Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I just don't think it's that big of a deal. I'm agnostic, but the world just isn't always fair. So what if you have to say the word "God." It's not going to kill you, sheesh. Our beliefs are dictated by our minds, not dictated by what we say. Just because you say God doesn't mean you believe or have to believe in God. If I was in another country and had to say something like that, like "so help me Allah," I wouldn't care one bit. I mean, who cares? I guess certain people are just bothered more by these things than otehrs.
It wasn't that big of a deal to make black people sit at the back of the bus, enter by a different door, or drink at a different water fountain, either. So what if that made them feel annoyed or brushed aside? Why bother to change it? It wasn't a big deal.

It wasn't a big deal when women couldn't vote. So what? They should be happy to be second-class citizens, and not worry their little heads with serious things like politics. It just wasn't that big of a deal.

It isn't a big deal when gays want equal rights to straight people. After all, it's not like they have it hard, not being able to marry the one they love. What's the problem? It's not going to kill them, sheesh.

I could go on and on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times
I think it's a 'big deal' that in an oath administered to the public by the state, it is assumed that we all believe in a god (presumably the Judaeo-Christian one) and are willing to swear to tell the truth upon its name. That violates the separation of church and state and makes an implicit assumption that I don't like.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It wasn't that big of a deal to make black people sit at the back of the bus, enter by a different door, or drink at a different water fountain, either. So what if that made them feel annoyed or brushed aside? Why bother to change it? It wasn't a big deal.

It wasn't a big deal when women couldn't vote. So what? They should be happy to be second-class citizens, and not worry their little heads with serious things like politics. It just wasn't that big of a deal.

It isn't a big deal when gays want equal rights to straight people. After all, it's not like they have it hard, not being able to marry the one they love. What's the problem? It's not going to kill them, sheesh.

I could go on and on...
The same "don't make waves" crowd today, are the same mindset that objected to the lunch counter sit in's, woman's suffrage marches, and the current efforts by gays to obtain the same rights as others. It's just so damn inconvenient for those with the rights and they somehow feel entitled to whine like the stupid bigots they really are.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:42 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Just go with the flow and stop causing problems. It is what it is.

I'll wager someone said that to Rosa Parks when she was on that bus..

Old 08-18-2010, 01:43 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
Quote:

I could go on and on...
I'm not saying you dont have a point. I'm just saying that I, personally wouldn't be bothered by it. It's just verbage coming out of the mouth. You can't compare this to racial or sexual equality issues. I'm gay myself and I think the U.S. is making good progress with gay rights, especially here in Connecticut where gay marriage is legal.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying you dont have a point. I'm just saying that I, personally wouldn't be bothered by it. It's just verbage coming out of the mouth. You can't compare this to racial or sexual equality issues. I'm gay myself and I think the U.S. is making good progress with gay rights, especially here in Connecticut where gay marriage is legal.
And if all the gay people had remained silent? Clue! The rights you have obtained in recent years did not happen because of silence

When every anyone disagrees with the status quo, and they remain silent, their silence is viewed only as affirmation of the status quo.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:33 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times
Quote:
You can't compare this to racial or sexual equality issues.
So, any discrimination of a religious nature can't be compared to racial or sexual discrimination?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
So, any discrimination of a religious nature can't be compared to racial or sexual discrimination?
If you look at the true impetus behind religious, racial, sexual preference, and even gender discrimination, they were/are all incubated in religion. In fact if you fine one, you will likely find all of the above on their list of things to hate.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:21 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,435 times
Quote:
I just don't think it's that big of a deal. I'm agnostic, but the world just isn't always fair. So what if you have to say the word "God." It's not going to kill you, sheesh. Our beliefs are dictated by our minds, not dictated by what we say. Just because you say God doesn't mean you believe or have to believe in God. If I was in another country and had to say something like that, like "so help me Allah," I wouldn't care one bit. I mean, who cares? I guess certain people are just bothered more by these things than otehrs.
I wouldnt say its a bother, but this is America last time I checked. If folks have strong convictions they should follow them, they have a right to. My convictions compel me to take oaths without any reference to god.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:17 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
Quote:
It matters BECAUSE it isn't real. It's a blatant insinuation that the only way I'll tell the truth is through the threat of a higher power punishing me if I lie, which is bullshiat.

I'm so freaking honest that it insults me to make me swear by something I think is a lie. Ain't that a biatch? It's the atheist that has problems with lying! I can't even stretch the truth a little in order to get out of jury duty, when I didn't want to be there in the first place!
It seems to me hatred of the word "god" bordering on militancy is just as extremist (but in the other direction) as demanding Jesus stuff be taught in school/government, and that kids be taught "intelligent" design with evolution. It's as they say: "moderation in all things" is the best path... Getting on your knees and shouting to "god" is silly, but so is flipping a gourd because they made you say "so help me god" in a court.

Mercury Cougar, if you are truly honest to a fault you must admit a couple of things. First, the word "god" can't even be defined in certain terms..."god" could mean anything from a Jackal headed lord of the dead and a 6-armed giant elephant to an all ecompassing force that permiates the universe. God could be considered to micromanage the universe or be an absentee build and go bye-bye sort of guy. "God" could mean almost anything beyond normal human experience and perspective, and by no means is restricted to what was taught in Sunday School.

Nor can we truly prove "god" doesn't exist. No mater how unlikely it's existence, we can't honestly disprove it's existence unless we've investigated every piece of every dimension of the universe and beyond and failed to find him/her/it or anything matching all the millions of descriptions given for the word "god". In a potentially infinite universe, we even have to allow for the possiblity there is even a planet inhabited by supernatural flying spagetti men and yes, jealous and vindictive Abrahamic gods.

We just can't see far enough to assert with absolute accuracy that there is no "god", nor can we even say what "god" is supposed to be. So, the only honest answer to the "Is there a god?" question is: There is no evidence for one at the moment but we just don't know.

Therefore it is not wrong or inaccuate to use the word "god" in language as a symbolic gesture of humility (meaning we recognize we are not the center of the universe and don't know everything). It is not the same as bowing to the real human religious institutions that claim to represent "god".

If you ask me, it would seem you've been screwed over by some religious institution and directly translate and relate your understanding of the word "god" from that experience. I feel for you, but your definition of the word "god" is lacking in perspective and causing you unecessary heartache.

In other words, Hate the institution that wronged you, not a excessively broad and undefinable concept. Let it go...

Last edited by Chango; 08-25-2010 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism