Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The atheist/agnoistic identifications are often fused and the distinction between them overlooked. What I think happens is that people who are pro religion tend to treat agnostic as an admission of the general legitimacy of religious belief, i.e., "You are saying that the chances of there being or not being a god are equal." That isn't a fair characterization and it drives the agnostic to become more forceful in the argument, radiating the aura of the atheist.
Most self-described agnostics are atheists. You either believe in a deity or you don't. If you don't, you're atheist whether or not you think it's possible there is one. Also, almost no atheists would say there definitely isn't a god. We would just say your reasons for believing in one are ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Most self-described agnostics are atheists. You either believe in a deity or you don't. If you don't, you're atheist whether or not you think it's possible there is one. Also, almost no atheists would say there definitely isn't a god. We would just say your reasons for believing in one are ridiculous.
You have provided your definitions, but there is an absence of general agreement that those are the proper definitions. You would have "I don't believe in god" be indistinguishable from "There is no possibility of a god." If that were the case, there would be no need for the concept of agnosticism.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:05 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
I don't know if I have a favourite famous atheist but I do like Sam Harris, Derren Brown and Carl Sagan a lot.

My least favourite atheists are people like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Bill Maher. They come off as angry and arrogant, I don't like their style at all.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:04 AM

283 posts, read 508,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
For me, it's a tie betwen Dan Barker and Christopher Hitchens. I love Christopher's accent and answers, and I love Dan Barker's logic and answers to the most difficult questions. I have spent hours watching debates on YouTube. They are both excellent debaters IMO. They make Dinesh D'Souza look stupid! Who is your favorite atheist?

It's Hutchins, not Hitchens. And are you aware he died last year?

I liked him too. Along with Richard Dawkins. Oh, and George Carlin too!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
It's Hutchins, not Hitchens. And are you aware he died last year?
?????

Christopher Hitchens not Hutchins. Where did you get Hutchins? I saw him speak at the Texas Freethought Convention.

Hitchens '11: Texas Freethought - YouTube

Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You have provided your definitions, but there is an absence of general agreement that those are the proper definitions. You would have "I don't believe in god" be indistinguishable from "There is no possibility of a god." If that were the case, there would be no need for the concept of agnosticism.
I provided the definitions used in the atheist community. Also, those are distinguishable as an agnostic atheist versus a gnostic atheist, although there is very little need to distinguish the two. The latter barely exists and has no practical difference from the former. The religious have no more in common with someone who believes there probably isn't a god and there is no reason to believe in one than with someone who actively believes there isn't one even though, as was said earlier, they seem to want to think the former somehow justifies that their belief is reasonable.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:21 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,701 times
Christopher "Hutchins" must be the brother of the dead INXS singer.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Stephen Fry.

God Is Everywhere - YouTube

and Ricky Gervais.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I don't know if I have a favourite famous atheist but I do like Sam Harris, Derren Brown and Carl Sagan a lot.

My least favourite atheists are people like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Bill Maher. They come off as angry and arrogant, I don't like their style at all.
^ I forgot to mention David Attenborough, like him as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism