Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:10 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,700,727 times

Advertisements

I'm lucky I live in the least religious state in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 09:54 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,548,898 times
Religion rears its ugly head on occasion where I live (although, I'm in the more 'country' area so I can avoid it if I don't go too far into town) but it's mostly in the form of flyers, car washes and irritating picketers picketing anything and everything that isn't 'godly'. We have a very well known church 'compound' near the High School that spends most of it's time luring children in with their pretty awesome new building/light/sound shows and then *BAM* bible study! Pretty sneaky if you ask me.

But in general, my friends and family know I'm an Atheist, most of my coworkers are either Atheist, Agnostic or don't really give a crap. My extended family is Pagan and I still attend their rituals and solstice parties and they couldn't care less about my beliefs as long as I'm there to party

Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 AM

56 posts, read 121,436 times
My Girlfriend and I are equally in the Closet about being Atheisit. I feel like 40% of Americans are. I see it as more of a social order tool. There are good things about Christianity. Which help society function as a whole.

In it's essence. It supports a family unit. Doing good to others. Thinking of something larger than yourself. I believe all of these things are good. Trust me. As a teenager. I have broken down how religion is also used to oppress. But I am a free thinking Individual, and I'm not going to be drinking any Kool-Aid anytime soon.

- Tithing seems ridiculous. Why does God need my money. If you plainly said that you need money for the lights, Salary, or whatever charity you are trying to do. That is fine. I will right you a check. But don't preach to me that 10% is God's money. lol Seriously?

So I'm in the "openingly" in the closet because I like the Social Order Christianity provides.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:32 PM

467 posts, read 1,185,242 times
No, but I was up until a few years ago. Moved here to the south in 2004, and by 2007-08-ish I couldn't take it anymore. I had to stand my ground so to speak.

My close friends, Grandparents, Husband, children, and Mother know I'm an atheist - not so sure about the in-laws, who are hardcore Baptists. Step Father in-law is actually a part-time preacher. I know they have good intentions, and still love and accept us even though we continuously answer "No" when asked if we've found a church or have been attending church. I've made roundabout remarks regarding my stance on religion and believers around my young sister in-law though. I feel okay doing this since she is definitely the born into it/way of life kind of follower - so I'm sure it has made its way back to my in-laws at one point.

With that said, she recently got married as an escape to get out of her parent's home.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:10 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,421,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Though I don't live in the Bible Belt (though there's plenty of religion rammed down the throat even in West London!) I'd say what I'd say to any atheist or theist, too, if they were asking about what should be their approach to religion - Do what feels comfortable for you.

You have to make the best of your life and those who might take it upon themselves to advise you don't have to walk in your shoes.

The main point is that the theists may control your community but they can't control your mind.
That's true. One thing they will never do is actually convince me to believe in their BS.

And that's definitely true. They don't have to walk in my shoes. So many people don't get just how offensive it is to imply I caused my disability because of my atheism. But I'd rather not even go there with people so I just tell them I'm a Jesus follower.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,807,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JClyde View Post

So I'm in the "openingly" in the closet because I like the Social Order Christianity provides.
Yeah, I suppose brain washing is one method to attain social order.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:17 AM

37,055 posts, read 42,006,001 times
I don't know that I'm closeted as much as I'm a mystery. Mostly what I say, if asked, is that I'm not religious. When pressed I will be honest but I don't like talking about religion with people and try to avoid it. When others talk about it I just remain quiet and wait for the subject to change. Some folks get all bent out of shape if they find out and I don't like confrontations because I WILL end up insulting them and their beleifs if they can't leave it alone. I hate when that happens.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 AM

192 posts, read 434,512 times
Not "in the closet" (family and close friends know, FB profile states "atheist"), but when it comes to coworkers and casual acquaintances I basically go with a "don't ask don't tell" approach (more homosexuality parallels!). Not because I'm afraid of what people might say or think, but more because I'm expecting similar treatment in return - I don't want to hear about their religion, they probably don't want to hear about my lack of faith (would that this reciprocity always occur!).

Specifically regarding the workplace - it's not really an appropriate topic anyway (throw politics in there too). And for those of you worried about your religious boss, remember that employer discrimination based on religion is illegal under federal law (Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964).

Old 12-31-2010, 06:38 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,421,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbbphh View Post
Specifically regarding the workplace - it's not really an appropriate topic anyway (throw politics in there too). And for those of you worried about your religious boss, remember that employer discrimination based on religion is illegal under federal law (Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964).
That's nice and all but they can just make it really hard for you to still work there or can come up with a million other "reasons" why you're not fit to work there anymore.

I've been discriminated against when applying for jobs time and time again and only one person was stupid enough to actually mention my disability as the reason. Everyone else said something like "we've already found an ideal candidate" or "we'll be in touch" and never got back in touch because they know if they give a vague excuse I can't file a lawsuit. It was pretty obvious it was about the deafblindness because my hearing-sighted roommate got a job from the same people the same day more than once.

The discrimination laws only help if your boss is stupid enough to actually list that as the reason for firing/not hiring you. So that said, I would never talk about my religious beliefs or lack thereof with my boss because even if he can't legally fire me on that basis, he could still make it really hard for me to keep working there!

Not to mention my boss already thinks I'm religious because I got the job through a friend who assumed I was a Christian and passed that onto him. I'm not sure if he cares directly, but I do know that living in the Bible Belt, if anyone discriminated against me for being a Christian, a lot more people would jump up in my defense than if anyone ever discriminated against me for being an atheist. In that regard I do hold an advantage.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:04 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,507,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JClyde View Post
My Girlfriend and I are equally in the Closet about being Atheisit. I feel like 40% of Americans are. I see it as more of a social order tool. There are good things about Christianity. Which help society function as a whole.

In it's essence. It supports a family unit. Doing good to others. Thinking of something larger than yourself. I believe all of these things are good. Trust me. As a teenager. I have broken down how religion is also used to oppress. But I am a free thinking Individual, and I'm not going to be drinking any Kool-Aid anytime soon.

- Tithing seems ridiculous. Why does God need my money. If you plainly said that you need money for the lights, Salary, or whatever charity you are trying to do. That is fine. I will right you a check. But don't preach to me that 10% is God's money. lol Seriously?

This is the best argument there is for Christianity, that it is a force for the betterment of society. I do have a few issues with that, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism