Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 05:50 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times

Advertisements

100% thought I guessed the last one. Very basic questions..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 06:03 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Job is old testament, not new, so that was not a Christian question.
Of course it is. They don't rip the OT out and throw it away.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Huh?

Of course it is. They don't rip the OT out and throw it away.
That was my first reaction, but thinking it over it's not uniquely Christian, which I think was the point.

15/15, but I had to guess on the last one sort of - could never keep the those crazy Calvinists straight in my head which might actually be a good thing.

Sad that 1/2 of the people messed up the 10 commandments question. I'd love to see the breakdown of people who go to church faithfully on questions outside their own faith.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:58 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Well, point being - I didn't get the Job question right! But like I said, I'm surprised I did as well as I did. Although I took some comparative religions in highschool and college - I'm more interested in the basic beliefs of the different religions and the followers themselves rather than the specifics. Also, I seem to be more drawn to the Eastern religions than the Western ones.
Oh - I have shabbat dinner with my friends quite often - so I knew the Sabbath started on Friday!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
I scored an 80% and I'm an atheist.
I could have gotten a 100% had I not second guessed myself. I am so bad at that.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
A similar thread is also going on the the "c" thread. This old back woods heathen Atheists busted it with a 100%, though I will admit the James Smith was a total WAG.

Said it there, so I'll say it here, I suspect that Atheists, Agnostics score better because we are open minded, we do pay attention to the world, vs. fantasizing about things that don't exist, and the rapture or second coming or what ever it is they waste their time day dreaming about.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:58 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
The 15 questions seemed easy, but I think I read the full test had 30 questions maybe the 2nd half was harder. I got all the questions right and think the reason most Atheist do well is because we continually research religions searching for more flaws.
I did question if Edwards and Graham weren’t both involved in Great Awakenings, but I was sure Edwards was, and not sure if Graham did not come too late for the post WWII Awakening. I would like to see the other 15 questions.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:31 AM

59 posts, read 126,851 times
This quote stood out to me because of its truthfulness.

Quote:
"I think that what happens for many Christians is, they accept their particular faith, they accept it to be true and they stop examining it. Consequently, because it's already accepted to be true, they don't examine other people's faiths. … That, I think, is not healthy for a person of any faith," he said.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
100%, I think a lot of us who study religion become non believers eventually. It's like shopping, if you do it enough you soon figure out that no one has the lowest prices, it's just advertisement. lol

I also agree with Interstate, that post makes a lot of sense.

I also think it would be hard to stay true to one religion with the vast amount of knowledge available through mass communication now a day. Hard to ignore it all and stay focused on what you believe. There are so many options, almost to many. The pressure must be great............

Old 10-01-2010, 04:09 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
I found an article by Jamelle Bouie and his view why Atheist and other minority groups did so well on the Pew religious survey. He saw it as a matter of survival, and for me after reading other views (Ilya Somin) which broke the study into religious segments I think Bouie’s views are accurate. When religions are broken down by religions Atheist had over 70% of the questions correct on issues dealing with Islam ad did Jews. Christians and Mormons showed 45% answered correct. Knowledge of the area where dangers exist seems to be the catalyst to learn more about the opposing faith. In the case of Atheist they learn about all religions because they see them all as a dangerous; for Jews it is Islam because they see it as a threat to their existence, for Islam it is Christianity due to the bloody past. It boils down to survival and knowing those who would harm you for not accepting their myth.

Why Do Atheists Know More About Religion? Ctd

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/09/why-do-atheists-know-more-about-religion-ctd.html

30 Sep 2010 04:02 pm
Jamelle Bouie argued atheists, Mormons, and Jews know more about religion than Christians because as "a matter of simple survival, minorities tend to know more about the dominant group than vice versa."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism