U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:34 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,934,398 times
I don't doubt that she did indeed convert. But I also wouldn't be surprised if she intentionally exaggerated her former stance to make her book more desirable to the target audience. Christians love to hear about atheists converting, just as most of us probably like to hear about Christians deconverting. I suspect she knows what the audience wants to hear and is supplying that, in heaping helpings. I know I would if I wrote a book for profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 05:58 PM

8,435 posts, read 5,691,344 times
I always consider an atheist a person of reason and logic. I also expect them to have a working knowledge of religions and thus they can intellectually grasp the concepts at hand.

I don't think she was any of the above. Just because you call yourself something does make it so.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 PM

13,856 posts, read 13,517,828 times
I'm pretty sure that all "atheist" means is you don't believe in God or gods. (Or sometimes, more broadly, that you don't believe in anything immaterial or supernatural) Although most modern atheists are rational or logical atheists there's nothing in the term that requires you be either thing.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:54 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,035,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

Another pretender or shill. My guess is there will be a book and the Christers will put millions in her pockets.

An atheist may come to believe in a non-personal God/supreme being (as in Deism etc) but anyone who has truly reached rational thought cannot go back to Christianity or other "revealed" religions.

EDIT: just read the article and of course, there is a book. Bingo! Cha-ching.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:38 PM

25,349 posts, read 16,343,912 times
Actually, I had the idea for a book like this 20 years ago when I was trying to figure out how to exploit people for my own gain. The more "atheist" you can present yourself the more satisfying it is to hear about your conversion. I mean, just sit in on any church service where people give there testimony and you can see that in action. I've heard people exaggerate their personal testimony for dramatic purposes over time, people I know personally, so I know there are definitely forces at work to make that happen. That's probably where I was sitting when I got the idea....good on her for doing it. I still may do it myself (the book that is, not the conversion).

If she seriously converted, which people do all the time btw, she probably never gave religion too much thought and would have been labled agnostic by most. It doesn't really matter, it's the word "atheist" that drags people in.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:24 PM

13,856 posts, read 13,517,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Another pretender or shill. My guess is there will be a book and the Christers will put millions in her pockets.

An atheist may come to believe in a non-personal God/supreme being (as in Deism etc) but anyone who has truly reached rational thought cannot go back to Christianity or other "revealed" religions.
I was tempted to say "prove it" but "reached rational thought" is slippery enough that one can list any human in history as not having "reached rational thought" so discount any former atheist as having done so.

Still I think Francis Collins, Rosalind Picard, George R. Price, Mary Doria Russell, Edith Stein, and John C. Wright are or were fairly well-read and pretty rational. (Russell converted to Judaism, but you broadened it to any "revealed religion.")

Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 PM

16,007 posts, read 8,352,593 times
I don't think it's impossible for an atheist to become religious. I don't think that I will ever become religious - but I think that everyone is different. However, who the heck cares? I definitely wouldn't buy a book about it. Big deal. People change their minds about things all the time. People change their careers, their spouses, their hairstyles, etc. I don't need to read a book about it.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 AM

8,144 posts, read 3,841,709 times
I guess losing your rational thinking can happen too. Just like some of us started thinking for ourselves and figuring things out and overcame the fear to get out of the cult..the reverse can happen..

Old 08-10-2010, 12:13 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,479,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Actually, I had the idea for a book like this 20 years ago when I was trying to figure out how to exploit people for my own gain. The more "atheist" you can present yourself the more satisfying it is to hear about your conversion. I mean, just sit in on any church service where people give there testimony and you can see that in action. I've heard people exaggerate their personal testimony for dramatic purposes over time, people I know personally, so I know there are definitely forces at work to make that happen. That's probably where I was sitting when I got the idea....good on her for doing it. I still may do it myself (the book that is, not the conversion).
You write the book, but please leave the religious greeting cards to me. I can write lovely prayers and meditations. MUAH HA HA HA HA! [URL="http://******************"]http://******************/vicious-smiley-1815.gif (broken link)[/URL]

Old 08-10-2010, 04:16 AM

15,504 posts, read 7,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm pretty sure that all "atheist" means is you don't believe in God or gods. (Or sometimes, more broadly, that you don't believe in anything immaterial or supernatural) Although most modern atheists are rational or logical atheists there's nothing in the term that requires you be either thing.
Absolutely. You continue to impress me. In fact, though atheism doesn't require disbelief in the supernatural, by definition, it does, rather illogically, require disbelief in the supernatural if that supernatural comes in the form of a god. Clearly, this is the old problem of putting definitions ahead of concepts.

An atheist disbelieves in gods, for whatever reason - because they loathe religion, because they don't believe in what they can't see, because they have never heard of gods, because they have logically evaluated the god - claims and don't buy them, because they are only six months old, because they reject what isn't in the science text - book or because they are too busy collecting nuts (1).

That is why I use the term Thinking atheist - one who thinks about god claims and, having thought about it (and how would they do that without using the only methods that are not those of faith or that dodgy reasoning tool, common sense?) they do not buy it.

Using the same methods, they do not believe in the supernatural (unless they are persuaded by the evidence) nor in Bigfoot, UFO's or Ley -lines, because the evidence for those things does not meet the crteria for logical and evidential acceptance. So, generally, a 'thinking' atheist will tend to be a bit skeptical, because of the method. They will also tend to be a bit liberal because of the lack of belief in God and a set of god - given moral rules.

(1) It was a fierce debate on another board, but I stand by the view that anyone or anything that does not have a god - belief is atheist.

Last edited by AREQUIPA; 08-10-2010 at 04:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism