Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:38 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,640 times

Advertisements

Why is it that if you're not religious in this country almost all religious people will refer to you as an atheist When in fact atheists make up less than a third of self identified non religious people in most surveys?

I've noticed this particularly on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 08:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
I actually know the answer to this one. It's because they truly believe there is only one God, that it specifically is Biblegod and that therefore, if anyone believes in anything else, they're actually not believing in anything. Yes, there IS that degree of arrogance.

There is also the fact that so many people at least claim to be Christian (in the U.S., anyway -- I can't vouch for elsewhere in the world) that they can't even imagine anyone choosing something that isn't Christianity, but still encompasses a belief in a higher being (two exceptions being the Jews, who "were wrong" -- again, the gall!!!) and Islam (which everybody KNOWS is purely Satanic and all about blowing things and people up, duh).

Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Most people think in black and white. If you're not Christian (or [insert religion]) you're atheist. One or the other. There's no in between, gray area. It's either or and that's it. Us vs. them.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:06 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,291 times
Assuming this country is the United States we're talking about here, it's because many believers in America are incapable of thinking outside their Bibles.

"But the Bible says" is all they need.

People just can't accept a religion or belief system that isn't bookish. Words from a bunch of semi-literate people who've been dead for a few thousand years mean a lot. It's God himself talking, by golly

Besides, didn't you know: any teaching that doesn't proclaim Jesus is the only way is from Satan? People who believe in "false teachings" are just as bad as atheist, if not worse. At least us damn heathens aren't trying to pollute impressionable minds with false teachings, leading them to an afterlife of hellfire and endless torment.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:35 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,320 times
It could be that most, if not all, religions see the world as good or evil (black or white). You're either good (religious) or evil (non-religious) and since Agnostics do not believe in a particular "GOD" we fall on the evil side on the line as non-believers. And, as Atheist know, non believers are dammed to a place they don't believe in.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
I'd rather suppose that, if you don't actually 'deny' God (as they call it) it is taken that you are actually bolstering the numbers of the faithful.

But then, the theists are always good at twisting the figures to prove whatever they want to prove. Such as while Christianity is ever on the increase things are getting worse because of the increase of godlessness.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:41 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
It could be that most, if not all, religions see the world as good or evil (black or white). You're either good (religious) or evil (non-religious) and since Agnostics do not believe in a particular "GOD" we fall on the evil side on the line as non-believers. And, as Atheist know, non believers are dammed to a place they don't believe in.
Most religions do not have the concept of a "Good" deity and an "Evil" deity. Their gods are what they are and evil actually comes from man. This is almost exclusively a Christian/Jewish/Muslim concept.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:15 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Most religions do not have the concept of a "Good" deity and an "Evil" deity. Their gods are what they are and evil actually comes from man. This is almost exclusively a Christian/Jewish/Muslim concept.
I must plead guilty of stereotyping all religions . Indeed you are right, I guess the devil made me do it!

Old 12-17-2010, 11:26 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Why is it that if you're not religious in this country almost all religious people will refer to you as an atheist When in fact atheists make up less than a third of self identified non religious people in most surveys?

I've noticed this particularly on this forum.
That's interesting. The only people who've tried to label me as an atheist on CD are atheists. The religious ones here don't seem to care. IRL, though, I've known atheists for years before ever knowing they considered themselves as such - and not one has tried to label me. However, IRL, only christians have ever 'accused' me of being an atheist. And yes, in that context it was an accusation. Overall, I have less trouble with someone labeling me as something other than themselves than I do with people trying to claim me as one of their own (when I don't make that claim myself).

Old 12-17-2010, 03:17 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
In the end the only person who can decide is you, but I rather suspect that the atheists have the better logical argument for what a self - proclaimed 'agnostic' really believes, or doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism