Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:25 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times

Advertisements

I am not sure how manyof you were once young Christians (16-30) who have since kicked [namely] Christianity to the side to now realize that your friends who were the biggest heathens back when you were a Christian are now going to church, become "saved" and/or quoting bible verses all up and down their Facebook wall?

Anyone?

When I was a Christian during high school, walking around trying to covert folks, preaching doom and gloom and sold out to church, my friends used to scoff at me for being a square. 25-30 years later, the reverse is happening. Just about all my late 30 something and early 40 something "friends" on Facebook from back in the day are either now Christians OR really doing the god stuff now. Is it sense of mortality kicking once you hit a certain age and a comfort blanket becomes necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 02:29 PM

408 posts, read 809,409 times
Wow! I do have one childhood friend (since we were 2 yrs old!) She was raised Catholic, I Christian Reformed...since she had a baby at 18 she's been the perfect little angel. My boyfriend was actually the one who opened my eyes from being brainwashed for 18+ years. I will never force my children to attend church like my mother did. I will allow them to experience any religion/church they choose if they wish.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:37 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I am not sure how manyof you were once young Christians (16-30) who have since kicked [namely] Christianity to the side to now realize that your friends who were the biggest heathens back when you were a Christian are now going to church, become "saved" and/or quoting bible verses all up and down their Facebook wall?

Anyone?

When I was a Christian during high school, walking around trying to covert folks, preaching doom and gloom and sold out to church, my friends used to scoff at me for being a square. 25-30 years later, the reverse is happening. Just about all my late 30 something and early 40 something "friends" on Facebook from back in the day are either now Christians OR really doing the god stuff now. Is it sense of mortality kicking once you hit a certain age and a comfort blanket becomes necessary?
My situation is partly like yours--big difference being that I was the kid whose parents insisted I attend church (until I finally spoke up at age 16 due to my unbelief), and my best friend came from a very nonreligious family.

We both partied like crazy in high school and for many years afterward, then she married and basically was pressured by him to end our then 14-year friendship.

Yes, he's a control freak.

Anyway, I found her on FB late last year, and I lasted almost 3 weeks before finally kicking her off my friends list. She had become a zealot after she and the hubby adopted two boys a few years ago, and from her posts on FB and Twitter, every single thing in her life is filtered, first and foremost, through her born-again-christianity lens. There was nothing about her life that was not, in some way, connected to her church or the bible. I could only take so many "I have a pain in my elbow...we prayed for it to go away...it's a miracle!" posts and consume so many Tums before it was just too much pith.

She never ONCE asked me about my life, my children, my family. It appeared that she wanted little to do with anyone from her past who was not now a devout born-again christian (with the exception of her sister).

This, from the same person who witnessed my son's birth 23 years prior, was my maid of honor, and who I counseled when she was suicidal as a young adult.

It hurt to know that someone could change so drastically and become such a comic shell of what they used to be.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:39 PM

408 posts, read 809,409 times
Quote:
She never ONCE asked me about my life, my children, my family.
It seems to me all the very religious people in society do it for show (they drive the fancy cars, have the nice houses) but are very mean/judgemental people once you get to know them.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
It seems to me all the very religious people in society do it for show (they drive the fancy cars, have the nice houses) but are very mean/judgemental people once you get to know them.
Many are, yes.

Forgot to mention that this friend had done the 'born-again' thing very briefly when she was about 20 yrs old...lasted about 6 mos, until she discovered how corrupt the church was, and how heavily they relied on tithing-as-proof-of-faith.

I have a suspicion that her new 'faith' is tied very closely to her new status as adoptive mother (something she pined for for many years) and what she perceives as being a 'good' parent. From other posts, it was pretty painfully obvious she's still clueless about parenting 3 years in (the kids are around 5 and 10).

Another bit I didn't mention, and might explain her standoffishness (is that a word? lol) is that I did reconnect with her and the hubby for a dinner about 12 yrs ago, before she converted.

Her hubby made a move on me, in my kitchen, while she and my then-fiancé chatted in the other room. I told him off quietly, then told her about it by phone a few days later....she refused to believe it.

Methinks she's been a miserable wife for a while and may have needed something to hang onto, if I remember her nature well.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Her hubby made a move on me, in my kitchen, while she and my then-fiancé chatted in the other room. I told him off quietly, then told her about it by phone a few days later....she refused to believe it.

Methinks she's been a miserable wife for a while and may have needed something to hang onto, if I remember her nature well.
That didn't portend well for a future for them, did it? Not a good thing to hang onto. Sheesh.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:03 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

Anyone?

Yes, yes, YES!!! I was the kid sticking Bible verses in lockers, and now all those kids who used to make fun of me (ok, I deserved it) are now posting Bible verses on their FB & Twitter pages. I thought I could finally relate to these people now that I'm enlightened, but they've become squares! Ugh.

I've noticed a strong correlation between parenthood and religion. Seems that my friends and classmates found God when they had kids. One friend, who was so crazy agnostic, has decided to raise her kid in the church because she's afraid the kid might become a Buddhist monk if he's raised with no religion. ?!?!? I just left it alone.

I feel you though, man. I feel you.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That didn't portend well for a future for them, did it? Not a good thing to hang onto. Sheesh.
Not really, no.

I have no idea if she's really happy or not, but it would have been nice to at least have seen a small bit of humanity in her, a brief hint or acknowledgment that we had once been close friends.

Oh well.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:35 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
I grew up non-religious as did pretty much all my friends. Or maybe their parents drug them to church, but they hardly sat around talking about it.

One of my good friends REALLY went off the deep end when she was about 25. Her mom suddenly got all religiouos, like seriously woke up one day and decided to obsess about God, then my friend would show up at home and her mom was crying because my friend was "going to hell" and she (the mom) wasn't. Because the mom found god and the daughter didn't go to church. We were a bit baffled and didn't think anything of it.

Well after about 6 months of this weirdness my friend started going to church, then she was in a youth group, and suddenly she's moving to Oklahoma to go to some bible school or something. We were a little freaked obviously. Now she's given up going to get a college degree, lives in rural Arkansas, gave up her job and is married to some guy and all they do is scream about god.

Her Facebook is nothing except spouts of excitment how she's BLESSED and GROWING IN HIS LIGHT. I laugh at them sometimes when they're really out there - but most of the time it's just sad to see her shut her brain up like this and give up everything she use to like.

I don't think she makes more than $20K a year because everything is centered around the church. Can't afford anything, hasn't taken a vacation in years, is completely obsessed with being Christian.

I don't even talk to her anymore because all she can do is babble off about Jesus and God and this and that. I just want to knock on her head and go HELLOOOOOO!?!? ARE YOU STILL IN THERE!?!? I MISS YOU!!

Old 07-29-2010, 03:43 PM

180 posts, read 217,174 times
Yea i was a jesus fan in school , but after realizing it was a bunch of garbage i through it out. Then it seemed like someone else picked up the trash. Should have burnt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism