Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:14 PM

419 posts, read 868,692 times

Advertisements

I was checking out the Freedom From Religion Foundation website and came across this:

Quote:
We do have a policy that avowed gays and atheists are not allowed to be a registered leader or member of Boy Scouts of America. It’s a longstanding policy.
Pat Currie, BSA Circle Ten Council, explaining why a gay Texas man was forced out as a Scout leader
CNN, 10-20-10
So I started delving into what the Boy Scouts of America is all about--and it's not all knot tying and fire-making. One thing that stuck out to me is the U.S. government's involvement with the BSA. I still want to learn more, but so far I see that if a teen earns his Eagle Scout certificate, then he can skip the Army's E1 pay and go to E2, which amounts to an extra $2,128/year. Which is sweet, if you're prepared to be all religious and stuff like this:

Quote:
The Boy Scout Handbook (11th ed.) explains a Scouts’ “duty to God” as “Your family and religious leaders teach you about God and the ways you can serve. You do your duty to God by following the wisdom of those teachings every day and by respecting and defending the rights of others to practice their own beliefs.” The Handbook explains “reverent” as “A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.”
All levels of advancement in the Scouting program have requirements recognizing “duty to God”
I can see the pay raise for the stuff an eagle scout has learned, but I question whether or not our government should recognize a faith-based organization like that, especially when they reject gays and atheists. My husband says I'm kooky for thinking anything's amiss with this. What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 08:38 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
When I enlisted I skipped E-1 and E-2. I went directly to E-3 due to the 6-year contract that I signed.

Also anyone who plays with Sea Cadets, Devil Dogs, Civil Air Patrol, JROTC or NJROTC may also receive the same benefit.

When I first enlisted I had been a Sea Cadet, so I was offered E-3 due to my previous involvement them. However I went instead for this other contract which also gave me E-3, plus my contract gave me E-4 as soon as I graduated my A-school.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
I'm an atheist.

I enjoyed the heck out of my time in Boy Scouts. Wasn't an Eagle but I did get to Life. If the army gives an Eagle a boost to E2, it's OK by me. Eagles have a lot of skills and knowledge that the average recruit lacks. I'd bet that the army didn't just capriciously slap that policy into place. They did it based on experience, more than likely.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
I'd like to think it's because of the obvious advantages gained by a person with prior experience in a structured organization with various positions of "command" and discipline. Plus, of course, the practical things, like them knots, understanding survival and comfort while in the woods and weather, etc. But I also agree; the religious link and benefits thing is troubling.

I also understand that the BSA is a private organization with a strong Christian ethical base, and as such it does, in my mind, have the absolute right, legally and ethically, to limit membership to those who agree with it's basic tenets, and to deny it to those who would perhaps foment an internal argument.

It's odd; I was a Cub Scout and Boy Scout in Canada, and I cannot remember any religious stuff at all. We may have had to say the Lord's Prayer, but I don't recall it. Hardly any Christian influence. Mayhaps it's a different perspective in Canada? Any other Canadians with scouting experiences?

BTW, I went on to Air Cadets, and then the Canadian Army SeaForth Highlanders (72nd Rgmnt.) Reserve unit. No difference in compensation because of past organization involvement.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:46 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,000,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaida View Post
I was checking out the Freedom From Religion Foundation website and came across this:

So I started delving into what the Boy Scouts of America is all about--and it's not all knot tying and fire-making. One thing that stuck out to me is the U.S. government's involvement with the BSA. I still want to learn more, but so far I see that if a teen earns his Eagle Scout certificate, then he can skip the Army's E1 pay and go to E2, which amounts to an extra $2,128/year. Which is sweet, if you're prepared to be all religious and stuff like this:

I can see the pay raise for the stuff an eagle scout has learned, but I question whether or not our government should recognize a faith-based organization like that, especially when they reject gays and atheists. My husband says I'm kooky for thinking anything's amiss with this. What say you?
I think the God vibe can be overlooked in this case. The incentive is not b/c the Eagle Scout is a Bible thumper. It's the fact that they have learned valuable skills and have demonstrated a level of dedication that goes beyond the average Joe.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
I watched an episode of Penn and Teller's show about this very thing. Apparently, the whole religion thing varied from troop to troop. They sent out letters to different troops saying that they were atheists and that their son was atheist but wanted to join the boy scouts. The replies were varied. Some troops had no problem with it whatsoever.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Also anyone who plays with Sea Cadets, Devil Dogs, Civil Air Patrol, JROTC or NJROTC may also receive the same benefit.
As far as I know, though, none of these programs have religious overtones to them like the Boy Scouts of America does.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I'm an atheist.

I enjoyed the heck out of my time in Boy Scouts. Wasn't an Eagle but I did get to Life. If the army gives an Eagle a boost to E2, it's OK by me. Eagles have a lot of skills and knowledge that the average recruit lacks. I'd bet that the army didn't just capriciously slap that policy into place. They did it based on experience, more than likely.
I see nothing wrong with the military giving a higher pay rate to those enlistees who have demonstrated the advanced skills and knowledge required for this line of work. I do see a problem with the government, however backhandly, supporting an institution that is bigoted against groups of people.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I'd like to think it's because of the obvious advantages gained by a person with prior experience in a structured organization with various positions of "command" and discipline. Plus, of course, the practical things, like them knots, understanding survival and comfort while in the woods and weather, etc. But I also agree; the religious link and benefits thing is troubling.

I also understand that the BSA is a private organization with a strong Christian ethical base, and as such it does, in my mind, have the absolute right, legally and ethically, to limit membership to those who agree with it's basic tenets, and to deny it to those who would perhaps foment an internal argument.
On one hand, maybe I'm just being nitpicky about this. It sounds like scouts learn a lot of things that are applicable to a military career. I don't want to discredit that, not at all. But I still get an antsy feeling in my gut about it. I'd feel better if the government chose to only recognize training programs that didn't deny groups of people from being members/leaders just because of their sexual orientation or their lack of belief in God.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I think the God vibe can be overlooked in this case. The incentive is not b/c the Eagle Scout is a Bible thumper. It's the fact that they have learned valuable skills and have demonstrated a level of dedication that goes beyond the average Joe.
I see your point. But I still see an injustice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism