U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2010, 07:42 PM

651 posts, read 729,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
The scale can be much more simple then that. Either you are a theist, or not a theist (atheist).
It can be simplified if you leave out the question of knowledge which speaks to how certain a person is of their theism/atheism. But, my main question is whether atheism would be considered a belief by definition. I explained the rest to show my thought process.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,805,565 times
is atheism an "unorganized" religion? NO!! Since one of the requirements of a religion is to believe in some sort of a god, and.....since Atheism does not believe in any of the gods, or, phrased differently, disbelieves in all of the gods equally, then,..... it is not a religion. Since Atheists' have no god to either worship or ignore, and has no rites to govern the worship or ignoring of said non-existent god, it is not religious, nor is it a religion.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:38 PM

308 posts, read 225,881 times
http://www.ugo.com/images/galleries/dreamwrestlers_games/dusty-rhodes.jpg (broken link)

Had to do it. Who doesn't love Big Dust?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,141,448 times
I don't. Thanks for the wrench tossed into the works, though.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:29 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,280,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
It can be simplified if you leave out the question of knowledge which speaks to how certain a person is of their theism/atheism. But, my main question is whether atheism would be considered a belief by definition. I explained the rest to show my thought process.
You can not claim knowledge where there is nothing to know. That's why the god belief is a faith base belief. It doesn't matter how certain you are, you are either a theist or not a - theist

Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 AM

651 posts, read 729,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
You can not claim knowledge where there is nothing to know. That's why the god belief is a faith base belief. It doesn't matter how certain you are, you are either a theist or not a - theist
hmmmm, you make a good point. So, you are saying that there is no such thing as a gnostic theist or gnostic atheist. In essence, we are all agnostics in terms of knowledge as there is no credible evidence to support the god claim.

Ya' know, sometimes I make things too complicated. I suspected there was an obvious flaw in my reasoning but just could seem to pinpoint it. You've made it so simple and I'm embarrassed that I missed it! Thank you for clarifying!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:27 AM

4,706 posts, read 3,593,627 times
Let all the people raise their hands who were born WITH a belief in god...any god!

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 AM

4,643 posts, read 3,307,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You are unable to realize that I am NOT arguing atheism is religion. Obviously it isn't.

A belief system (damn I'm getting tired of those 2 words) on the other hand is a philosophy, a way of understanding all that is and one's place in it. An organized group (or groups) with similar beliefs and a clearly defined agenda to spread said beliefs is certainly more than simple "lack of belief".
You continue to confuse a political organization with the word "atheist" in its name with atheism as a lack of belief in gods. Do Christian Scientists define the belief system for all Christians worldwide just because the word Christian appears in the name? If not, why would it be any different for a group that happens to be named Atheists United?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:29 AM

7,431 posts, read 3,405,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
what do you all think. atheists believe in nothing, but nothing is still something. atheists believe they know for a fact, what no person could possibly know. they claim to know the unknown. I'm more of an agnostic, in that I admit that I don't know the unknown. atheism to me is an unorganized religion. it's a group of people believing they can predict the unknown.
First, by your question and the manner in which it is stated, I doubt that you are truly an agnostic.

Second, again by your question, you attempt to pigeon hole atheists in a religious category. Your understanding of atheisms is obviously lacking.

You seem to be displaying yourself as one who cannot conceive that anyone could possibly have zero religion.

What a shame.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:36 PM

704 posts, read 549,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
what do you all think. atheists believe in nothing, but nothing is still something. atheists believe they know for a fact, what no person could possibly know. they claim to know the unknown. I'm more of an agnostic, in that I admit that I don't know the unknown. atheism to me is an unorganized religion. it's a group of people believing they can predict the unknown.
Couldn't disagree with you more. Atheism means no religion, so it couldn't possibly be a form or denomination of religion. It's just a belief, a choice, a point of view, no different from my not wanting to eat fried foods or drink alcoholic beverages. Everyoen else is certainyl free to eat what they want, go where they want or believe what they want. The religulous folks see atheism as some sort of movement which they also perceive as a threat to them. What the real threat to them is the non-religulous folks that are pushing back against the religious movement, which is more of a legal issue that an atheism issue. In my opinion anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism