Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:00 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Actually, atheists can hold public office in all United States jurisdictions. Many laws remain on the books long after they have been invalidated by courts.

Actually getting elected as an atheist... now that's another story!
This isn't true. There are 7 states which disqualify an atheist to either hold/run for public office:

Friendly Atheist by @hemantsblog » Which States Ban Atheists from Holding Public Office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:10 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,318 times
Oh heavens! My birth state, state I was reared in, and the state where I currently reside are on the list. Geez-a-lou! That's terrible. I really didn't know such laws existed. I'm not surprised though just disappointed.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:26 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Oh heavens! My birth state, state I was reared in, and the state where I currently reside are on the list. Geez-a-lou! That's terrible. I really didn't know such laws existed. I'm not surprised though just disappointed.
Pretty much the bible belt ain't it. Now why would there be such a contradiction between what phony christians say they stand for, and their actual deeds.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:29 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Wow, nice post - as to the "judging", I would call it more an opinion versus a judgment -
Not to nitpick but...

Main Entry: opinion
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: belief
Synonyms: assessment, assumption, attitude, conception, conclusion, conjecture, estimate, estimation, eye*, fancy, feeling, guess, hypothesis, idea, imagining, impression, inclination, inference, judgment, mind, notion, persuasion, point of view, postulate, presumption, presupposition, reaction, say-so, sentiment, slant, speculation, supposition, surmise, suspicion, take*, theorem, theory, thesis, think*, thought, view, viewpoint

Source: Thesaurus.com Opinion Synonyms, Opinion Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

Old 07-01-2010, 01:43 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Not to nitpick but...

Main Entry: opinion
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: belief
Synonyms: assessment, assumption, attitude, conception, conclusion, conjecture, estimate, estimation, eye*, fancy, feeling, guess, hypothesis, idea, imagining, impression, inclination, inference, judgment, mind, notion, persuasion, point of view, postulate, presumption, presupposition, reaction, say-so, sentiment, slant, speculation, supposition, surmise, suspicion, take*, theorem, theory, thesis, think*, thought, view, viewpoint

Source: Thesaurus.com Opinion Synonyms, Opinion Antonyms | Thesaurus.com
You're nitpicking

Old 07-01-2010, 04:58 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
However in browsing this discussion, it appears that many "worry" about their beliefs and beliefs of others, and in a sense are "practicing" their belief
Honestly, this sounds like a bit of projection to me. It's believers who always come to me "worried" about my soul and my lack of belief. I'd never give my lack of belief much thought if religious people weren't always in my face reminding me of it.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
Honestly, this sounds like a bit of projection to me. It's believers who always come to me "worried" about my soul and my lack of belief. I'd never give my lack of belief much thought if religious people weren't always in my face reminding me of it.
non-perfect christians are also being "worried" over quite a bit too.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well the city council person did here in the bible belt, even though opponents tried to out him as an Atheist, his agenda, and the people being fed up with those currently on council got him in. Then there was a push to prevent him from taking the oath to be sworn in. OBTW He was not sworn in with a bible.

If we ever get another president that is a member of the American Taliban, such as Bush, and there is a big turnover in the Supreme Court, these laws on the books, but currently ignored, due to lower court cases could again become active.

And never say "it can't happen", that is the position of a fool. 20 years ago, what chance would you have given a black man to be elected president?
20 years ago I wouldn't have been at all surprised that in the future we would have an African-American President. I wouldn't have guessed it happening by 2009, but the trend of history, over time, is definitely progressive.

So while you can insist that 'anything can happen if...', look at the USSC. Roberts, Scalia, Thomas and Alito - there's the votes to grant cert right there. But you'll notice that they aren't granting cert to overturn Torcaso v. Watkins (1961). But, yes, I agree with your underlying premise - if the American people elect a President who will nominate five James Dobson types to the USSC and also elects a Senate who will confirm them all, then Torcaso will be in peril.

But I'll be expecting our first lesbian atheist President long, long before such a Dobson-esque cabal ever manifests itself on the high court.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:55 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
This isn't true. There are 7 states which disqualify an atheist to either hold/run for public office:

Friendly Atheist by @hemantsblog » Which States Ban Atheists from Holding Public Office?
Yes, it is true. Those states do not disqualify atheists from holding public office. They have laws with that intent, but those laws have been ruled unconstitutional by the United States Supreme Court in Torcaso v. Watkins (1961).

In the same way, there are states with laws banning abortion, but those laws cannot be enforced because they have been ruled unconstitutional. The law books of this nation are chock full of obsolete laws that have been ruled invalid by the courts.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Yes, it is true. Those states do not disqualify atheists from holding public office. They have laws with that intent, but those laws have been ruled unconstitutional by the United States Supreme Court in Torcaso v. Watkins (1961).

In the same way, there are states with laws banning abortion, but those laws cannot be enforced because they have been ruled unconstitutional. The law books of this nation are chock full of obsolete laws that have been ruled invalid by the courts.
This makes sense because I thought for sure discrimination based on religion (or lack of) is unconstitutional. I am a manager for a huge financial services company and we are not ever allowed to ask questions during interviews about one's religion, and in fact cannot even make comments about things candidates say about religion or other prohibited areas - we are to re-direct the conversation. Same with sex, national origin, ethnicity, marital status, age etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism