to hear from anyone who may have helpful advice on where are some affordable and decent/safe places to say while abroad?

I'd like to be around some of the happening areas, but read on the US Travel info site that Thailand isn't so safe for Americans currently , which contradicts things that some local people where I live have told me about the place.

My preference is to stay near the Beaches and enjoy the local flavor.

Thank Your in Advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:21 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
My wife and I backpacked through Thailand last year. We crossed the Malaysia/Thailand border near Hat Yi and then left by making the Bangkok-Siem Rep run into Cambodia.

Hat Yi is a great town with a fun night market and tons of local flavor. It was perfect after Malaysia. But no beaches, so you're probably not interested.

Patong and the Puket area is probably more what you are looking for. Patong is a fun party town, but be aware that the beaches are pretty meh thanks to all the construction. Also, if you're a SWM, then you'll have a big bulls-eye painted on you for working girls and their touts. You will refuse (or not) at least 30 million offers for "ping pong show" or similar.

Bangkok is the place to be, riots or not. There are two parts of town as far as tourists are concerned. Khao San (sp?) road is the backpacker "ghetto" with lots of street food, cheap-ish hotels, massage parlors, travel agencies, etc. It's "near" the old town, river, and temples but isolated from the metro.

Then there's the rest of town which is served by the metro loops. Thai boxing arenas where you can watch underweight kids kick each other after a lot of dancing, super-mega-malls with better IMAX theaters than the US for 1/4 the price, endless open markets, lots of embassies for all your visa needs, oh and TONS of sex-tourist-oriented stuff in the byways.

I hear the northern hills are nice. I hear the other beaches are nice. Haven't been.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:08 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Stay away from Political demonstrations, and dont say anyting bad/silly about their king and you will be fine as far a safety is concerned. The biggest thing you wil have to worry about is the countless "girls" who come up to you, or sometime undercover cops trying to sell you drugs. Needless to say ignore both.

As for other destinations you could try an island such as Koh Sumi, or Koh Toa (epecially if your into Diving) over in the Gulf of thiland, or Krabi on the west coast. You could always go to the full moon parties in Koh Phanag if you are young and single?

I did not go to Phuket, but assume it would be more expensive than most other places in thailand, as it attracts the most tourists.

My favourite part of Thailand however is Chang Mi and surrounds, no beaches up in the mountains of course, but you will see loads more thai culture and see far less tourists which of course makes it cheaper as well. If you have some time i would reccomend the trip.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:30 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,451 times
There is hardly anything in Hatyai, except for a bit of nite-market-type shopping and hookers.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:36 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
It's not a very good idea to be in Bangkok right now,so avoid it if you can.
I think the tourist areas are usually safe from demonstrations and riots....

Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
It's not a very good idea to be in Bangkok right now,so avoid it if you can.
I think the tourist areas are usually safe from demonstrations and riots....
I've read the US warning. Outside of that I'd prefer more insightful responses regarding the area, where to stay at the beaches etc what it's like, I'm a big boy not really looking for people to tell me not to go somewhere cause a country isn't happy w/ their govt, it's the govt they are angry at not the tourists!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:54 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
I've read the US warning. Outside of that I'd prefer more insightful responses regarding the area, where to stay at the beaches etc what it's like, I'm a big boy not really looking for people to tell me not to go somewhere cause a country isn't happy w/ their govt, it's the govt they are angry at not the tourists!
Sorry I answered.
Please go to Bangkok.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:51 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Or you could just skip Thailand at this time and visit Malaysia instead. Lots of beaches and islands to choose from. For mainland beaches (Peninsular Malaysia), check out Cherating beach area, around 40 minutes north of Kuantan (fly in on Malaysian airlines). There are multiple choices of high-end resorts and mid- and low-end hostels and backpacker hangouts. Or go out to one of the following islands:
Pulau Perhentian (Besar and Kecil) - accessible from Kuala Besut, Pulau Redang (Kuala Terengganu), Pulau Tenggol (Dungun), Pulau Kapas (Marang, just south of Kuala Terengganu), Pulau Tioman (Tanjung Gemuk or Mersing).

Old 05-13-2010, 08:16 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
I stayed in Phuket but I chose a hotel up in the hills above town, just to be safe. Unfortunately I did a google and could not find the name of the hotel which I liked (it was also reasonable). I booked it on asiawebdirect dot com or something like that. I'd avoid the town like the plague but it was peaceful up there and the beaches south of town were easy to get to and gorgeous.

If you decide to explore SE Asia, check out Bangkok Airways air passes.. I flew BKK to Siem Reap for 75. SR to Luang Prabang for 75 and onwards to Chiang Mai for also 75. You have to buy the passes before reaching Thailand. Within Thailand I flew air Asia (its worth the pittance to get a first boarder card).

Angkor Wat was stunning, though I felt bad for the people and I was depressed to see a "pedophilia is a crime in Cambodia" banner over the highway. Luang Prabang is (still) magical, and its against the law in Laos for Laotian to spend the night with a foreigner which thankfully cuts down on the sex trade. In Cambodia a tuk tuk driver will stalk you even if you say no. In Laos, you say no, they smile and leave you alone. So did the Laotian kid who offered me pot.. I said no and smiled and he waved and went on his way. Chiang Mai is a welcome break from Bangkok, stayed at the Novotel for under 40 bucks a night!!! It was nice... the hotel, the city and the surroundings...

Enjoy your visit, just stay away from the demonstrations and you will be all right. And be respectful of the kid -- don't bad mouth him and in movie theaters you stand in the beginning when they show pics of the king. A little respect goes a long way..

Lastly, I know the demonstrations don't bother you.. but remember they shut down the airports for quite a bit of time last year.. it was a mess for governments trying to help their nationals leave from military airports..

Old 05-14-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Or you could just skip Thailand at this time and visit Malaysia instead. Lots of beaches and islands to choose from. For mainland beaches (Peninsular Malaysia), check out Cherating beach area, around 40 minutes north of Kuantan (fly in on Malaysian airlines). There are multiple choices of high-end resorts and mid- and low-end hostels and backpacker hangouts. Or go out to one of the following islands:
Pulau Perhentian (Besar and Kecil) - accessible from Kuala Besut, Pulau Redang (Kuala Terengganu), Pulau Tenggol (Dungun), Pulau Kapas (Marang, just south of Kuala Terengganu), Pulau Tioman (Tanjung Gemuk or Mersing).
U said before that this was rain season
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia