U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:04 PM

4,799 posts, read 3,902,505 times

Advertisements

Former Atheist: Christianity Really Does Make Sense | Christianpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:28 PM

5,012 posts, read 6,412,138 times
... the point being? People convert all the time, to and from Atheism, according to their own conclusions. Thousands every day. Nothing new here. Further, debating a single person's experiences is not really conducive to anything, really. It's just one person's experiences.

I say if she thinks Christianity is for her, good for her.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:36 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,266,087 times
She sounds like the kind of person who is uncomfortable with not knowing.

Quote:
One reason for her interest, she explains, is that her "naturalistic worldview was inadequate to explain the nature of reality in a coherent way: it could not explain the origin of the universe, nor could it explain morality."
I did not know that morality was such a tough subject that it needed explaining.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,430,243 times
I had issues with so many of her assertions and much of what the article said: "Though she knew next to nothing about Christianity, she began to mock Christians and belittle their faith, intelligence and character." That's shows her personal ignorance and is not a reflection of all or even most atheists. She was ignorant of the world around her.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't read that she grew up understanding religion/s at all (quite the opposite) and without understanding what it means to be a-religious. Without understanding religion/nonreligion, I'm not surprised she turned to religion at some point. I think a person has to know what they believe and why. Without exploring faith (or nonfaith), I believe a person is apt to buy into whatever reaches their ear first - Christianity, Islam, atheism, etc.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:35 PM

10,087 posts, read 7,513,171 times
Former minister converts to atheism.

Why I Left The Ministry And Became An Atheist, by G. Vincent Runyon

My late father George D. Runyon was for many years a successful newspaper publisher, church trustee, church treasurer and prominent citizen of Perth Amboy, New Jersey. His ancestors of French Huguenot stock came to America in 1665. (the Huguenots suffered bloody persecutions during the religious wars of the time). My mother Melvenia Lewis of Welsh descent was a devout Christian and active in good causes. I was first taught to pray at my mother's knee. I commenced going to Sunday School at kindergarten age and attended church regularly with my parents all through my youth. Moderator cut: edited
Dorothy

Last edited by june 7th; 08-26-2010 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Formatted post in order to adhere to copyright rules.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 AM

11,805 posts, read 14,104,764 times
It bothers me when I hear other atheists say that once a person becomes an atheist, s/he will always be an atheist. That is a brittle assumption, too easily broken. It saddens me when it happens, but it happens.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:43 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,194,940 times
Something's not adding up here.

I'm wondering about who wrote that article. Are those the convert's exact words verbatim? Some of the things said on the first page sound exactly like the stuff Christians here whine about "mean ignorant atheist" saying. It's like they were lifted from various different places on the internet.

As for the conversion itself, I have no idea how a person such as herself couldn't get adequate answers to questions to such these:

Quote:
One reason for her interest, she explains, is that her "naturalistic worldview was inadequate to explain the nature of reality in a coherent way: it could not explain the origin of the universe, nor could it explain morality."
Another:
Quote:
"I thought I knew exactly what faith was, and so I declined to look further," she writes. "Or perhaps I was afraid that there was more to it than I was willing to credit – but I didn’t want to deal with that.Easier by far to read only books by atheists that told me what I wanted to hear – that I was much smarter and intellectually honest and morally superior than the poor, deluded Christians.
She didn't believe in any of it, but she was afraid there was more to it? Can we please make up our minds here? Sounds like to me this person was always on the fence.

Also, the bold part, once again, sounds like the words from some fundie, not a college professor of English and literature. Give me a break. It's starting to stink in here.

I don't doubt her conversion, but that whole article is a complete joke. It makes you wonder what other nonsense is out there on these christian sites, and about the people who rely heavily on them for their info on certain things.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 AM

24,806 posts, read 18,200,049 times
She has shut her mind like a steel trap....From her NING page...
You need to be a member of Christian Evangelism and Apologetics to add comments! Holly Ordway's Page - Christian Evangelism and Apologetics (http://shareanddefend.ning.com/profile/HollyOrdway?xg_source=activity - broken link)

I don't believe she ever was an atheist

Old 08-09-2010, 03:00 AM

15,557 posts, read 7,796,606 times
I know what you mean by 'Never an atheist'. The whole flavour (and even flavor) of the piece is cast in the Theist 'I used to be an atheist - like you!' website. The sneers about how it delighted her to tell herself how superior she was to the belivers and 'Denying God'.

However, even if it is true, it's an example of an atheist who simply didn't look at the question from both sides. If she had, she would surely have seen that the naturalistic viewpoint at least could not be dismissed and morality certainly cannot only be explained by God.

Ifanything it is a timely warning to all the 'Thinking atheists' to learn the debate, publish the debate and ensure that those atheists who are not familiar with the questions and answers hear them. Then they will not be fooled into taking seriously what really has no good reason to be taken seriously.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:58 AM

13,856 posts, read 13,761,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
She has shut her mind like a steel trap....From her NING page...
You need to be a member of Christian Evangelism and Apologetics to add comments! Holly Ordway's Page - Christian Evangelism and Apologetics (http://shareanddefend.ning.com/profile/HollyOrdway?xg_source=activity - broken link)

I don't believe she ever was an atheist
Perhaps not, but I'm wondering how this is different than those "So and so apostate was never a Christian, anyone who was ever Christian wouldn't talk like X."

My religion aside I could certainly believe such a story because I've seen people who, when they're young, are maybe kind of self-absorbed or don't think deeply about anything. (Yes even among highly educated people. She may have just been paying attention to getting the grade than actually learning anything) So in the right environment I could see a person just not thinking much about Christians and having goofy assumptions about them. It would certainly fit other kinds of switching I've seen.

You'll see ex-Catholics say "I was forbidden to read the Bible and had to worship Mary as a Goddess." That that's nonsense doesn't mean they're necessarily lying about having been raised Catholics. (Although in some cases people who say that are lying) They maybe just didn't pay much attention as a kid or were raised by really stupid parents or when they became Evangelical they let their new faith determine their view of their old faith. So if the Christian board had some ex-Catholic saying even really outlandish things like that I would say they may be telling the truth about having been Catholic once even if one their saying is not a part of the faith. Or ex-Muslims will sometimes claim all kinds of horrors about their family even if their family turn out to be a moderate and peaceful group without any evidence of extremism in their backgrounds. I think it's called "apostate testimony" in cult studies. (Not saying Protestantism or Islam or Catholicism are cults as I'm Catholic) Sometimes it's reliable and sometimes it's not. Although it's not the same dynamic I'm not sure why a person couldn't abandon atheism and then also say misleading or inaccurate statements about it in order to either please their new community/friends or because what it meant for them was not what it meant for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism