Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank316 View Post
Wait, you mean to say that Science has proven that its possible through divine power to raise a dead being back to life and transport him to a mystical alternate dimension?

Because I thought that all conventional science actually precluded such a possibility. Silly me.

See? This is exactly what I'm talking about. Atheists are incapable of having a rational discussion without sarcasm and self-righteousness and imo, that's worse than Christians because Christians don't claim to be smarter than anyone else, but atheists do. And when I say "atheists", I mean the ones that have engaged in convo in the past three thread.

I'm not a fundamentalist, so your snarkiness has no affect on me, well, other than to make me do this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 06:35 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but my belief system corresponds with the discoveries science has made so there are no contradictions in what I believe.
Do you believe in a god, any of them, all of them?

Science has found nothing to suggest their existence, just like unicorns and leprechauns. Fables are not fact, not even close.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
See? This is exactly what I'm talking about. Atheists are incapable of having a rational discussion without sarcasm and self-righteousness and imo, that's worse than Christians because Christians don't claim to be smarter than anyone else, but atheists do. And when I say "atheists", I mean the ones that have engaged in convo in the past three thread.

I'm not a fundamentalist, so your snarkiness has no affect on me, well, other than to make me do this
I wasn't aware that I displayed self-righteousness and sarcasm. I don't claim to be smarter than everyone else. However, it would be easier to have a conversation with you if you didn't come on the Atheist/Agnostic forum and say that Atheists are incapable of having rational discussions etc. etc. Maybe you have a beef with a couple of people - and I know that you said that - but I don't think you would appreciate it if I said "Christians are incapable of having a rational discussion without sarcasm and self-righteousness and imo, that's worse than Atheists because Atheists don't claim to be smarter than anyone else, but Christians do." I certainly have had many discussions with Christians who were sarcastic, self-righteous, and claimed to be smarter than everyone else.
People are just people.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I wasn't aware that I displayed self-righteousness and sarcasm. I don't claim to be smarter than everyone else. However, it would be easier to have a conversation with you if you didn't come on the Atheist/Agnostic forum and say that Atheists are incapable of having rational discussions etc. etc. Maybe you have a beef with a couple of people - and I know that you said that - but I don't think you would appreciate it if I said "Christians are incapable of having a rational discussion without sarcasm and self-righteousness and imo, that's worse than Atheists because Atheists don't claim to be smarter than anyone else, but Christians do." I certainly have had many discussions with Christians who were sarcastic, self-righteous, and claimed to be smarter than everyone else.
People are just people.
I mean, I wouldn't blame you if you said that about Christians because some Christians display ALL of those characteristics. I would know you weren't talking about me, because I'm not like that, generally.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Do you believe in a god, any of them, all of them?

Science has found nothing to suggest their existence, just like unicorns and leprechauns. Fables are not fact, not even close.
I think "God" is a loaded word. Do I believe God is really old guy that lives in the sky or in some other dimension with a long white beard sitting on a cloud? no.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
I mean, I wouldn't blame you if you said that about Christians because some Christians display ALL of those characteristics. I would know you weren't talking about me, because I'm not like that, generally.
I guess the thing is that I know that ALL Christians aren't like that in the same way that ALL of any group don't have all the same characteristics. People are just people.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
I think "God" is a loaded word. Do I believe God is really old guy that lives in the sky or in some other dimension with a long white beard sitting on a cloud? no.
Nice evasive answer, but that wasn't my question, nor did I capitalize god, but asked "Do you believe in a god, any of them, all of them?" If the word "god" is a so loaded, how about deity?, upper case, lower case, singular, plural?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I've never been able to understand this concept. Why would someone want to dedicate their love and life to an entity that says they're unworthy?
Are you for real? Just look around. You don't see women hanging all over an alcoholic spouse abuser (oh, but she loves him)? You don't see men hanging all over the same kind of women (don't laugh but battered-husband syndrome is real though rarely reported)?

People's personal relationships are just FUBAR so why wouldn't they seek out a deity who will love them one second and then rain fire and brimstone on them the next?

Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Nice evasive answer, but that wasn't my question, nor did I capitalize god, but asked "Do you believe in a god, any of them, all of them?" If the word "god" is a so loaded, how about deity?, upper case, lower case, singular, plural?
Can I believe in one with an appostraphe? What about an exclaimation mark or a comma?

I believe in gOd!

How's that?

Old 10-04-2010, 12:31 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I've never been able to understand this concept. Why would someone want to dedicate their love and life to an entity that says they're unworthy?
Maybe they like having "Make Up" Prayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism