U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:05 AM

103 posts, read 188,918 times

Advertisements

The common Idea that people take about Agnostics is negative, they think we do not anything about anything and we don't take a specific decision about many of all the non-material things.
But to be honest I feel most agnostics of whom I talk to are Apathetic Agnostics, I've felt this also during my search from movies or documentaries about Agnosticism on the Internet, while you can find fortune of documentaries about Atheism, and many Authors, philosophers and scientists who apologists of their Idea, even they describe it as a Dogma like Richard Dawkins, but in the contrary you hardly find someone speaks about Agnosticism.
People used to classify the Agnostics as Atheists or probably will be Atheists.
Virtually I consider myself Agnostic with strong feeling that there is no God, and I consider this a common point between me and Atheists but otherwise I disagree with them in many things like their views about the Soul or their insistence that God must be consider a scientific issue, or the impact of meditation on the soul... etc.
It's really annoying me when I talk to Atheist and when he knows that I'm Agnostic, he says yes, but you will be an Atheist, but I'm quite sure that I will never be an Atheist.

After a long talk with my friend about Agnosticism and Religions, it was a while of silence, so my friend asked me, "is there something annoying you?" my Answer was "I don't know I'm agnostic".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 AM

13,143 posts, read 19,212,032 times
Yea, I'm in the same place because "I don't know with certainty" it is the only point of view I can agree with and still be honest with myself.

To me, "Atheist" means means taking the assertion that no god exists, and it is impossible (however unlikely) to prove the non-existence of a deity somewhere in all that is, nor even define what the world "god" specifically means or where "all that is" begins or ends.

We still lack the necessary perspective to come to conclusions.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:41 PM

705 posts, read 944,278 times
I'm a radical atheist. I don't see where there is any need whatsoever to prove god exists. What most people think any god is, is certainly a virtual impossibliity. A being that created the universe, sees everything we do, knows everything we do, can answer our prayers with some kind of cause and action, etc. Nonsense, total nonsense.

A god exists in peoples' minds because they need to fill some void, they need reassurance of some kind. Atheists and agnostics and the religulous types get too hung up on this I can prove it, you cant prove or disprove it, and so on.

There simply is no existence of any god anywhere other than in peoples' minds. If it works for them, great, I'm glad for them. But, I am concerned that grown adults believe in such nonsense. I am equally concenred that these same grown adults that believe in this nonsense make crucial decisions that afffect us all, from politicians to military to public safety personnel.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:52 PM

3,269 posts, read 5,790,876 times
How many times must I correct posters on these improper definitions? Do I need to create a thread on this?

1) ALL AGNOSTICS ARE ATHEISTS but:

2) NOT ALL ATHEISTS ARE AGNOSTICS

---

Here's what happened: (Get ready for a short etymology lesson)

The word AGNOSTIC was not coined until the mid 19th century. Before AGNOSTIC was a term, everyone who was unsure of God or lacked a theistic belief was called an ATHEIST.

The word ATHEISM simply means: "without theism" - Literally. That's all it means, folks! It doesn't necessarily mean that every atheist is saying, "Yo, there's no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that there's a God."

In our colloquial dictionary, you'll find two definitions:

–noun
1. the doctrine or belief that there is no god.
2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

And as you will learn, either one MAY apply dependent on the TYPE of atheist someone is.

The reason that AGNOSTIC became an oft-used term to describe SOME ATHEISTS is because of the problem of differentiating a WEAK ATHEIST from a STRONG ATHEIST.

WEAK Atheist: One who doesn't say one way or another if there is a God or not (essentially, an AGNOSTIC)

STRONG Atheist: This is similar to the previous, "radical" atheist who believes there is no way there's a God.

Has anyone ever seen a Venn diagram? If you were to draw two circles and label them AGNOSTIC and ATHEIST, you would place a WEAK Atheist in the middle of the two terms as they are overlapping. You would then place a STRONG Atheist on the extreme right side simply under Atheist, because he is clearly not also an AGNOSTIC.

Does this make sense?

---

OP, I'm just like you. I am an ATHEIST who has no idea if there is a God or not but is without a theistic belief. I happen to be in both categories.... and so are you.

Please learn the meaning of the terms you're throwing about - it does nothing but discredits people who have come before you.

And all of the terms have negative connotations because we live in a theistic society.

Agnostic - tends to be labeled as apathetic or too stupid to decide

Atheist - evil, hard-lined radical who tells everyone there is no God

Weak Atheist - just like an agnostic, too weak and feable minded to make up his mind.

---

Side note: OP, not all Atheists are scientifically minded, or in the same vein as Dawkins, etc. An atheist is simply anyone without a theistic belief, so be careful about throwing out generalizations as you did regarding who or what an 'atheist' is all about.

I hope that helped someone.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:03 PM

180 posts, read 189,059 times
I would consider myself athiest(without god) , because I dont believe in god at all.

Now , as far as agnosticism goes , I do not know why it gets a bad reputation. Most people came to that conclusion through critical thinking and arnt lazy people that just dont feel like forming an opinion or fighting for a belief.

And all of this is assuming that we should have a label on our beliefs , everyone's is different. Especially in the agnostic atheism catagory. We form our own opinions and its hard create a box to put us in , we are too diverse. Im sure most of us agree on religion , but as far as everything else goes , it would probably be a coin toss.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:25 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,565,532 times
When I tell people that I know there is a 'higher power' and I have NO faith in what the bible depicts as 'god', I'm am labeled 'Agnostic'. I just say OK. I can't PROVE what I 'know' any more than anyone else. I don't push my belief on anyone, and I expect the same in return.

I just say, do the best by people that you can and defend yourself when needed. If there were, IMO, more respect on a whole, and stop trying to get others to believe what can't be proved, we'd be a lot better off.

Label me what you wish. It doesn't change a thing.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,994,349 times
If you don't believe in a god, you're an atheist. It isn't necessary to be certain that there is no god. Few atheists make that assertion, since it is as unprovable as the the assertion that there is. I agree with Richard Dawkins who stated that the likelihood of there being a god is so small that it is at the vanishing point (e.g., infinitesimal).

Old 11-03-2010, 02:59 PM

4,145 posts, read 5,111,529 times
Many agnostics are people whom don't want to admit they're atheists. There are two positions within atheism:

1. Agnostic atheism: The belief that that there are no gods but there is still a chance that they do exist. This isn't a form of agnosticism.

2. Gnostic atheism: the belief that one knows there is no god.

Most atheists hold the first position. You seem to also fit the first position which classifies you as an atheist. Mind you atheist doesn't equal scientific naturalists, although many atheists are naturalists/materialist. There's an atheist on this board whom believes little spacemen created the universe. I also don't see why you shouldn't make god a scientific issue. All that does is exempt the claim from reason and evidence.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:27 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,978,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Many agnostics are people whom don't want to admit they're atheists. There are two positions within atheism:

1. Agnostic atheism: The belief that that there are no gods but there is still a chance that they do exist. This isn't a form of agnosticism.

2. Gnostic atheism: the belief that one knows there is no god.

Most atheists hold the first position. You seem to also fit the first position which classifies you as an atheist. Mind you atheist doesn't equal scientific naturalists, although many atheists are naturalists/materialist. There's an atheist on this board whom believes little spacemen created the universe. I also don't see why you shouldn't make god a scientific issue. All that does is exempt the claim from reason and evidence.
Are there statistics to support #1 is more common than #2? I'm a full blown 2, and personally find the belief that there is or maybe a god to be a ludicrous position. Is #1 an escape clause, just in case? Sounds like the fear of a vengful god still has a tight grip.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:57 PM

4,145 posts, read 5,111,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Are there statistics to support #1 is more common than #2? I'm a full blown 2, and personally find the belief that there is or maybe a god to be a ludicrous position. Is #1 an escape clause, just in case? Sounds like the fear of a vengful god still has a tight grip.
I wouldn't really call it fear. I'd be very close to position number 2 since the chance of there being god is so infintismally small it's almost completely vanishing, although knowing(in the sense of absolute certainty) is illogical since there's always a slight possibility that something may exist. Mind you we can be most certain that there is no god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism