U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:20 AM

7,476 posts, read 4,200,549 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if you take part in Christmas celebrations of any sort.

Do you avoid the holiday Christmas parties at work citing moral objection?

Do you put up a Christmas tree and/or holiday decorations or exchange gifts with anyone?

Do you give back your Christmas bonus (if you get one) or Christmas gift from your boss?

All of the atheists that I personally know still take part in Christmas festivities, put up Christmas trees, and exchange gifts with friends and family. Most even send out holiday cards. What gives??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 10:24 AM

24,770 posts, read 11,199,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post

Do you put up a Christmas tree and/or holiday decorations or exchange gifts with anyone?

Do you give back your Christmas bonus (if you get one) or Christmas gift from your boss?

All of the atheists that I personally know still take part in Christmas festivities, put up Christmas trees, and exchange gifts with friends and family. Most even send out holiday cards. What gives??
I'm a Deist, which means I don't believe in a God that is beholden to any certain religious belief. I believe there is a creator, but that creator has no direct role in our lives. By creator that could be aliens, advanced time travelling humans, or something we don't know about yet.

Yes, I still get together with my family on December 25th. They celebrate Christs mass, I celebrate my sons birthday (yes, born on Dec 25th). Yes, I still buy them gifts, because I just like buying family stuff sometimes.

But no, I don't put up a Christmas tree, I don't send cards, I don't do a lot of things that others do, because I simply feel that its a waste of money to celebrate the birth of a deity I don't believe in.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 AM

968 posts, read 1,188,622 times
Quote:

Sounds like you answered your own question.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:27 AM

17,862 posts, read 11,638,651 times
Quote:

I'm self-employed, so avoiding Christmas parties is not a problem, no excuse need be given.

Quote:
Absolutely not. Christmas trees are a stupid and dangerous custom.

Quote:
I don't give myself, or anyone else who works for me, a Christmas bonus.

Quote:
You obviously need to get out more often.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 AM

10,746 posts, read 7,647,968 times
Quote:

Why do you care

Old 12-12-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Why do you care
I don't personally care who celebrates Christmas, but I do find it ironic that so many self-professed atheists still take part in the festivities. I'm just wondering why that is? Do you have a problem with me asking, and if so, why?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:35 AM

5,291 posts, read 6,667,260 times
What part of office parties, bonuses, decorated pine trees, and the materialism of spending too much money on gifts has anything to do with celebrating the birth of Christ?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:36 AM

968 posts, read 1,188,622 times
Quote:
I don't personally care who celebrates Christmas, but I do find it ironic that so many self-professed atheists still take part in the festivities. I'm just wondering why that is? Do you have a problem with me asking, and if so, why?

Hmmm. You make it sound as if Christmas is a religous holiday?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
What part of office parties, bonuses, decorated pine trees, and the materialism of spending too much money on gifts has anything to do with celebrating the birth of Christ?
These are traditional ways (not all-inclusive) that many Christians celebrate the birth of Christ. Would these things exist at the levels they do if it weren't for Christmas?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:39 AM

10,746 posts, read 7,647,968 times
Quote:
Nope, you can ask .... I really don't care either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism