Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,128,051 times

Advertisements

I used to believe in lots of things like Santa Clause, The Easter Bunny,The Tooth Fairy and The Boogy Man. Then at around 8 or 9 I started to think for myself and the idea of God seemed completely preposterous and asinine. Why would a god create such a flawed race like us. A visit to Africa or India is enough to tell anyone there is no god watching over the human race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 09:29 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,882,178 times
Even though I am not a believer, I like to say, "God didn't give you a brain so someone else could tell you what to believe."

It is good to see so many people who are happy to think for themselves.

If there were a god, he would be proud of you. If you just believed what you were told, he would probably be kicking himself and thinking, "Now why did I waste that wonderful brain on this idiot?"

Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,597,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I absolutely agree. Growing up in Baptistville USA, I was never given the opportunity to hear the other side. We were not allowed to think about anything. Letting our thoughts wander was given the Devil control of our minds... ironically turns out to be mind-control of church leaders. We had exorcisms happen in youth meetings and were told not to tell our parents because anyone not there wouldn't understand. I was controlled by fear which is very powerful thing. On a different note, my 10 year old daughter told me this weekend that she doesn't believe in God. My 12 year old son does however.
Well, I wish him all the best and, if he sticks with that, no real harm done. I have known theists able to function perfectly well in the real world. Encourage him to always question and hope for the best.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-20-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,894,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Even though I am not a believer, I like to say, "God didn't give you a brain so someone else could tell you what to believe."

It is good to see so many people who are happy to think for themselves.

If there were a god, he would be proud of you. If you just believed what you were told, he would probably be kicking himself and thinking, "Now why did I waste that wonderful brain on this idiot?"

All in all, an excellent perspective, hiker45. I'd like to use your quote in the future; it's very appropos!

(BTW, I get to apply my skeptical attitude; we're outbound today to our extended family in California, where there is a huge family Christmas Eve and Day dinner. The majority of them on my wife's brother's side, are dedicated, ardent Churchy-type Roman Catholics who will be attending Christmas Eve Mass en-masse.)

I'll just smile a lot, I think, and strategize how to get "dibs" on the best veggies while the family are all praying during this well-known pagan festival!

Cheers and Peace to you all! Especially to our mis-guided troops in Iraq and Afghanistant. Keep you heads down; let the aerial drones do the work!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:43 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,597,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
. Keep you heads down; let the aerial drones do the work!
May Random factors operate in your favor and remember, we know you have guts - we'd just prefer to see you hang onto them.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,092,178 times
I can never understand why, when people ask "Do you believe in God?" they don't elaborate as to exactly what their personal definition of God is? I mean, are we talking about the petty, jealous, homicidal Old Testament God, or rather the cold, unfeeling, non-personal, yet highly-intelligent and creative God of Einstein, as well as of other Deists?
For the record, I am a recovering Catholic who now believes in the latter. But this New Age God does supply and proffer is a profound force that can be tapped into. Synchronicity offers us a glimpse of how this can work.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:31 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,994,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I always doubted, even when I was very little and couldn't really put my thoughts into words. It all just didn't make sense but I didn't know why and because everyone around me believed and didn't doubt (or at least they never said they did), I felt like something was wrong with me, it took years before I could openly talk about it all and figure out why and what I did and didn't believe.
I always felt like there was something wrong with me too. No matter how hard I tried, I never "felt the Holy Spirit" or "heard the voice of God". I just thought I wasn't a good enough Christian and didn't have a close enough walk with the Lord.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:56 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,933,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I always felt like there was something wrong with me too. No matter how hard I tried, I never "felt the Holy Spirit" or "heard the voice of God". I just thought I wasn't a good enough Christian and didn't have a close enough walk with the Lord.
That's the thing: we always blame ourselves. "We" must have done something wrong, or not done enough of something or...something. If not for this guilt, we'd NEVER go back again and again and again to something that didn't work at all. Guilt and fear (of Hell, for example) have got to be the two biggest enforcers of religion throughout history.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,994,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That's the thing: we always blame ourselves. "We" must have done something wrong, or not done enough of something or...something. If not for this guilt, we'd NEVER go back again and again and again to something that didn't work at all. Guilt and fear (of Hell, for example) have got to be the two biggest enforcers of religion throughout history.
Definitely. I followed all the rules and still couldn't make it work. And, then I couldn't talk about it to anyone for fear of judgement, condemnation, etc. When I finally let go of the myth, which was very scary for me, things suddenly began to make a lot more sense. Now I view those people who "hear" God or "feel" the Holy Spirit as being very superstitious and slightly on the mental side. You know... believing something so hard that you become delusional. Your brain is a very powerful thing. Couple that with a group of people who have the art of mind-control, it becomes a dangerous combination.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 AM

23,168 posts, read 26,128,216 times
I thought I did.
Like others have said, I figured I just wasn't being good enough to warrent the 'feeling' of this supposed presence.
With more age, experience, thought and maturity it eventually became obvious it was because there wasn't 'anybody there' to sense.
That was when improving my life and myself as to how I thought a person should be started......once I knew it was up to only me to do it....not praying for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism