Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 04:40 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Wow just Wow!! That has got to be the single most ignorant statement I've ever heard. Do us all a favor the next time you get really ill don't go see a doctor. Just pray. You'll be fine.
I've yet to get sick, so maybe the "miracle" has already happened? I've never been immunized either. I don't think of myself as a sick person, so I'm always healthy. Never missed a single day of work or school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 05:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I wouldn't credit God with the "miracle". I'd credit the survivor.
So would I...the conclusion?

Old 12-03-2010, 05:17 AM

The conclusion is that the survivor was better equipped to handle the problem than the doctor was. That the patient had the will or mental power to cure himself. I think we're all capable of healing ourselves, without going to medicine to do it. But that would cost some greedy dudes money, so they don't promote it.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
That is A conclusion, but is it the right one? The assumptions about will power or mental ability are no more than assumptions, since we don't know the circumstances of these supposed healings.

Rational argument says that conclusions are not really justified without all the facts being known. It is also the case that medical treatment is considered more reliable than than Heal Yourself. Past records indicate the same. Health has improved markedly with medical improvements and to ignore all that and focus on a tiny minority of (supposedly) inexplicable cures smacks of biased sampling or looking round for the evidence to fit the conclusion and ignoring the mass of evidence that doesn't.

The well - poisoning of suggesting that it's all a scam to keep the gravy train going is a favourite smear of the cultists - not themselves averse from publishing sensationalist Gods from outer space literature.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:15 AM

They've done studies that have concluded that one's mental outlook has a strong control over one's health.

Unfortunately, all the variables with never be known, as there are things about us we don't know, and things about us, others don't know. That is probably half of the facts.

I guess the fact that I myself have never been sick is anomalous.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've yet to get sick, so maybe the "miracle" has already happened? I've never been immunized either. I don't think of myself as a sick person, so I'm always healthy. Never missed a single day of work or school.
You know what we call people like you? A vector.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 AM

I not E.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:06 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by TKramar
Quote:
I not E.
LoL.
Too bad I can't rep ya, again.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:23 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default ...and a Happy New Year!

It dawned on me just now, after reading the last half of this thread, that TK is to functioning sociology as Campbell34 is to credible Christianity.

As well, despite his constant assurances that he has no social contact beyond, perhaps, trips to the hardware and fuel store, however THIS is his lone social construct: arguing on C-D with those of us who actually have a functioning, happy family and social life. Of course our practical references and suggestions do not resonate with this guy.

Well, anyhow..... as was appropriately stated by BoxCar, TK:

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:45 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
It dawned on me just now, after reading the last half of this thread, that TK is to functioning sociology as Campbell34 is to credible Christianity.

As well, despite his constant assurances that he has no social contact beyond, perhaps, trips to the hardware and fuel store, however THIS is his lone social construct: arguing on C-D with those of us who actually have a functioning, happy family and social life. Of course our practical references and suggestions do not resonate with this guy.

Well, anyhow..... as was appropriately stated by BoxCar, TK:

Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism