Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times

Advertisements

I'm not a libertarian. I'm conservative about some issues, liberal about others, and just plain weird about still others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
I am an atheist and most certainly NOT a libertarian

There are 2 types of libertarians in America. The Fundamental right wing lunatics, and the true "don't tread on me" libertarians. I am not either.

The government is not perfect, but it does a lot of things correctly that it doesn't get credit for. There are alot of edifices of "society" that I enjoy everyday that would not exist without the federal government.

If you want to look at a REAL libertarian society in practice, just look at Indian Reservations. They embrace every true libertarian ideal. No federal government, and a small and weak centralized government. They are not nice places to live, especially if you are poor.

I am a LIBERAL who likes to practice common sense.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Some maybe. However I am not entirely sure either of them lead to each other in any general sense, but maybe it is likely that both have a common ancestor so to speak . . .
Well, you cropped my quote to exclude the common denominator that I had explicitly identified, namely Objectivist philosophy.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:19 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Some people say they are libertarian, but..

The Libertarian party supports the right of women to control their own bodies.

Ron Paul does not.
Ron Paul on Abortion

Neither does his son
Abortion | Rand Paul 2010 | U.S. Senate (http://www.randpaul2010.com/issues/a-g/abortion-2/ - broken link)

Both are against federal intervention, but they want the states to pass laws about it. How is that libertarian?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:33 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
Guilty, Libertarian here, but Agnostic. I have tossed out both myths of government and religion. To me they are equal. I can tolerate them even see the need for them but I would prefer to limit them in my home and affairs. To me, religion and government, and their followers, parallel each other. To me, they both seek dominance and control, they both require leaders and servants, they require YOU to give money so the entity can grow; all in the name of others or “doing the right thing”. Even there in the phrase, “Doing the right thing” IMO is a step too far, telling me what is right and what is wrong. I am the center of my life, who best knows it than me, who best knows right from wrong than me, in my life. Religion and government, stay out, I am my own keeper! If you need help and I can give it, I will, gladly! (but my family comes first!)

Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Guilty, Libertarian here, but Agnostic. I have tossed out both myths of government and religion. To me they are equal. I can tolerate them even see the need for them but I would prefer to limit them in my home and affairs. To me, religion and government, and their followers, parallel each other. To me, they both seek dominance and control, they both require leaders and servants, they require YOU to give money so the entity can grow; all in the name of others or “doing the right thing”. Even there in the phrase, “Doing the right thing” IMO is a step too far, telling me what is right and what is wrong. I am the center of my life, who best knows it than me, who best knows right from wrong than me, in my life. Religion and government, stay out, I am my own keeper! If you need help and I can give it, I will, gladly! (but my family comes first!)
Are you a member of the Libertarian party of America?

If so, how did you reconcile their supposed ideals and their nominaton of Bob Barr, a neo-conservative politician who actually WROTE the Defense of Marriage Act preventing gay marriage from being recognized by the federal government EVEN IF the state in question approved it?

Not attacking you. Just wondering.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 01-04-2011 at 12:25 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Overall, I would tend to identify most closely as liberal, but with some strong libertarian tendencies.

I belief that markets should be regulated, and that some programs for the public good are best left to government (highways, national defense, environmental protection).

I object to government interference in most personal aspects to life. The government should stay out of our bedrooms, let people consume drugs if they want, support marriage as a contractual arrangement between any 2 adults (and maybe more).

Overall, a bit of a weird mixture from the standard left:right debate.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Some people say they are libertarian, but..

The Libertarian party supports the right of women to control their own bodies.

Ron Paul does not.
Ron Paul on Abortion

Neither does his son
Abortion | Rand Paul 2010 | U.S. Senate (http://www.randpaul2010.com/issues/a-g/abortion-2/ - broken link)

Both are against federal intervention, but they want the states to pass laws about it. How is that libertarian?
For starters, the Libertarian Party is not the final word on what constitutes a libertarian position. Second, both pro-and anti-abortion positions can be squared with libertarian philosophy. The fundamental basis of libertarianism is the protection of life, liberty and property. If you believe a fetus is a living being, then protecting that living being is consistent with libertarian philosophy. If you do not, than being pro-choice is also consistent with the libertarian principle of the right of bodily integrity.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
For starters, the Libertarian Party is not the final word on what constitutes a libertarian position. Second, both pro-and anti-abortion positions can be squared with libertarian philosophy. The fundamental basis of libertarianism is the protection of life, liberty and property. If you believe a fetus is a living being, then protecting that living being is consistent with libertarian philosophy. If you do not, than being pro-choice is also consistent with the libertarian principle of the right of bodily integrity.
While you might argue that protection of life is Libertarian in terms of abortion, I don't think Libertarians can support state interference (even in the case of the States not the federal government)

Old 01-04-2011, 02:22 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
I'm an agnostic, but hold no brief whatsoever against the faith-abiding. I am also probably best described as a Libertarian. I'm not quite fully in the Libertarian camp insofar as I don't share their isolationist tendencies. On that count I'm more of a Reaganite Conservative.
(And yet Reagan was a religious man so go figure.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism