Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:45 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Her Facebook is nothing except spouts of excitment how she's BLESSED and GROWING IN HIS LIGHT. I laugh at them sometimes when they're really out there - but most of the time it's just sad to see her shut her brain up like this and give up everything she use to like.
^^ :: nodding :: I know exactly what you mean. "Well, I think I've done quite enough thinking on my own, thank you very much! Time for shutdown, in 3....2....1....praise the lawd!!"

Quote:
I don't think she makes more than $20K a year because everything is centered around the church. Can't afford anything, hasn't taken a vacation in years, is completely obsessed with being Christian.
You've hit the nail on the head...they are definitely obsessed with their new label. It seems to completely define them.

Quote:
I don't even talk to her anymore because all she can do is babble off about Jesus and God and this and that. I just want to knock on her head and go HELLOOOOOO!?!? ARE YOU STILL IN THERE!?!? I MISS YOU!!
Again, I completely agree. I miss who my friend USED to be. Seeing that drastic personality change is like losing them through death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:17 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
My experience is a little different. I was raised in a strict Christian environment, and starting in middle school I went to a private Christian school until I graduated high school. So throughout high school and for years after, literally all of my friends were Christians, and most of them pretty darn religious. But in recent years, I've gradually separated myself from religion, finally becoming an atheist. And most of my friends are still religious, still going to church three times a week just like in high school. It's almost like they haven't changed at all in the last 13+ years, but I have.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:48 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Yes folks, I grew up in the religiously saturated Caribbean so many of my friends back in the day had some flirting connection to Christianity, BUT I was one of the few who really took the religion serious during my high school years and into my 20s. While I was all caught up in the superstition that is often Christianity, my peers were partying, traveling, living it up and enjoying themselves. Now that many are in their late 30s and 40s, I am often surprised by the massive amounts of daily scriptures and religious sayings plastered all over their walls. In fact, I dare not post an atheist quote or something exposing or ridiculing religion, namely, Christianity. I get reactions of shock an awe, first, because many are not aware I am no longer a Christian and second, because where they come from, criticizing Christianity in any form is practically blasphemy.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:33 AM

180 posts, read 217,174 times
O man i grew up in Mississippi and still live here , christian fanatics everywhere. I look at these people and realize how stupid i was. But at least i was a child at the time.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:38 AM

And may i add i also believed in santa clause and the easter bunny, how foolish was I.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:11 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
My experience is a little different. I was raised in a strict Christian environment, and starting in middle school I went to a private Christian school until I graduated high school. So throughout high school and for years after, literally all of my friends were Christians, and most of them pretty darn religious. But in recent years, I've gradually separated myself from religion, finally becoming an atheist. And most of my friends are still religious, still going to church three times a week just like in high school. It's almost like they haven't changed at all in the last 13+ years, but I have.
My situation's pretty similar, but I never went to a private school. Still didn't stop church from being mentioned all the time from both students and teachers. If I ever came back here for a class reunion or something after leaving (just hypothetically speaking, no way I would come back here ) I'm sure I would see my acquaintances still stuck in their little Christian worlds.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:19 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I am not sure how manyof you were once young Christians (16-30) who have since kicked [namely] Christianity to the side to now realize that your friends who were the biggest heathens back when you were a Christian are now going to church, become "saved" and/or quoting bible verses all up and down their Facebook wall?

Anyone?

When I was a Christian during high school, walking around trying to covert folks, preaching doom and gloom and sold out to church, my friends used to scoff at me for being a square. 25-30 years later, the reverse is happening. Just about all my late 30 something and early 40 something "friends" on Facebook from back in the day are either now Christians OR really doing the god stuff now. Is it sense of mortality kicking once you hit a certain age and a comfort blanket becomes necessary?
They may simply have drank away too many brain cells.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,645 times
I was raised roman catholic, big Italian family with lots of relatives, aunts uncles and cousins close by. I fought the religion thing my whole life. Realized I was really an atheist the first time I set foot in the St. Rose of Lima school in Freehold NJ when I was 6. I've lost lots of friends due to their foolish decision to believe in the impossible and act like sheep, following others for the same reasons. I'm not gonna start acting like I believe in that non-sense just to keep friends or to belong to any cliques. Where I work one of the local churches has totally infiltrated the department. It's a total disgrace.

It bothers me that they don't respect other peoples beliefs and opinions. What really concerns me is grown people who seemingly have a great amount of intelligence demonstrate and affirm that they really believe that there is some kind of supreme being or god that actually created the universe. That scares me.

You have to live with your decisions. You're not gonna be able to make everyone like you or make everyone happy. But I'm not gonna go through life full of regrets. No one should have to.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
What really concerns me is grown people who seemingly have a great amount of intelligence demonstrate and affirm that they really believe that there is some kind of supreme being or god that actually created the universe. That scares me.
It is scary, all right. They compartmentalize their religion, storing it in a special place in which it is held 'sacred' and not subject to critical analysis, unlike everything else. Although Deism doesn't much bother me; it's only the accretion of dogma that turns it all bad.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:33 PM

One day we will all destroy each other and the leading cause:

drumroll ..............

religion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism