U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:51 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,604,093 times

Advertisements

To Kill a Mockingbird?!

Top 10 Banned Books | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 12:03 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,777,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
To Kill a Mockingbird?!

[URL="http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-banned-books.php"]Top 10 Banned Books | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net[/URL]
Yep. A lot of those books are also targets for fundamentalists and other kinds of "morality police."

If I were a college professor, I'd teach a literature class devoted to banned books.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:11 PM
B4U

3,563 posts, read 4,168,001 times
I'm BAD, BAD, BAD!!!, but not without hope. I've read all of them except "Candide".

I found all excellent reads, but especially, "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Old 09-19-2010, 10:36 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,471,497 times
Avienne, I would love to take that class!

I have started reading books that list the books that have been historically banned and why. I have compiled a list of those books (and authors) and started reading them. It's very fun and eye-opening.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:04 PM

13,856 posts, read 13,997,303 times
I think you might be misreading that article. It talks about how the Vatican had the first list of prohibited books (which isn't exactly true as Caesar Augustus I think had lists of a kind and Emperor Qin Shih Huangti had book burnings) then it goes on to list books that have been banned. The Color Purple was written after Vatican II and I think the Vatican stopped adding books to the list or had changed the nature of the list or something.

I've looked at the Index and I don't think "To Kill a Mockingbird" was ever on it. In its brief encapsulation the USCCB sounds positive on the film version.

http://www.usccb.org/movies/t/tokill...bird1962.shtml

Last edited by Thomas R.; 09-19-2010 at 11:12 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 11:42 PM

5,356 posts, read 3,470,385 times
My research indicates the Catholic church no longer keeps a list of banned books, although it does caution against reading some of them. Since at least 1966, the Index Librorum Prohibitorum is no longer ecclesiastical law.

Still, the list of forbidden books and authors is shocking.

Some Banned Authors:

Jean Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Voltaire, Denis Diderot, Victor Hugo, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, André Gide, Immanuel Kant, David Hume, René Descartes, Francis Bacon, John Milton, John Locke, Galileo Galilei, Blaise Pascal, Hugo Grotius, and Saint Faustina Kowalska.

Incredible that Catholics were prevented from reading these works.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:44 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,561,881 times
Just a lousy sex ad. At least these one's. Incredible that Catholics weren't prevented from reading these works.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 AM

13,856 posts, read 13,997,303 times
Catholics sometimes got around the rules. This is why there were several encyclicals about how you should take the Index seriously and not ignore it.

In some ways I hate to say this, but I think many then had the idea that most people are basically idiots who will believe in whatever they read. So you have to limit their exposure to things that encourage behaviors or ideas that go against the faith. It's a bit like the idea that if a person is exposed to violent video games, or Intelligent Design for that matter, they'll just take it in without any kind of critical evaluation so start shooting school kids or believing ID. Although it's a bit different because I believe they felt this was true of all people, not just kids.

There is a kind of justification for this. In less literate ages people were maybe more gullible or actually believed anything in print must be true. Also slander and libel laws were not well-established then or were non-existent. In addition there are people like me who have OCD tendencies and imagery in books or films can haunt us. There are certainly some films I wish I hadn't seen and I might go so far as to say there was one book that really upset me. Still I think they/we did realize it doesn't make sense to just assume people are like children or have anxiety disorders.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:08 AM

7,089 posts, read 8,492,346 times
Top-ten vatican-banned books

Ah Yes!!! The thought police keeping you safe from unsavory ideas!!!! Why......the next thing you know, they will be allowing women to vote!!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 AM

5,356 posts, read 3,470,385 times
The Catholic Church may have some proud achievements, but this certainly isn't one of them.

It's hard to imagine how someone with a Catholic education in the 1960's could be considered literate.
BANNED:
Jean Paul Sartre,
Simone de Beauvoir,
Voltaire,
Denis Diderot,
Victor Hugo,
Jean-Jacques Rousseau,
André Gide,
Immanuel Kant,
David Hume,
René Descartes,
Francis Bacon,
John Milton,
John Locke,
Galileo Galilei,
Blaise Pascal,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism