Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:08 PM

138 posts, read 254,479 times

Advertisements

I was standing in line today and overheard a man who was dressed like he had just gotten out of Church talking to his friend behind me. Paraphrased, he said, "I think these young college students who study the earth and what not, tend to lose their logic, and get tied up too much in things like carbon-dating."

I knew there would be no winning a debate with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 10:10 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Great link. Would you believe that was written in 1996?
It still seems so fresh and relevant today.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:11 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,675 times
There's no sense in getting into a serious debate with people who've made up their minds already, facts and evidence be damned.

You see it here all the time in any evolution thread. Lot's of "not-uh!!!" responses and a desperate need to get the last word in. It's their way of "winning," I guess. Toss that in with all sorts of ridiculous assumptions/border line insults made about us "evil-doers" and you've got a winning formula for failure. That and some people are just blatant liars.

It's also amazing the amount of trash some people get away with saying, all because it falls within their religion. Example: "God killed the Jews as punishment in the Holocaust and they deserved it." Say anything like that outside of a religious context, and you'd be very rightfully viewed as a despicable human being. But this is faith and religion we're talking about here, so it needs to be handled gently and with special care

Old 12-21-2010, 11:13 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Great link. Would you believe that was written in 1996?
It still seems so fresh and relevant today.
It is relevant today because you just can't fix stupid.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:59 PM

27 posts, read 56,017 times
Well, I learned this lesson when I got into a small debate about the repeal of DADT - in the end I basically was told I dont know what Im talking about because Im an atheist, and cant understand that our nation will be punished for its sins... I should have expected it, she is the same person who said that Atheists have no moral code. *kanye shrug*

Old 12-22-2010, 03:33 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
For the life of me, I can't imagine why I would ever want to debate with a Christian. My many Christian friends seem happy with their beliefs, so why should I want to change them?

Of course, I am always curious what people believe and why they believe it. I am even starting to understand why Democrats think the way they do.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
For the life of me, I can't imagine why I would ever want to debate with a Christian. My many Christian friends seem happy with their beliefs, so why should I want to change them?
Not sure where you live, but here in the buy bull belt it's more that they want to change everyone else and mandate what is believed, what is taught in our schools, and mandate the rules of their imaginary friend on all.

The American Taliban is as great a threat to the future of freedoms as the Taliban in the ME. Actually a greater threat as they are here, have their minions already in seats of power, and few recognize the danger.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:16 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
As a Christian who is not a fundie, I would kindly ask that you not lump all of us in with the weirdo's who try and turn the U.S. into a theology.

There are many things in the article I agree with. The one's who think like those in the article scare me as much as you, probably more they give me a bad name.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:20 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
I don't worry much about Christians, there delusions along with that of the Catholics is waning, along with the power and money of there leaders.
Now the Muslims on the other hand are still quite dangerous, If you feel the need to debate with someone about there moronic belief in a magic bearded man in the sky, feel free, just be aware that when they lose they tend to blow themselve's and others around them up.

bill

Last edited by roadrat; 12-24-2010 at 07:33 AM..

Old 12-24-2010, 07:32 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Not sure where you live, but here in the buy bull belt it's more that they want to change everyone else and mandate what is believed, what is taught in our schools, and mandate the rules of their imaginary friend on all.

The American Taliban is as great a threat to the future of freedoms as the Taliban in the ME. Actually a greater threat as they are here, have their minions already in seats of power, and few recognize the danger.
C'mon your not seriously worried about Christians are you? there only pushing this crap because there power and influence is waning.
and there so called minions in power are easily out numbered by other greedy minions in power for other groups. ie big business.

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism