Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
You guys aren't taking this line of thinking far enough.

"Bad habits like prejudice, hate, greed, etc.," come from people who are narcissists who never grew up. You can be a grown adult and still, in some ways, have the selfish mentality of a 2 year old.

Christianity, and religions that encourage to look deeper into oneself help people to "grow up" and to see the bigger picture. Sure, some people try to exploit this and turn it around so it works for themselves in a selfish way, but they're only cheating themselves in the long run. And just because some people bastardize what's intrinsically a good thing, it doesn't mean the good thing itself is bad.
I agree. But wow, what a tool religion can be, especially Chritianity where, in the end, you say the magic words and everything will be fine.

I find it funny though, that as time goes on, things are starting to catch up with them. It's okay to be selfish and not like anyone, but when you get older you might have to rely on someone for help. I told my mother, in my teens, in a moment of sheer exhaustion, that she might some day need me. She laughed in my face and practically spit, "I'll be dead by then."

Well, she's not. And despite having money, great medical care and taking good care of herself, she is going blind, has no friends, very little family and me, her only child. But hey, she's got Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:29 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I agree. But wow, what a tool religion can be, especially Chritianity where, in the end, you say the magic words and everything will be fine.
That is not what Christianity teaches. If you really are interested in learning, Read James 2 in the NT.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That is not what Christianity teaches. If you really are interested in learning, Read James 2 in the NT.
Ah, I agree. Faith without works is dead! Oh, how she hates that passage. She ridicules the Roman Catholics with their food pantries and organizations that help people pay for food and utilities. Over the years, whenever I would mention doing something nice for someone she would pooh, pooh it. But Heidi, she would say, deeds will not get you into heaven. Like I should shun being kind to someone and like getting into heaven was my goal. And like I was a con artist for being nice to my neighbor, perhaps a criminal. sigh.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:09 AM

18,720 posts, read 33,380,506 times
A cynical (realistic?) friend, angry ex-Catholic gay guy, said that the priests and institutions *know* you can't follow the rules, that you'll break the rules, feel guilty, and come back on Sunday and give them more money.
I think there might be something to this.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:16 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Stuckinbalad, the thread isn't biased. I grew up in an ultra conservative christian home, attended a reformed christian school from 8th through twelfth grade, spent my adolescence in a reformed christian town and had to attend church for eighteen years. In all of those places I was taught that we are worthless and vile because god says we are. You may not agree with the concept, but it is a common belief among many christian circles. Read the above post and you'll see the verses that talk about how your god says we're worthless.
Exactly....this is the very reason why one allegedly needs a savior and why it is taught...there isn't a church or website I know of that teaches any different. You can't keep the sheeple in the fold if we have no need of a savior now can you?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinbalad View Post
None of these verses are quotes from God, they are people calling out in prayer to God saying "we are not worthy to be saved from our sins, and yet, despite that, you still save us from our sin"

To me, it is the exact opposite of what you are saying...
Wow....now I've seen it all. Don't most Christians consider scripture to be GOD'S INFALLIBLE AND INERRANT WORDS??????? So, I guess it's only God's words when it's convenient....but not God's words when it shows something you don't agree with....go figure.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Exactly. You can't be saved until you admit that you are nothing without god.

Classic Battered Wife Syndrome.

God creates the problem, blames us for causing the problem, then offers a "solution" to a problem he created in the first place. Brilliant.
Yeah...doesn't that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and make you feel like you can't wait to worship him.

The above is the EXACT REASON why I am no longer a Christian.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:28 PM

229 posts, read 332,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Exactly. You can't be saved until you admit that you are nothing without god.

Classic Battered Wife Syndrome.

God creates the problem, blames us for causing the problem, then offers a "solution" to a problem he created in the first place. Brilliant.
But the solution only works for a chosen select few, so it makes the problem even worse...many of us won't be able to get the solution even if we wanted to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Yeah...doesn't that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and make you feel like you can't wait to worship him.

The above is the EXACT REASON why I am no longer a Christian.
Add election/predestination into the mix, and one is faced with a total nightmare that masqueraded itself as "The Good News" which is anything but

Old 09-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
A cynical (realistic?) friend, angry ex-Catholic gay guy, said that the priests and institutions *know* you can't follow the rules, that you'll break the rules, feel guilty, and come back on Sunday and give them more money.
I think there might be something to this.
That is why religion is a racket. It is created by people with circular reasoning that always leads back to them being right. And it is based on a finger always pointing at you as the guilty party.

And when it all contradicts itself and you paint them into a corner you get: "You and I cannot comprehend the mysteries of God." You will never win and you are not suppose to. That's why they can't stand people that walk away saying, "What a pile of rubbish."

But money and the tax dodge is paramount. Tithing is another ridiculous presumption. I know people that will wrestle you for a nickle but give hundreds of thousands to their church. I also know of churches where I see no one attend. But the building sits there in good condition, year after year. Or it looks like only family members attend; churches with five members. If that isn't a tax scam I don't know what is.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:45 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I've never been able to understand this concept. Why would someone want to dedicate their love and life to an entity that says they're unworthy?
I don't know. I sure wouldn't. The God I believe in is the Father of my spirit and I'm His daughter. He thinks of me as a goddess-in-embryo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism