U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:10 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,601,141 times

Advertisements

Wandering around the internet following some links about abiogenesis, I came across a reference to the Murchison meteorites.

Murchison meteorite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently they were rich in organic compounds, and testing showed that it wasn't from earthly contamination. Now admittedly I hadn't heard of these meteorites before, not sure why, it's something that would pique my interest if I saw a news blurb about it. Anyway, I found it interesting and figured I'd share, since bits and pieces like this could eventually help to solidify abiogenesis theory. Comments and thoughts from those here more versed in this kind of science than I am?

Creationists: this isn't a discussion of creation versus abiogenesis, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 11:25 AM

10,017 posts, read 17,204,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Wandering around the internet following some links about abiogenesis, I came across a reference to the Murchison meteorites.

Murchison meteorite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently they were rich in organic compounds, and testing showed that it wasn't from earthly contamination. Now admittedly I hadn't heard of these meteorites before, not sure why, it's something that would pique my interest if I saw a news blurb about it. Anyway, I found it interesting and figured I'd share, since bits and pieces like this could eventually help to solidify abiogenesis theory. Comments and thoughts from those here more versed in this kind of science than I am?

Creationists: this isn't a discussion of creation versus abiogenesis, thanks.
I had heard or read cant remember that they believed meteors were how life actually began on earth, that they brought compounds here from "space" so maybe Urban Charlotte is right and we are aliens!!
I love science, but this one is beyond my realm, maybe someone with more info can chime in.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I love science, but this one is beyond my realm, maybe someone with more info can chime in.
Yeah, me too.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 22,343,007 times
I agree with you both. It could be the meteors. Abiogenesis could also have come about near volcanic vents under the oceans. An interesting topic for sure.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I agree with you both. It could be the meteors. Abiogenesis could also have come about near volcanic vents under the oceans. An interesting topic for sure.
Yeah, there are some freaky organisms down there for sure.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:07 PM

31,675 posts, read 32,485,622 times
I hear the sound of creationism fading away...

A new analysis of an ancient meteorite that fell to Earth in 1969 reveals millions of complex compounds, underscoring the richness of our galaxy’s primordial soup.

Researchers found hundreds of molecules in the carbon-rich rock, including amino acids produced in the famous Miller-Urey experiments, thought to simulate the conditions that spawned life. But those scientists were limited by their era’s relatively rough methods, and tended to look for what they expected to find.

In a study published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers turned the latest chemical analysis tools to a piece of the Murchison meteorite. Using techniques that measure mass down to a single electron, they found more than 14,000 different molecules.

Read More New Chemical Diversity Discovered in Old Meteorite | Wired Science | Wired.com

Old 10-23-2010, 06:54 AM

42,569 posts, read 12,129,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I hear the sound of creationism fading away...

A new analysis of an ancient meteorite that fell to Earth in 1969 reveals millions of complex compounds, underscoring the richness of our galaxy’s primordial soup.

Researchers found hundreds of molecules in the carbon-rich rock, including amino acids produced in the famous Miller-Urey experiments, thought to simulate the conditions that spawned life. But those scientists were limited by their era’s relatively rough methods, and tended to look for what they expected to find.

In a study published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers turned the latest chemical analysis tools to a piece of the Murchison meteorite. Using techniques that measure mass down to a single electron, they found more than 14,000 different molecules.

Read More New Chemical Diversity Discovered in Old Meteorite | Wired Science | Wired.com
Like to know more. Given that the mothods have been improved what do the new tests show? That there are plenty of molecules but nothing to indicate that organic matter might have been brought here? Come to think of it, if organic building bocks are found in meteorites then it must be pretty widely distributed in the solar system yes? In which case it could have got started from our own terretrial material without having to wait for a meteor strike.

The undersea vents is another good suggestion. There are plenty of possibilities. Including Alien visitors and Goddunnit.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Like to know more. Given that the mothods have been improved what do the new tests show? That there are plenty of molecules but nothing to indicate that organic matter might have been brought here? Come to think of it, if organic building bocks are found in meteorites then it must be pretty widely distributed in the solar system yes? In which case it could have got started from our own terretrial material without having to wait for a meteor strike.

The undersea vents is another good suggestion. There are plenty of possibilities. Including Alien visitors and Goddunnit.
Well, something that was mentioned about the meteorite compounds is that they were checked for presence of chirality, and due to the percentages that were detected, they couldn't be terran contamination.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:27 AM

9,618 posts, read 11,564,509 times
The Creationists will still bring up that this is only proof that "God is everywhere!". As well, it does not solve the abiogenesis issue; only stalls it, indicating that life started elsewhere before here. That's more than possible, though would it have started as a DNA based system?

If a bio-engineer were to design, from scratch, some optimum life system which allowed for constant adaptation, they would have to design an adaptable molecule that could suffer occasional mutations or build-errors, then reliably remember the changes, and allow for tryouts in real time, real life.

The DNA/RNA system accomplishes exactly that. Actually, RNA preceded DNA, logically. So now, if we can show the chance formation of some primitive RNA system out of a fortuitous primal solution, perhaps not with three, but only, say, two, base pairs (very limiting, BTW), then we're there.

And, I do believe, those persistent Brit bio-scientists @ Cambridge have done just this. The realist world is awaiting their research publication, which will cause such dismay and a mass media furor with associated vast scrambling by the church and dedicated fundies world-wide to discredit it, which will of course prove impossible. So then the "Well, God did it anyhow!" argument will follow on. Quite predictable, actually.

Because, frankly, when that one's proven and then successfully, irrefutably re-proven, eventually there will be an "Abiogenesis" teaching module in every high school classroom, and kids will be creating reproducing RNA- and/or DNA-based life in test tubes, and then eventually one of those little experiments will sustain some chance error-driven Evolution and then, it's "Look out Momma!!".

It'll be all over 'cept for the singing. Listen: I think I can hear the angel's tunes now!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
The Creationists will still bring up that this is only proof that "God is everywhere!". As well, it does not solve the abiogenesis issue; only stalls it, indicating that life started elsewhere before here. That's more than possible, though would it have started as a DNA based system?
I admit that while I'm miles ahead of someone like C34 in my scientific knowledge, I'm woefully ignorant about the actual nuts and bolts of some topics. I see what you're saying about abiogenesis having to start somewhere...but couldn't that somewhere have actually been during the big bang rather than at some point after it? Bang makes all these compounds, some of them catch a ride in meteors and comets, etc...end up eventually seeding the universe with the building blocks.

God I hope that doesn't sound too ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or