Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 01:46 PM

12,266 posts, read 2,966,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I agree, but sadly, the same applies to most of the atheists I have met. Flaky, weird, proud of their outsider status, and negative. I can't even say they have been much smarter than average, though I will concede they are usually more educated. At least in the Uinted States.

Now that doesn't mean that I think all atheists possess those traits. I know I don't. But one tends to only notice the ones who wear their wiccanism/atheism/christianity on their sleeves.
That's a good point. Maybe most people who want to wear their beliefs on their sleeve have some sort of a beef with others. Why else try to get attention for something that doesn't usually matter for whatever task is at hand. Sounds like I've had better luck with atheists and agnostics and some here have had better luck with pagans and wiccans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 01:57 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
That's a good point. Maybe most people who want to wear their beliefs on their sleeve have some sort of a beef with others. Why else try to get attention for something that doesn't usually matter for whatever task is at hand. Sounds like I've had better luck with atheists and agnostics and some here have had better luck with pagans and wiccans.
"An atheist, a vegan, and a crossfitter walk into a bar.

I only know because they told everyone within two minutes.
"

Old 11-01-2016, 01:46 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
What does a crossfitter do...yes, fits crosses, but what does that actually entail?

Old 11-01-2016, 02:56 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
What does a crossfitter do...yes, fits crosses, but what does that actually entail?
https://www.crossfit.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CrossFit

"CrossFit is a branded fitness regimen created by Greg Glassman and is a registered trademark of CrossFit, Inc. [...] CrossFit workouts incorporate elements from high-intensity interval training, Olympic weightlifting, plyometrics, powerlifting, gymnastics, girevoy sport, calisthenics, strongman, and other exercises."

Old 11-03-2016, 01:06 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transponder View Post
what does a crossfitter do...yes, fits crosses, but what does that actually entail?
:d <--- broken smile emoticon

This is a cross fitting:

So I guess a crossfitter is someone who installs these things.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
I only know because they told everyone within two minutes.[/i]"
I always wondered about this ... because rarely do I ever find out the religious beliefs of the people I meet. Not unless I end up talking to them on a consistent basis and long enough that there's time for such a discussion. Usually it just doesn't come up in small talk in my experience unless the person is really hot for Jesus or an angsty teen or 20-something atheist just itching to pick a fight.

"Most" atheists you've met, I'm 100% certain, you never knew were atheists.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
:d <--- broken smile emoticon

This is a cross fitting:

So I guess a crossfitter is someone who installs these things.
There you are - my plumbing hasn't worked for years because I couldn't get a workman able or willing to install one of those.Thank you. I preferred to respond to one quip with another (of course I looked up "Crossfitter") rather than start a row, but the idea that atheists (or indeed Vegans, Pagans...and I had never heard of Crossfitters) go around loudly informing everyone about it is just not so. In fact the only ones who are a pub, bus and checkout queue bore are right wing racists who constantly rant on about how the country is being taken over by foreigners "and the useless politicians do nothing about it...what we need is resolute leadership..I'm no Nazi, but Hitler had some good ideas..."

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-03-2016 at 05:45 AM..

Old 11-04-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
There you are - my plumbing hasn't worked for years because I couldn't get a workman able or willing to install one of those.Thank you. I preferred to respond to one quip with another (of course I looked up "Crossfitter") rather than start a row,
Yeah, my post about a crossfitter installing cross fittings was actually supposed to be a quip based off your quip, but the emoticons were broken at the time so I couldn't add the relevant emoticon so it looked like I was being serious.

Quote:
but the idea that atheists (or indeed Vegans, Pagans...and I had never heard of Crossfitters) go around loudly informing everyone about it is just not so. In fact the only ones who are a pub, bus and checkout queue bore are right wing racists who constantly rant on about how the country is being taken over by foreigners "and the useless politicians do nothing about it...what we need is resolute leadership..I'm no Nazi, but Hitler had some good ideas..."
Yeah, I agree. Honestly, I have yet to meet an atheist who threw around his/her atheism everywhere -- which isn't to say there aren't such people -- but even in college, I rarely if ever ran across them. I sat across from an atheist at my gaming table for 2 years and never knew he was one.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:33 AM

The omission of an emoticon only made your rejoinder (of course if I could find out what "Crossfitter" meant, you for sure knew) even more dryly witty. Which is why I treated the Joke in good part and never mind I've been fretting about it for half a page.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:29 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
To the OP: They don't seem to have a mandate from their deities to conquer and subjugate the whole world, so I'm not too worried about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism