Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 06:26 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA Really?
Ya gotta be kiddin' me?

I like the Bible better because of all the por....er I mean all the sex and the violence.
There's hardly any violence in Harry Potter and neither HP or LOR has any sex in it.
The OT has epic stories, but the whole x begot y who begot z is kinda a drag which is why I've always skipped it alot.

As a storyteller myself I find Jesus' parables 1 of my favourite stories.
I dig the fact that he is telling more than just stories.
Well Dang, Tricky D, wouldn't just know it....leave it to the bible to even make sex boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 09:04 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times
Yeah, Creationists never cease to amaze me with their hypocrisy. Everyday, they use things that have come aobut because of science and technology: they wake-up to a digital alarm clock; nuke their coffee and bagel in a microwave; go to work in an automobile; chat on their cellular phones; use their laptops and PCs; listen to music on iPods, and then watch TV that has brought their programs to them through either a cable or a satellite dish.
But when it comes to the fossil record and geological carbon-dating which has proven the Earth is billions of years-old instead of only 6000 years, they claim the science is flawed. What a convenient form or "pick and choose."
After many years of shaking my head in wonderment at their denial and/or naivete, I have now simply come to the conclsuion that belief in Creationism is merely a from of delusional thinking; in other words, a psychiatric disorder. (In fact, I think that the DSM --the psychiatrist's reference book for diagnosis--now actually has a listing for a type of religious delusion.)

Old 01-24-2011, 03:07 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes
Quote:
Well Dang, Tricky D, wouldn't just know it....leave it to the bible to even make sex boring.
LoL if the Bible made sex for you boring it must have some serious mojo.
I guess the Bible has more power over you than you've realised?

Old 01-24-2011, 02:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
Yes. Its power to bore extends even to sex.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:15 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Evolution vs. creation is also being debated in the letter to the editor in my local bird cage liner.

The depth of stupidity and mental laziness expressed is staggering, one of the last moronic reasons expressed to teach creationism is simply because evolution is too complicated to understand.

What's next, if algebra becomes too complicated, just make up an answer.
If you can't remember events in history class, just make up a story.
The "it doesn't make sense" or "it's too hard to understand" arguments are just excuses. If you are a person of faith, The Theory of Evolution is an extremely scary proposition. Accepting Evolution in it's strictest sense means that there is no God. Darwin himself struggled with this notion for many years, which prompted him to hold off publishing until he made sure he had enough evidence to back up his claim.

I think it's unfair to label all believers as small-minded idiots. A person's faith is very much of their identity. From my own personal experience, it is very scary to wake up one day and realize there is no God. Everything that your life has been built upon is a total lie. Some can make it through. Others cannot cope with that harsh reality and choose to bury their heads in the sand rather than facing their ultimate fears.

It's sad to see people I love living a lie, but it also makes them happy. It fulfills a need within them that I cannot explain. As long as they are not hurting anyone, I say to each his own.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes LoL if the Bible made sex for you boring it must have some serious mojo.
I guess the Bible has more power over you than you've realised?
Nope TD, the buy bull did not make sex boring for me, I have enough sense not to believe that stuff. The buy bull says "such and such begat somebody" that's a pretty dry descriptive of sex, and no pictures either---bummer, I'm amazed it ever made the best seller list. A lot of gullible folks out there I guess.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,845 times
What gets me is that evolution isn't that hard to understand.

What exactly is the simpler creationists version of things, I can't help but wonder?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:30 PM

43 posts, read 46,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Accepting Evolution in it's strictest sense means that there is no God.
Well, no, evolution just doesn't require god. One could still believe the laws of nature, and evolution with them, where put in place by something. It's just hard to believe a literal account of most creation stories that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Darwin himself struggled with this notion for many years, which prompted him to hold off publishing until he made sure he had enough evidence to back up his claim.
No actually, Read On the Origin of Species. Darwin was a Christian, and he went to some lengths to say that his theory did not conflict with god. Consider that the text was written for general publication, and was not submitted to scientific journals originally. Creationists sometimes use that point to try to undermine it.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:35 AM

10 posts, read 11,034 times
One would have thought the debate over evolution and creation has already been settled, but it is not so; the debate rages on. It is perplexing to we who see the two not as conflicting concepts, but as one ending where the other begins. To our minds, evolution deals with physical variables, while creation deals with spiritual variables. The two are related, but should not be compared with each other, as they exist in different universes. You may say you don't want to deal with spiritual variables because they do not exist, and effectively end further discussion for now; only to run into the same discussion sooner rather than later.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:45 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes
Quote:
The buy bull says "such and such begat somebody" that's a pretty dry descriptive of sex, and no pictures either---bummer, I'm amazed it ever made the best seller list.
If ya believe that sex is the reason the Bible made the best seller then I'm not amazed at all.

And I must admit hat I rather read the Bible (even when the Bible is nothing but bull) than say a chemistry book or some other boring book with nothing but dry facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism