Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Are you of Indian descent?

To a lot of poor people from outside the western world, having kids with white skin, blonde hair, non-brown eyes, is considered prestigious. I think you are being the ignorant one, thinking in terms of western political correctness when in the OP's case, it would be considered, even desirable, to see if they can have white kids. In India, the upper castes have lighter skin and more European features, hence why you can understand WHY the OP wants to know?? Geez, I thought you politically correct liberals were open-minded about other cultures
I'm not a liberal, don't know where you got that from, you brainwashed one. Those people are all ignorant... that was my point. Not just picking the OP out of his/her society, but the entire society.

I'm well versed with the differences in cultures and especially in India as I go there all the time for work (I have employees there).

It's clear that the OP has not spent much time outside her society and thus has not learned about darker cultures and/or mixed children. Making her remarks ignorant for sure. Only someone like you would defend him/her.

As I stated earlier, the mixed children I know are beautiful.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:01 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
Why?
Reread the OP.
If you don't see why I'm offended, you won't understand if I try to explain.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:05 PM

614 posts, read 3,210,492 times
All of the people I know who are half East Indian and half white are usually mistaken for Puerto Rican, Brazilian, or Portuguese around here.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:16 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Why own a mutt when you can own a full breed?
You're nuts, the reason is because foreign women are awesome.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Ha ha ha...most white people are the mutts...the Indians are the pure breed...LOL!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah its VERY uncommon, but it does happen. The biggest problem these days is more with the parents. The younger generations don't care near as much about it, don't get me wrong there are many traditional young people, but it is slowly changing. But they do still face a LOT of problems with the parents.
I have several Indian clients. Indian Indian folks. Indian British folks. Indian African folks. The British Indians look down on the Indian Indians. The Indian Africans seem to be neutral. The British Indians seems to marry across racial lines more easily to me but the household still seems to be pretty traditional. With all of my Indian Indian clients and African Indians the marriages were arranged and no more than 2 children. They tend to be professionals and some with college degrees owning businessess.

Interesting thread.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:50 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I have several Indian clients. Indian Indian folks. Indian British folks. Indian African folks. The British Indians look down on the Indian Indians. The Indian Africans seem to be neutral. The British Indians seems to marry across racial lines more easily to me but the household still seems to be pretty traditional. With all of my Indian Indian clients and African Indians the marriages were arranged and no more than 2 children. They tend to be professionals and some with college degrees owning businessess.

Interesting thread.

Yeah, but that makes clear sense. The ones born in UK are Indian.. but not real Indian, they didn't grow up in the country and have the culture first hand so there's a HUGE difference between calling yourself a nationality but being born in a country and being born in that country. All the indians I know that are from India don't even consider American born Indians, Indians, they are just Americans.

In India, I would say 90% of marriages are still arranged.

My grandparents are from Brasil and I speak Portuguese, I also have friends from Brasil who consider me 100% American and laugh if I say I'm Brasilian Its not just an Indian thing.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

Interesting thread.
Is it mostly Indian women or Indian men who are marrying across racial lines?

I gotta admit, British Indian women are quite attractive! Don't know about India itself though, I've heard they aren't at all. Don't know personally though.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

Using PPP data to compare different countries' GDP is worthless.
you are wrong, the correct measure is by PPP not nominal...just the opposite of what you have stated. WHY? because the meaning of GDP is Gross Domestic Product meaning the summation of the intrinsic VALUES of the goods and services. For instance the value of a hair cut provided, which is a service, is still the same because a hair cut is still a hair cut no matter if it is $4 in India or it's $15 in the US.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
you are wrong, the correct measure is by PPP not nominal...just the opposite of what you have stated. WHY? because the meaning of GDP is Gross Domestic Product meaning the summation of the intrinsic VALUES of the goods and services. For instance the value of a hair cut provided, which is a service, is still the same because a hair cut is still a hair cut no matter if it is $4 in India or it's $15 in the US.
It maybe can make some sense when talking about GDP per capita. To access how the average people live.

But PPP makes no sense when comparing the gross total GDP. The nominal amount of dollars is what matters when you analyze international trade. India can't import heavy machinery and computers and pay in Rupees, the same way Brazil can't pay for those imports with Reais.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia