Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times

Advertisements

Was thinking more of a total computer populated planet with no need of humanoids in any form.
Or we may coalesce into some kind of hive mind as techno augmented cyborgs, kind like the Borg on Star Trek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 07:19 AM

5 posts, read 8,245 times
I dont know Borg, never been a star trek fan so, anyway, the good thing about your scenario is it can easily be beat. All you have to do is cut the power supply. That is why the computer conquer world scenario is a good imagination but is weak.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:13 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by putanginaniyo View Post
pepper: Chill, That is MY end of civilizaton scenario , why not make your own? Don't ruin my greatest kick ass dream.
I didn't realize I needed chilling. Surely, you can understand my confusion since Occam's question was "How do you think that civilization on earth will end?" not "What's your fantasy for how the world will end?" Now that you've cleared up the question you were answering, I understand the answer.

I don't like to dream about the end of the world. It's not a fun idea for me. Billions of people and animals dead and an equal number of scavengers buzzing or stalking about. There's a romanticism that surrounds the dream (to use your term) of "the end of world" with only a handful of people surviving to repopulate. It disturbs me so that's why I will not make up my own scenario. But thanks for inquiring.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:18 AM

360 posts, read 444,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Ohioankid, I find it preposterous and laughable that you suggest your archaic, backward, and stifling religion will still be around far into the future.
Thank you! I'm sure you're going to say that to everyone at the Vatican Observatory or all those dumb Catholics like Fr. Lemaitre and educate me and so many others about how we live in the past and are obviously so very ignorant of the future.

... ....

Remember I said I was biased and being an optimist.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by putanginaniyo View Post
I dont know Borg, never been a star trek fan so, anyway, the good thing about your scenario is it can easily be beat. All you have to do is cut the power supply. That is why the computer conquer world scenario is a good imagination but is weak.

We are long past the point of simply unplugging the worlds dependence on the computer in fact we are on the verge of creating artificial intelligence and once we do? that aware intelligence could get tired of us humanoids tinkering with its operating systems and directing it to perform our way.
I think i think, therefore i am!..

Here's a picture of a Borg unit,a fully augmented organic life form.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:19 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We are long past the point of simply unplugging the worlds dependence on the computer in fact we are on the verge of creating artificial intelligence and once we do? that aware intelligence could get tired of us humanoids tinkering with its operating systems and directing it to perform our way.
I think i think, therefore i am!..
I'm reminded of "In the Beginning" by the Moody Blues.

First Man:
I think,
I think I am,
therefore I am,
I think.

Establishment:
Of course you are
my bright little star,
I've miles
And miles
Of files
Pretty files
of your forefather's fruit
and now to suit
our GREAT COMPUTER,
You're magnetic ink.

Inner Man:
There you go man,
keep as cool as you can.
Face piles
And piles
Of trials
With smiles.
It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 8,245 times
jambo: What I mean is, all computers run by power supply, all you have to do is cut the power supply and you beat it. Plus it will always need a human to turn it on and put the program into their memory.. so I see the weakness.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:12 PM

494 posts, read 890,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Everyone (not specifically aimed at OP): A lot of people are interested in the end of the world. What's with our sick obsession with mass destruction? Is it a nod to religion???
In my case there's no 'sick obsession', it's merely for amusement that I bring it up. I'm not going to be around when humans kick it, or when the earth is finally somehow destroyed, so there's not any obsession there. I just find it interesting to pick others brains about silly things from time to time.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:20 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Occam, I'm sorry if you thought that was an attack or criticism. I did not intend that. I was struck by putang's choice of words. It occurred to me that dozens of movies have been made involving the end of the world in part or in whole - Independence Day, Deep Impact, The Day After, even Dr. Strangelove & the Terminator movies (threatened human extinction). Also books like the whole Left Behind series, and many sci fi books. It seems that Americans, at least, have a strange love affair with "the end". Reading Hitchens and others, one would conclude it's a human preoccupation. (Perhaps "sick obsession" was harsh.) Any ideas about why that is? Are we genetically wired to anticipate some horrible demise, or is it just seeing that fate play out throughout history (Cambrian, K-T boundary, etc.)? Or is it the effect of religions? Just curious what you think, what everyone thinks.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 PM

494 posts, read 890,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Occam, I'm sorry if you thought that was an attack or criticism. I did not intend that. I was struck by putang's choice of words. (snip) It seems that Americans, at least, have a strange love affair with "the end". Reading Hitchens and others, one would conclude it's a human preoccupation. (Perhaps "sick obsession" was harsh.) Any ideas about why that is? Are we genetically wired to anticipate some horrible demise, or is it just seeing that fate play out throughout history (Cambrian, K-T boundary, etc.)? Or is it the effect of religions? Just curious what you think, what everyone thinks.
No I didn't think you were attacking me. In fact you did say it wasn't specifically aimed at me. I just wanted to clarify why I asked in the first place. And actually I think it's the reverse of what you ask -- religions are one of the effects of people being afraid of their own mortality. They have to make up stories and reasons for unexplained things, and cling to them out of fear of the unknown. Someone like me, who doesn't believe in an afterlife or the supernatural -- well, I have a far more pragmatic view of things. Everything dies or has an end, and there's nothing to fear about that. It's just how things are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism