Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Around here near the buckle of the Moderator cut: orphaned belt, they often tell you (without being asked ) their religion, as to them it ain't enough to believe in god, but you must believe in 'their' god, else it's lakes of fire and other unpleasantness for you.
When my husband and I go down south to visit his friends and relatives - Jesus and God are constantly brought up in conversation. But I'm a performer who lives in New York - most of my peers are not very religious.

However, I have been told countless times on this forum that I'm going to rot in Hell! Oh well. I'm the happy hellbound Heatherist!

Last edited by june 7th; 09-11-2010 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
When my husband and I go down south to visit his friends and relatives - Jesus and God are constantly brought up in conversation. But I'm a performer who lives in New York - most of my peers are not very religious.

However, I have been told countless times on this forum that I'm going to rot in Hell! Oh well. I'm the happy hellbound Heatherist!
Life must be "Hell" for all those that say you are going to hell. What a stressfull life that must be.

I think they say that because of stress. If not they would debate with you the merits of their argument, instead of threatening you.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I think it comes under the heading of self-righteousness; in other words, "I'm better than you".

Old 09-07-2010, 12:16 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Funny how atheists tend to be nicer than theists

Yup!!!! That's us alright! Just a bunch of saints among men and women. Saint Dusty the first........somehow that just doesn't sound right.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:37 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Around here near the buckle of the Moderator cut: orphaned belt, they often tell you (without being asked ) their religion, as to them it ain't enough to believe in god, but you must believe in 'their' god, else it's lakes of fire and other unpleasantness for you.
Ain't that the truth.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-11-2010 at 11:13 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I am an atheist and I can be very sharp. I have little tolerance for stupid people and everyone who knows me most definitely sees that side of me. I am also an RN and I have to be nice to stupid people on a daily basis which is challenging I admit.

The moral of this story is I am what I am, it is my personality, not my atheism that drives me. I don't believe in gods, spirituality or the supernatural, that's all. It is not an all consuming part of me like many people who are believers. Atheism doesn't tell me how to think or how to act like religion does. I am a free agent so to speak.

I think it's just ridiculous that we think we have to be extra nice so religious people can't say "Oh those atheists are all nasty people". I personally don't give a hoot what anyone thinks of my lack of superstitious beliefs.
Ditto. Not a RN... but I'm in the bible belt, so yeah... I get the dealing with "stupid" part.

Bottom line is, either you (general 'you') like me or you don't like me. Most do though, and some even like me so much that they think I'll come around and give in to (their) religion.

Edited to add: My Husband works out in "the field" a lot around here in WNC using a company vehicle. Well, company vehicle = giving extra caution to speed limits, etc...

With that said, he always gets a good laugh, and has to call and share the hypocrisy of it the times he's passed on the road while said driver is giving him not one, but two middle fingers, yelling at him to go to hell, yada yada yada - just to see, once they pass him, the one or three jesus fish on the car, the "We Still Pray," "Don't Take Christ out of Christmas" and "Real Men Love Jesus" bumper stickers on the car. Now, that my friends, is a perfect example of living in the Bible Belt.

Last edited by angrycandy; 09-07-2010 at 10:55 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
With that said, he always gets a good laugh, and has to call and share the hypocrisy of it the times he's passed on the road while said driver is giving him not one, but two middle fingers, yelling at him to go to hell, yada yada yada - just to see, once they pass him, the one or three jesus fish on the car, the "We Still Pray," "Don't Take Christ out of Christmas" and "Real Men Love Jesus" bumper stickers on the car. Now, that my friends, is a perfect example of living in the Bible Belt.
Ah yes, the "we still pray" bumper stickers, spawned by outraged christians that were told not everyone wanted to pray at high school football games, and the practice must stop. You know, allowing others to practice the freedom of religion guaranteed in our Constitution, but blind to the fact that includes freedom from religion as well.

Anyway, shortly after they were printed up and I guess handed out, probably at houses of intolerance, I saw one on that was the same color and size, but read "We Still Prey". Never did find out where I could get one of those

Old 09-07-2010, 11:39 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I know, but I just think it's hypocritical how so many Christians are awful to others and completely intolerant.
It's also hypocritical for atheists to think they are tolerant when they are intolerant of anyone who disagrees with them. It's very rare to find an atheist who is tolerant of Christian's beliefs.

Jesus said the only way to the Father is through Him. Jesus is not tolerant. He reprimanded people constantly. Christians are told to love others, but being tolerant of other people's beliefs is completely contrary to Christ's teachings. Jesus made it clear we need to change (again intolerance ) and follow Him.

What makes someone nice? That seems highly subjective. Was Jesus "nice"? He was despised by many. He called people hypocrites and rebuked them. If the person a Christian is following (Jesus Christ) was hated why would people like His followers? Again, it really depends on what you mean by "nice".

Last edited by CantWait2Leave; 09-07-2010 at 11:55 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 11:54 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
It's also hypocritical for atheists to think they are tolerant when they are intolerant of anyone who disagrees with them. It's very rare to find an atheist who is tolerant of Christian's beliefs.

Jesus said the only way to the Father is through Him. Jesus is not tolerant. He reprimanded people constantly. Christians are told to love others, but being tolerant of other people's beliefs is completely contrary to Christ's teachings. Jesus made it clear we need to change (again intolerance ) and follow Him.
I'm very tolerant of Christians and their beliefs. They way I see it - people can believe whatever they want to. I may disagree with other's beliefs - but I still think they have a right to them.

So - are you saying that everyone else besides Christians should be tolerant - but that Christians have to be intolerant in order to be Christian? That doesn't sound very nice...

Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm very tolerant of Christians and their beliefs. They way I see it - people can believe whatever they want to. I may disagree with other's beliefs - but I still think they have a right to them.

So - are you saying that everyone else besides Christians should be tolerant - but that Christians have to be intolerant in order to be Christian? That doesn't sound very nice...
I live in L.A. and most people I know are atheists or agnostic. You are one of the very few I've encountered that genuinely is tolerant of everyone. Atheists love to talk about how tolerant they are, but in reality they are tolerant of people who agree with them. You are a rarity.

No, I don't care who is tolerant, but I think it's hypocritical for people to complain about Christians not being tolerant yet that same person isn't tolerant of Christians. Jesus is not tolerant so I have no problem with people telling me I'm not tolerant. If being tolerant is what it takes to be nice than I'm not nice. I don't think tolerance is what makes a person nice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism