U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,119,247 times

Advertisements

Help, I want to start reading either The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins or God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens, and because reading is time consuming, I want to know which one I am better off reading, if I had to choose one. Let me know what you would suggest. Thanks.

P.S. So far, i have read Atheist Universe by David Mills and I am currently finishing up Godless by Dan Barker. Both very good books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:34 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,510,451 times
I've wondered that too. I'm anxious to see which one wins out. Although, any of them would be really interesting.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,093,537 times
I liked The God Delusion more, but I did like Hitchens, don't get me wrong. If you can only read one, I'd vote Dawkins.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:15 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,974,576 times
I agree. Dawkins is more even-handed and analytical, IMO. God is not Great by Hitchens is a fun book to read, though.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:01 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,854,403 times
I'd had to give the edge to The God Delusion here.

Hitchens book mainly points out why religion is stupid and the stupid things people do because of it. Much of it came across as a long rant more than anything to me, which is all well and good, but it's all stuff just about any atheist already knows.

Dawkins book also points out things such as just how stupid and cruel the Bible God is, but he only devotes a fraction of the book to it. His book covers more than Hitchens does and is more of a thinking person's read, if I may put it that way.

I was a little annoyed that he spent time on the whole atheist vs agnosticism comparisons. It was really pretty pointless. That and he does have a tendency to ramble on and on and on and on at times when it doesn't feel necessary.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 PM

8,936 posts, read 8,400,927 times
Go with the God Delusion. It is a slightly tougher read, but a more thorough consideration of the topic. Hitchens is a great writer, and the book is a quick read, but there is much less substance.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:01 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,407,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Help, I want to start reading either The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins or God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens, and because reading is time consuming, I want to know which one I am better off reading, if I had to choose one. Let me know what you would suggest. Thanks.

P.S. So far, i have read Atheist Universe by David Mills and I am currently finishing up Godless by Dan Barker. Both very good books.
I enjoyed "God Delusion" alot more. For one, Dawkins has a much better sense of humor than Hitchens, and some of his sarcasm will habe you laughing out loud, whereas Hitchens' book is mainly a lament and a diatribe--albeit a well-deserved one--against organized religions, especially the fundamentalist ones.
Also, Dawkins is a top-flight, world-renowned Biologist, so he takes on the scientific reasoning why God almost certainly doesn't and couldn't exist. Hitchens, meanwhile, primarily attack the True Believers, which are such an easy target anyway. Most of what Hitchens tells you, you probably already know. The God Delusion is alot more thought-provoking. It will also give you some good scientific ammo next time you go up against a fundie.
Not that it will help! LOL.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:32 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,618,982 times
I have the both, and started with the God Delusion but think both are good books to expand your knowledge.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:00 AM

176 posts, read 252,809 times
The God Delusion, but both are good!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:13 AM

705 posts, read 943,601 times
I have both, about half way through The God Delusion, excellent book, very informative and intelligently written. Havent started Hitchens book yet, cant wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism