U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:57 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,621,863 times

Advertisements

I found this while serching for religious stats. Thought it might make a good topic to discuss.

http://www.commandtheraven.com/?p=4606

Atheist and religious skeptic student groups are on the rise across the country’s high school and college campuses.
The Secular Student Alliance added its 160th affiliate campus group last week and reports that demand for their group starting packets are high.
“It’s been a challenge to keep up with the demand for services, especially group-starting packets and follow-up,” said Lyz Liddell, senior campus organizer, in a statement earlier this month. “That’s a nice problem to have.”
The number of SSA campus affiliate groups has increased from 100 in 2008 to 160 this year. In 2007, the alliance counted only 80.
Kirk Wilcox, president of the Non-Religious, Atheist, Free Thinker and Agnostic Alliance, told Central Michigan University’s student newspaper Central Michigan Life that he’s not surprised.
“Over the years, it’s become more acceptable – people should be proud of who they are,” he said. “If you want to be a Christian and go to church, that’s fine, but there should be institutions for people who aren’t religious.”
More Americans are claiming no religion and many have taken on more outspoken and public campaigns. According to the 2008 American Religious Identification Survey, 15 percent of Americans are part of the non-religious population, or “nones,” up from 8.2 percent in 1990.
SSA, meanwhile, provides a social network for students who are seeking an alternative to campus religious ministries, the alliance says.
- From Prophecy News Watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 06:12 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,083,631 times
Its about time...I know the develoment of the internet I believe has freed the way for atheism to become perfectly acceptable in the future.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,050,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Its about time...I know the develoment of the internet I believe has freed the way for atheism to become perfectly acceptable in the future.
I certainly hope you are right!

Old 11-11-2010, 09:51 PM

39,189 posts, read 10,872,385 times
I just hope it is a real move -on like the rights movements, and not just a fad like El Che and Flower -power. Just keep pumping out the factual and logical basis.

I really do believe that people want to believe that what they believe is based on sound information and I also want to believe that they can't keep bamboozling themselves with illogic and denial.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:40 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,989,805 times
I'm certainly glad to hear about it. There were no such orgs when I was in college, let alone high school.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:48 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,356,437 times
There may be hope for humanity yet!

...and the troubled evolution of our species limps along at a snails pace, hindered by one superstition after another.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:10 AM

2,209 posts, read 3,619,138 times
Wished we had one when I was in High school, good for them.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:08 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,051,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I just hope it is a real move -on like the rights movements, and not just a fad like El Che and Flower -power. Just keep pumping out the factual and logical basis.

I really do believe that people want to believe that what they believe is based on sound information and I also want to believe that they can't keep bamboozling themselves with illogic and denial.
Mostly denial. In the number of conversations I've had with friends and family of the religious persuasion, I've often discovered their own latent disbelief--swept aside because of fear and ignorance. I was listening to my boss attempt to explain how Jesus is the Son and Father at the same time--she couldn't, and fell back on "it just is," an intellectual surrender to reason a child could develop but an adult avoids. It's more comfortable to be ignorant, so instead of challenging their beliefs when questions like this come up, they ignore them, deny they exist.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:51 AM

39,189 posts, read 10,872,385 times
Absolutely. The whole of theist argument is based on an instilled Faith in a particular religion and its scriptures and pretty sound evidence that they don't add up are in the end dismised on the basis of faith.

Naturally, they assume that we think the same way, which is why they look at atheism (including Evilution ) to try to find examples of Faith and dogma.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:19 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,621,863 times
Here is an example of what Atheist groups have to put up with in the university systems. This example is an ongoing battle between a professor and the UNC system. Law suits files and rejected by the courts dealing with claims related to 1st Amendment and religious freedoms have filled the news over the last year, and this summer the statement from the Professor seems to point to his view of religious freedoms being a one way road. Believe in his god or he will disrupt your gatherings. Wonder what would happen if Atheist groups invaded a church with their army of liberal ideas and pointed out what they saw as errors in their religious history, and logic.

This whole issue would be funny if it was not diverting time energy, and money from issues that need to be addressed.

UNCW professor vows to destroy atheist student groups: "I seek power over the godless heathen dissident"

Cory Doctorow at 10:07 PM Sunday, Jul 11, 2010

http://boingboing.net/2010/07/11/unc-prof-vows-to-des.html

A Supreme Court decision forced a California State University Christian society to accept gays as members as a condition of receiving support from the school ("Other groups may exclude or mistreat Jews, blacks, and women -- or those who do not share their contempt for Jews, blacks, and women. A free society must tolerate such groups. It need not subsidize them, give them its official imprimatur, or grant them equal access to law school facilities.").
This ruling has upset Mike Adams, a prof at UNC Wilmington. He's vowed to disrupt Atheist student societies by filling their rosters with Christian evangelical students, "to use my young fundamentalist Christian warriors to undermine the mission of every group that disagrees with me on the existence of God."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or